Have you found showing has changed.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reble

Reaction score
Just wondering with the market down.

People that started being friends have now become distant.

Found some people are too serious about a ribbon.

If it is fun, give your reasons.

If it is not, give reasons.

We are now just choosing (Fall Fair Shows in our area) that we find are fun.

We have started doing demonstrations to promote these wonderful little guys.

We are enjoying this best.

What do you do with your minis that is enjoyable out in the public eye to help promote these guys.?

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally around here, I think some folks sucked the fun part right out and take it way to serious. I even see kids not having fun cause their competive parents are pushing them to hard. In the stables, theres bickering and disigreements about how some folks placed and how its not fair.

It amazes me how a lot of folks say how mini horse people are way nicer then big horse people, but I see the same disrespectful stuff, if not worse.

I go for fun, Im a person who dose not spend every waking hr practicing to go show, I do a little practice before a show, groom my horses and show up. And sometimes it shows. My horses dont always stand still and are excited and sometimes dont look like the other horses in the ring in how they stand. If I win a ribbon, which I do a lot, AWESOME! If I dont, which also happens a lot, WHO CARES! Im there just enjoying my horses off my property. And its my $, so I can spend it any way I please.

wes_2009.jpg

I just love to show. Of course, winning makes it more fun! I believe that everyone has or develops a different outlook on the shows. Some of us are "hams" and just like the "limelight" of the arena. Other people I know say you couldn't PAY them enough to get out in front of people and make themselves vulnerable to criticisim. My two grandkids are good examples. The 6 yr old just likes going and meeting new people and playing with the horses --- she just enjoys the shows. (with her it's the new exciting experience) The 10 yr old likes going but gets very dissapointed if he doesn't win and he gets a kick out of beating trainer's kids even if he doesn't get first place. (with him it's about the competition)

I sometimes wonder why I'm spending the money when I don't breed and don't need to promote my farm. Then I realize that I truly love meeting the people and talking "horse" and showing off my horses. I've shown different breeds all my life and there will always be someone complaining that the judge "doesn't know or can't see". I guess I've gotten used to the negative chatter over the years and I've learned to turn a deaf ear to most of it. You have to remember and keep telling yourself that you paid for ONE PERSON'S OPINION and not let it bother you. I usually go back at the end of the show, if possible, and ask a judge or two what I can do to "improve" my horse. It lets them know that you care and sometimes impresses on them that their opinion is being monitored and sometimes it might make them think a bit harder on their decisions.

Being a judge is a very difficult position. I've been there, as a judge, at school speech contests. Giving opinions is not something that most people take lightly.

I really don't know!

We showed several years ago for several years and had fun and got nice titles including championships on our first homebred foal, Skipper.

At the risk of sounding like a wimp, though, I personally cannot deal with the heat and humidity well anymore. A couple of years ago, we found out I had a rare form of lung cancer (never smoked). It was slow growing but my left lung was significantly collapsed around the tumor, and the tumor was cutting into my windpipe. Oh, so now I see why I had some issues breathing especially when it was so humid and hot. Had surgery and am cancer free but had to have most of my left lung removed and now have lung capacity of about 60%.

For the above, I'm not planning personally to show horses anymore, at least not if I've got to work them / condition them myself. I can surely see us putting a homebred foal with a trainer one day, and probably showing that horse myself in the ammy classes, though.

I'm happy for our program that our stallions all have nice National records so all our foals have champions in their close up bloodline...

When we showed, I loved meeting and seeing other horse people, especially if they were LB members! I think a lot of times people start out in showing and gradually become "more serous" (and more successful) as they gather more time in it. Nothing wrong with that. I never liked being around poor sports and used to be at shows with one person in particular and just any time we were walking out of the ring, wanted to be far from her. I just worried people would remember that "we" said something when it was really just "she" who said something (not an LB member).

Fun:

Getting to talk horses non stop without someone getting that glazed over bored look

Getting to pick peoples brains and learn new things about breeding, feeding, training.

Getting to see friends that you only see at shows.

Winning is fun lol

The rush of being in the ring and showing a horse you bred

Not fun

Heat

Sore losers

Politics

As you can see for me the fun outweighs the not fun.

