Have to ask why cant I sell?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minis2love

Reaction score
Ok this is not an add to sell one horse. I have had many adds to sell minis and can never get anyone interested. Is it just me? Can they see my face in my adds
default_new_shocked.gif
For example a few years ago I had a beautiful appy mare who ALWAYS produced appy foals. I could not sell her. I ended up trading her and her blanket filly (and getting the bad end of the bargan). I know part of it is that I am a poor photographer, my pics are not that great. The second (and most likely) is my heart is not really into selling my babies. I don't want them to sell, so I am not pushing them hard. Right now I have a beautiful appy colt. He is 29" Granted his bloodlines are not the "big names" but he is sweet, has a nice butt blanket and I cant even get a responce on ANY adds that I put him up on
default_wacko.png
I have had him up on this sale board (and all my other minis) the only thing I have not done is pay to have him on the fetured adds. Dose that really help? The little guy I am trying to sell now is a yearling and oh so cute sweet as a button and I will not be sad if he stays with me but it is frustrating!

So tell me how do you sell your horses? Can people tell when you really don't want to part with that special mini? What is too high or too low a price? When is the best time to sell.

Now here are two of my photos. What can I do to improve them? The first two are of my boy and the other one is of his sister (not for sale
default_smile.png
)

dance.jpg

danceandmom.jpg

mini015.jpg

Those are not bad pictures.

What I have done before I offer a horse for sale is have all my pictures ready. I take conformation shots from both sides, front, and rear (where you can see from toe to top). I take pictures of the bite.

I put the important information in the sales ad and do a webpage with links to all the pictures (those conformation and bite ones, as well as show and casual shots).

In the past, I've priced them at what I'd expect to pay for the same if I were shopping (and I'm a good shopper / have gotten my money's worth each time).

It's been awhile since I've offerred anything for sale but when I've tried to sell horses, they've sold fast. I think part of that is from the "name" recognition from LB and advertising, and part is because of the pictures (and yours are fine as a start) and just really doing an ad that hits the basics and is easy to read (not a huge 5 paragraph essay).

I sold 4 foals in 07.
default_biggrin.png
I feel the key is to adv. as many places as you can afford. Lil Beg., equine.com, dreamhorse.com, equinenow.com. Plus offer videos of the horse to serious buyers. Maybe put a little halter training into the colt, a lot of people don't have the time to train and selling a colt ready to walk into the ring for a halter class is great.

I totally agree about advertizing on other horse sites.. Manytimes if you are not a well known farm, you may

be overlooked by some people on the lilbeginnings site -and you might even have something nicer than a well known farm.

So it really helps to put your ad on more than one site, and get your name out there..

I have used dreamhorse.com , and equine.com, with good results too, and there are many more. These ads wont expire as quickly,- and allow the buyer to run a search for exactly what he/she is looking for. (a real plus when you are selling something unique)

You have a real cute appy colt there , and I like the photo's too.

If he is not registered or registered in a registry that is not favored, that can slow down intrest a bit.

And the market is a bit down right now and competitive prices are in the mix, so it may require more patience.
default_yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I know the feeling. I have very good luck selling my horses, but not on the LB sales board.

One reason, I'm sure, is that I'm from Maine and buyers think they have to pay an arm and a leg for transport. I've even offered to do transport for the cost of gas and a cup of coffee.

Another reason is that my prices are not way low like they are in other places in the country. I can't compare to their prices. In the west gelding costs less than $100. It starts at $350 here. A cryptorchid gelding surgery here costs $1500-$2000 where it costs $500-$600 in Oklahoma. The costs of keeping my horses is very expensive. My prices probably reflect that.

Also, my horses are middle of the road in quality. They're not top of the line and although conformationally correct, they don't stand out. So I don't get noticed.

My ads on the LB sales board usually get more views than others. But no one-- and I mean NO ONE -- ever contacts me.

My market is the northeast and I advertise other places. I've got a local swap-it-sell-it magazine I advertise in. I have to pay about $15 a week to do it, but I get most of my responses from there.

My pictures are very good and yours are way above some of the ones I see out there. It amazes me-- and I admit, annoys me-- that people put up such poor pictures! I could go on and on about pictures but I will spare everybody. :)

Also, I usually reduce the prices of my horses. Mine are not set in stone. Sometimes I drop them to the perfect home. Sometimes I drop them because I need the money. But I'm still picky about homes. Have turned down several for one reason or another. But when I say "Negotiable", I mean it.

Have patience. It might take a while. I've had great luck in the winter when others can't sell. You'd think that good weather would make a difference-- especially here in the cold northeast. But December and January are good for me.

If you really want to sell, lower your prices, advertise other places where your market is strongest, be negotiable, have patience. You've already got decent pictures.

If I liked appys, I'd be looking at your ads. If I needed a baby, I'd also be looking and maybe contacting you.

I like your photos (and I love appy!). I looked for a website and didn't find one for you. I think having one is a must today for selling. Each horse has thier own page with pedigree and pictures that are complimentary. My horses sell quickly now after many years of selective breeding but in the beginning it was hard to sell them. My colored appies go faster than I have them for sale! Pricing and where you are as well as shipping all come into the factore. As Yankee minis said costs vary. I also am in the Northeast like Yankee minis. As others said advertise where ever you can
default_smile.png

TAmmie

Where do you live? I really think money is tight and people are not easily spending. Try offering extra purks, like drop off (if local). Or maybe free board for a few months. Good luck.

Thank you all for your advice. We live in oregon (roseburg). Money is tight around here. I really need to update our website as it holds nothing except the sire. We are planning on showing the boy in april but again we have never gotten a hit on a horse at a show either
default_sad.png
lol I asked mom how much she wanted for Delilah (the little girl in the last photo) and she said $7500 and I laughed. I doubt that anyone would be willing to pay that much for a little pintoloosa. I think that is why she has her priced so high.

Now for the colt she wants 2500, is that too much? They both are amhr/amha registered. I really appreciate the help. I am in love with the little boy (his name is Dance). He is his fathers son. His dad was in the top 8 for AMHR driving in the US :D The only problem is I can't drive him as he is only 29" now and I am over 310lbs so I am way to heavy for him to pull. He is halther broke and is learning to stand still for the show ring, but has never been shown (our first show will be in april this year).

Sorry I am rambling. I got some updated photos but they are not that great (he is in his winter woolies) and I am not about to shave him before I have to for the show. I am sure you all understand that. Should I just put up the photos on our website with him in his woolies and his babie pics? Thanks so much for your help.

Here is a photo of each. Are they even worth posting?

Dance

P1020732.jpg

Delilah

P1020741.jpg

I would not use those last two photos. It is discouraging as a shopper to see those kinds because you can't see enough about the horse and they are somewhat of a bummer w/the wet/fuzzy look. not anything against how they look, as it happens, I know I'm in Astoria and my horses look hideous right now.

You may just have to wait until it's warm enough to clip and groom before you can get those money shots.

Have you tried the email list [email protected] ?

It is a free sale and wanted list for miniature horses in the NW.

Liz

Latest posts

Back