Have you gotten the swine flu vaccine yet?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacks'thunder

Reaction score
I'm just wondering because I'm kinda confused as to what to do. I'm just not sure yet... My son is almost 6 and in kindergarden, I work in retail with lots of people. I really have not been able to see much on the news(horrable digital tv won't let me get many local stations when I need it!). I'm really nervous about this shot but I want to do whats right for my son.

Whats your honest opinions on this shot?

Thanks!

Ok honest...too new, not enough feedback on long term effects..nope, not doing it.

I haven't gotten it for me or my kids, one works at a day care and the other is in 8th grade. I'm not sure if I will or not, I haven't heard of any of the long term side effects.

I DO plan to get it, and if I still had young children at home, they'd definately be getting it as well.

We won't be getting it and we are in a high risk group. I am pregnant, our 6 yr old was a preemie with lung disease, we have a 2 yr old, and hubby is an EMT. I agree with CrystalPaths... Not enough knowledge on long term effects, especially to unborn children. Then again, we don't get the reg. flu shot and we have a delayed vaccination schedule for our kids.

I am definitely not one for getting shots and have avoided the regular flu shot nor has my son (8yrs) had it either. But after a young, healthy 13 yr old hockey player died here with not even serious symptoms and after being checked out by a clinic at a hospital and sent home. He died the next day even after his fever had abated. I have been struggling to come to a decision. I have talked with our pediatrician and he emphatically recommends doing it. He feels the "extremely small" risk of having the shot is worth the bigger risk of possible death from the H1N1. My son's safety is of my utmost importance and right now I am leaning toward doing it. Though, we will have to wait a few more weeks until Toronto actually has more of the vaccine ready to go.

Has anyone here actually already had the shot?

I will, if it ever becomes available here. We are rural, when the vaccine comes to a Drs office or Clinic, family are getting first dibs ( shock!!!!) I have never gotten a flu vaccine before, but this H1N1 and a whole nother beastie altogether. My RN sister is getting it and so is her intire family. She also has never been a proponent of these vaccines, but feels this H1N1 is just to dangerous to mess with. Our Grandparents used to tell us stories of the Spanish Flu, they lost their first child to it.

Great Post! I've never had any shots and I Absolutely will Not be getting the H1n1 vaccine.

You can go to www.theflucase.com and read about all the deaths from the swine flu vaccine that are happening in Sweden and other countries.

You would not hear about any of that on regular news.

dr.carley.com is another great site.

A great video on the regular flu shot>

Last edited by a moderator:
No way
default_no.gif

Was at the Dr's today and she said no. Unless it becomes widely available I will not be getting it.

No Ma'am. Nobody here getting it........................including our 3 1/2 year old grandson................

I will absolutely get it when adult high risk people can get it as I fall in that group.

Too new? In that case, don't get a flu shot of any kind, because every year is a new vaccine. It is made the same way as the regular flu shot, nothing different. It is a KILLED virus, it can't make you sick. Now, the nasal stuff is a modified live virus, but is only given to a small group of people.

I got my regular flu shot at the AMHA World Show when it was made available.

Our radio station had people call in this morning to describe their experience with the H1N1 and to a person they said that they did feel kind of crappy after the regular flu shot, but nothing at all from the H1N1 shot.

So, SIGN ME UP!

No - I work at a nursing home which is part of an extended care program through our hospital. The nurses on our side refuse to get the vaccine. I will not be getting it either, sorry.

Glad to see that I'm not the only one that isn't getting this vaccine. We don't get the regular flu shot either.

As soon as it is available, I most certainly will.

1. As a Type I diabetic and asthmatic, the risk of getting swine flu is much greater than a vaccination.

2. My mother is in her mid 80s and has heart problems, etc., so even if I didn't have my own health issues, I would do it for her sake. I would never take the chance of exposing any elderly person to such a disease; if anyone else willfully exposed her -- [expletive deleted]

3. Many of those who have died of swine flu were young and healthy. If I did not get vaccinated, I wouldn't even go to the grocery store; to needlessly expose others to a deadly disease is unconscionable.

4. Back in early summer one might conceivably have considered it "media hype." Now, with the number of people actually dying from it (tested for both swine flu and death, lol), there is no doubt that H1N1 is very real.

Other people can and will do as they wish -- all the more reason I will get vaccinated.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't gotten mine yet, but am planning to. I qualify for the first round of vaccines, but haven't felt inclined to go & wait in line at any of the H1N1 vaccine clinics. I stopped in at one & there were just too many people waiting--not my scene! Now there's a shortage in vaccines & they're turning away some people (high risk people being turned away, and yet the Calgary Flames hockey team got their vaccines already????)

I got my regular flu shot early last week--I could get that at the medical clinic and didn't have to wait at all, but they don't have the H1N1 shots yet. The medical clinics won't get any vaccines until the special flu clinics have all that they need--so who knows when I'll be able to get mine (since I'm planning to wait until I can get the vaccine at the medical clinic).

Never get the regular flu shots, will not be getting the H1N1 either. If I were in a high risk group I may have to weigh the risk, but not right now.

Yes! We have an 8 week old so we fell into the high risk category. I have had both flu vaccines this year, and I'm very happy we did so. My nephew recently had the swine flu with a 103 plus temp. My niece and sister had Influenza A, also both getting high temps. I can't imagine what those kind of temperatures would do to an infant.

Latest posts

Back