What do you do with your minis that is enjoyable out in the public eye to help promote these guys.?
We have a lot of people come to the farm to learn about minis which is great fun. I also think we have promoted a lot through our live foaling cam. We have a ton of non horse people that have watched our cam for years. They feel like family to us! We have a group of our cam watchers coming Labor Day weekend to meet the foals. Way too much fun!!!

I think its important if you are going to breed to show what you have produced. We havent been able to show a lot the last two years but thankfully we have sold babies to people that are out showing. To me that is an even bigger thrill as I am so happy for their new owners and happy to have placed them in such loving show homes.

Previously we have always shown our home grown horses and thankfully done well.

Hoping to be back out there next year with two very special fillies
default_wub.png

Shows are all fun to me, I love the people, I love winning, I love when our horses do good.

I hate poor sports, I have nasty people.

But I love shows. I do show occasionally, not often but I am very lucky to have a daughter that can fit, train, groom and handle our horses to awesome titles including World Champions, Nationals Champions, Res World Champions and Res National Champions.

We have a lot of great friends that we only see at shows, I want it to be fun for all of us and we make it that way. We show against several of them and if they win, its great, if we win they congratulate us. Are we there for second place, oh heck no, but we will accept it and go on to the next one. If winning is all that matters, your in the wrong boat. If friends matter more, then there is no better place to be but a horse show.

Interesting thread.

My first year showing was a blast! All smiles, fun and laughter. But I was naive for sure. As time went on I realized there are a lot of sucky people out there - the world in general I guess.

I've never set out totally on my own and shown, conditioned, groomed, etc. my horses myself. I've always had at least one horse with a trainer so if I took a horse on my own I at least had someone to ask questions to, etc. But I think the most important lesson I've learned is the showing experience is what you make it. I've learned that some people suck and others are totally awesome to be around.

My first trainer, although still a friend, is not someone I'd ever put another horse with. Too much bickering, turmoil and drama when it comes to showing with them. Then I had Ten L for one year and they were AWESOME!!! Neither Laura or Joe get involved in the drama or ever say a bad word about someone else. That makes for a pleasant experience. Then, totally out of circumstances beyond my control, I met Ed and Val of Blue Ribbon. I purchased a horse (Raven) that was already on their show string, so I left her there for the rest of the year. I ended up sending her back and after getting to know Ed and Val and the kind of people who also hang out with them at shows, I felt like I'd found "my place." They have found a way to balance winning with having fun!
default_aktion033.gif
Ed has the most control over his emotions of anyone I know. Other trainers or people may say things about him or acuse him of something or try to derail his plans, but he NEVER says a bad word about them (at least I've not heard him do it), he keeps his mouth shut and lets his horses do the talking. But he also doesn't take any crap or allow people to cheat. He has balls and isn't afraid to use them. He just uses them quietly.
default_wink.png
He doesn't go around saying "this person did this, this person did that." He just quietly does what he thinks is right and doesn't give a rat's butt what other's think. He is is own person. And I've found the people who stall with him at the shows and/or just come by to hang out or exactly the same way. They are there to have fun, win and make new friends. They are NOT there to create drama or flap their jaws about someone else. I guess I've found as I get older, I'm less interested in what someone else is doing. I find my own life to be more interesting than theirs I guess.
default_laugh.png

So, yes, some have tried to take the fun out of it. And I've certainly made my thoughts public about how I've seen some folks behave at the shows, but it's what you make it. Go and have FUN! And if your horses wins or places well in the process, you've accomplished two awesome things. I do believe in karma. We may not always see it, but it's there. I've generally learned that people who try to ruin experiences for others (not just in showing, but in life in general) are not very happy people. I'd rather be happy, sleep well at night and enjoy myself. And win too!
default_laugh.png
But not as someone else's expense...unless they are cheating and then yes, I'll say something.

Thanks for all that has replied, agree have learned a lot from showing and have met a lot of long time friends.

Most mini people have been so willing to give advice and their secrets, others just tell you practice and you will learn.

I for one would never turn and not help anyone in need or not answer anyone's questions.

Now, that my husband has retired and on disability we find life is too short to sweat the small stuff. So do not want to give up what we have worked so hard to have and enjoy.

So have started doing demonstrations this year.

