Has anyone used...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whiskeyranch

Reaction score
My Ex is about $6000.00+ behind in his child support obligation, so I have contracted Support Kids to try and collect the monies for us.

I would love to just hire a lawyer, but my ex sued me for custody 4 yrs. ago, 10 days before my wedding, and it cost us somewhere in the neighborhood of $8000.00 just for all that nonsense.

He has made absolutely no attempt to contact the kids in 2 yrs. and I might add that all began 6 months after we finally finished with the lawsuit he started. :deadhorse2:

Thank the Lord they have an amazing step-dad who loves them to pieces.

I'm just wondering if anyone has used this type of service and did you have any substantial rewards from them?? We will have to obtain an attorney at some point, but they are just so darn expensive, and I hate to take more money away from our family since they already aren't getting their support.

ANY ADVICE?????
default_frusty.gif
: I'm really sick and tired of being frustrated and helpless about this.

There should be something that is run by the state to help you get your money. My x was 13,000.00 in the arrears ( I was working 2 jobs to feed us) and I called the local county gov. and they referred me to a dept. that when we went to court they made my x pay a percentage over what he owed me so I never lost any money. This was over 18 years ago, my boys are now 22 and 23 he just finished paying me last month. In Florida it was Child support enforcement run by the dept. of revenue.

That would be a nice option, but in Texas they put you on a list, after they ask all of your financial info. so unfortunately that isn't an option. They aren't real excited about it unless you qualify for afdc or welfare, so they can make you pay that back at the end.

Isn't is sad that people can go so many years without paying. Glad you finally got yours!

Our state does pretty good at collecting if they get 2 months behind...one problem...if they pay anything at all they don't follow through. My ex is now over 8000 dollars behind. I have looked at those collection services, but don't they take a percentage? Good luck!

If you enlist the services of a private collection agency they will take a high percentage of what they collect. Often far more than their services are worth. Have you exhausted all other means of collection at your disposal ? There are numerous other things that might be worth trying before "giving money away" for a collection service. I cannot provide legal council but have friends that certainly might be willing to provide advice.

Do you not have state-run support enforcement collection programs? We have these here in Canada - each Province has its own government agency that has a huge range of powers to collect spousal and child support from people who have been delinquent in their payments. They can deduct support from the payor's paycheque, put liens on houses and other personal property, prevent people from getting a passport, and even cancel drivers' licenses. All of this is at no charge to the person (or parent) who is entitled to the support, and they do a very good job of collecting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, let's just say that our government child support service is no help, the service that I contracted with takes 25% of each payment. So my ex-they say has sent in $510 and I will end up with $382.50.

I guess some is better than none, but if anyone can give me any advice on what to do next with the rest, like the abandonment issues, the fact that they are almost 13 and 14, and say IF he shows up here they won't go with him. (their words not mine)

The kids say that they are afraid I will get put in jail if they don't go, etc. I told them not to worry, if the police were stupid enough to take me in, it wouldn't be for but a few hours and I've dealt with worse.

This all just stinks, they are great kids and don't deserve to even have to think about why their dad doesn't communicate with them. It's better than having him come over on the wrong days, because he is high, but I sure would love to smack him!

Oh my does your situation sound like mine was. Mine stopped seeing the boys when they were about 4 and 5, they asked to see him when they were younger he would say he was coming they would sit by the door and wait, he would never show. I think it was harder for me to watch their little hearts breaking. As they got older (your kids ages) they said the same thing, we never had to face that because he hasn't seen them since the were 7-8 at Christmas time. His mom wanted to see them, they came a got them, he was there. I think because of their age they would not be forced to go and you sure could not be put in jail if they choose not to go, from what I understand, it would be only if you hid them from him. Mine are 22-23 now and have NO DESIRE to even know who he is. He or his family has not contacted them in over 10 years. (His mom would drop off a Christmas present at the house for a few years) I remarried 17 years ago, when the boys were 4-5. Good Luck to you and your family, Kathy

I forgot to add if you know where your X is working, you might be able to have his wages garnished, it has to be done through the court, mine always worked under the table so that didnt help me.

Last edited by a moderator:
:new_shocked: This is so hard on kids. My cousin a few years age went though all that, her x would not pay she'd go to the state then he'd pay enough to stay out of jail then not pay again. She remarried and they decided it just not worth the time and effort to keep going to court every few months and just got along without.

The ex is "self employed" Last year was the first year since 1996, that I got taxes back due to him not paying. That's a whole other lawsuit someday!

His parents don't contact the kids either, and my new hubby and I have decided it just isn't worth the court costs anymore.

Thank goodness for him. He has no children and loves them and gives them everything they need and more. The good lord did give them a father, it just isn't the one that helped create them.

I guess the old saying goes......THAT WHICH DOESN'T KILL US, MAKES US STRONGER?!

Thanks for all your input, I feel tons better now discussing this with people who understand.

When my kids felt bad about this I always told them that it was "his loss" for not knowing his kids.

Latest posts

Back