Sure hope this still helps promote our miniature horses being the economy is not helping so many horse farms. Just not ready to pack it in yet..

Sad to see so many complete horse dispersal's or downsizing because of health, work, and the economy.

Showing is serious, expensive business to us. We don't get to show as much as we would like now a days because of finances, but if you breed you must show to promote your horses. We also do local breed demos, rescue demos, and 4-H shows and horse science school. Even though we are serious about showing we try to make it fun, we try to enjoy the trip, driving, and visit as many friends as possible. We make it a vacation, and go out to dinner, have little barn get togethers and really do enjoy going into the ring. When ever I show at Spring Fling in N.C the nice guy that works the ring calls me Smiley, cuase I believe you should smile and let the judge know you are having a good time. I smile at everyone, problem is, some people take showing so serious they forget to smile back. Some people need alot of drama in their life too, one year we went to a show were someones horse didn't measure in as small as she wanted so she sat the whole time by the steward to watch the measuring of horses, I smiled at her thinking she was in training, she only glared at me. Later I was told why she was there, it was a shame for her. Also some people can be down right inconsiderate of others. About ten years ago we were showing in Harrington, Del. and the same person, three times parked their horse trailer right in the drive were you unload, and went about their merry business, blocking everyone out. It was so frustrating not being able to unload and go park after waiting for an hour, patiently, finially the third time, show, I went to the announcer and had the person paged to move their rig. In conclusion, I guess there are nice people and sad grumpy people and people that take it up anotch and ares so serious they just can't have fun. Personally it is serious and fun at the same time, otherwise, why do it!

Showing is serious, expensive business to us.
I do agree with that also.. I recall many years ago, we where at a clinic and my husband said he only shows for the fun of it.. and the guy putting it on, said "well", if you are just here for fun of it, you might as well sit on the stands and enjoy watching..

That sure made him think.
default_biggrin.png

In my opinion, most who show are there to do their best AND have fun. I don't find that the competitors are overly rude or unfriendly, however as has been mentioned here on LB recently, when in the ring being judged, many are "in the zone" and do not socialize with other exhibitors.

I find horse shows extremely fun and my step-dad and I show a lot. We start in April and show through until October, because we enjoy it.

The people are great, the classes are challenging, the ribbons are beautiful and the whole trip is always an adventure.

I have noticed a recent change in the QUALITY (in conformation, training and handling) of the horses being shown, which does make the shows much more competitive. I don't think the people are any less friendly at all.

I am very lucky to have many many great friends who I have met through showing.

I don't see any difference here. Most of the people have fun and just enjoy showing. Of course you always have that one group that won't have fun unless they win. You can choose to just ingore them and keep on going.

I enjoy showing. I love love love talking with our "horse show family" I don't think much has changed other than perhaps my attitude. At one time I would get upset if we didnt' place where I thought we should. Now - if we place ( or win! :p) it's great. If we don't, congrats to the winners!

I have found that many of those who don't seem to enjoy the event are those that either can't see the faults in their horses, don't do the time and work to make them ready, or just plain don't like anybody, so when they don't win or place, it's everybody's fault but theirs.

I have never asked a question of a fellow competitor without getting a reasonable answer. A smile usually wins a smile. A kind word - even if the word is CUTE - about their horse usually gets a smile too.

i am new to showing and this is my first showing year. i am lucky that so far i have met some lovely people but most of all looking glass stud (who my boy came from) and his previous owner who has always been there with any questions dilemmas ive had. me and my little man are off to the mhcgb champs next monday and its my first big show and am cacking myself but have found everyone so so supportive if anyone is going and sees me come and say hi ;-)

We love going to the shows! My daughter does the showing and I like to be the person holding the horses for her. If we win that is great but if we don't that is ok also. We are there for a good time and to see our horse friends. I HATE a poor sport that pouts of they don't win. Someday we hope to go to Nationals with one of our home bred foals that is our dream. For now I love my daughter showing my favorite horse Baxters Black Fashionista. Kay and I both LOVE this little filly to death I and am so proud to own her.

We love going to the shows! My daughter does the showing and I like to be the person holding the horses for her. If we win that is great but if we don't that is ok also. We are there for a good time and to see our horse friends. I HATE a poor sport that pouts of they don't win. Someday we hope to go to Nationals with one of our home bred foals that is our dream. For now I love my daughter showing my favorite horse Baxters Black Fashionista. Kay and I both LOVE this little filly to death I and am so proud to own her.
We love her too Karen! We'll get you to nationals SOON!

Karen I get more thrilled hearing about your and Lori's wins with Fashion then I could my own. I just wish I could have come up and watched! You will have such a blast when you get to go to Nationals! I cant wait to have you guys come visit.

I really have to say that ASPC/AMHR has some of the most helpful show people at shows. Everyone is always willing to help (like a few weeks back when Feature snapped his show halter at OSF)

I was so lucky to have some great people help me a long the way

I personally enjoy showing just as much as I ever did--maybe even more now that I am showing the ponies--I enjoy showing them more than I did Miniatures, and to be honest even more than I enjoyed showing Morgans.

I find people are generally friendly at the shows--you'll always run into a sore loser or two (well, no, I shouldn't say always, but definitely sometimes) and there are those who really aren't friendly but at least they will pretend and are pleasant.

I have found that many of those who don't seem to enjoy the event are those that either can't see the faults in their horses, don't do the time and work to make them ready, or just plain don't like anybody, so when they don't win or place, it's everybody's fault but theirs.
I totally agree with this. Reminds me of one time in 4-H. I was using a borrowed horse--it was a gelding I had used in 4-H all summer, he wasn't kept at my place but I was the only one that rode and showed him all that summer. The owner trailered him to the show grounds early that morning on her way to work & left him in the barn there. Mom & I went & got him ready to show--a big job, because he was absolutely CAKED in mud when we got there. It was such a cold day we couldn't bath him (outdoor washrack & only cold water) so we cleaned him up with rags & a lot of Dry Clean. When we were done he was CLEAN--in those days the judges still did the white glove test in grooming and showmanship classes, and my horse passed with flying colors (not to mention a still-white glove!) I won both grooming and showmanship. Another of the kids started complaining how unfair it was that I was using a borrowed horse, SHE should have won, not me. Well guess what--her horse was still filthy--she petted him & a cloud of dust rose from his coat. If she'd have put some effort into cleaning him up she'd have done a lot better--her parents were there to help her too, so it's not that I had an advantage that way either--everyone had at least one parent helping them that day. She had no one to blame but herself, yet all she could do is blame me for her losing. She is the perfect example of why some people just don't succeed and never enjoy showing.
I'm not particular concerned by politics. Of course politics come into play some of the time--but not every show & not every judge. Some judges....yes, for sure. Sometimes you might suspect it, but don't know for sure--if you were standing right where the judge was standing you might see the class entirely differently and realize that it wasn't politics after all. Sometimes it's just a matter of the judge liking something different than what you own/prefer, and not actually politics.

Things change in the show ring; as I said on another thread I'm seeing the start of what may be a new trend--a professional trainer here & there seems to be training their AMHR WCP horses to go in the same frame as the ridden western pleasure horses in the big horse breeds, and I sure don't care for that. I think it will be a shame if that becomes the trend and "everyone" feels they have to make their WCP horses go that way. If I were showing WCP I would quit the division rather than change to match it, because I absolutely loathe that way of going! I do have a couple mares that I thought might be fun to enter in WCP, but if that's how they will need to go, nope, I will not bother. There are other divisions that will suit me better, even if it isn't with those particular horses.

But overall, yes, showing is still fun

I try to go to shows that I figure ARE going to be fun. Yes, showing is serious business and hard work that needs to be done to promote your horses, but I want some fun at the same time. But fun can be what you make it.

We went to a fundraiser Carriage Driving Show this past weekend where we knew we would not be able to compete with the competition we would find there. Not why we usually show, but this time our goals were simple: Do the best we could so we could get some exposure and experience, and promote minis as much as possible. And of course, support a good cause. There was a huge crowd at the Therapeutic Riding place where it was held so after our classes were done we led Princess around and let kids pet her. The two minis were both VERY popular. We also distributed flyers on minis to anyone the least bit interested, and staff from the riding center were QUITE interested. We had a ball on the cones course, got lots of photos and were home nice and early after a fun show.

If or when I stop having fun at shows I will find something else to do.

Latest posts

Back