Has anyone shown in open shows?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tracerace

Reaction score
My 8 year old daughter is getting the showing bug; it turns out she lacks confidence in the saddle, so riding her pony in a show just won't happen in the near future.

But, we have a new mini filly that was a year in May and I'm wondering if it would be fun to enter her in some halter classes next year, in local open shows - that way we can see how she likes it and if it's something she really wants to persue (we won't know until she tries, right?).

This filly came out of her baby-coat WAY fancier than we thought (much to the breeder/seller's dismay, lol) so she would be fun to do something special with her! But we've never shown mini's at anything and I don't know how they would be recieved in open shows.

Has anyone done it? What about in 4H shows? She could possibly do 4H although it is extremely unlikely she would stand a chance of ever pinning against all thos QH's. I'm not sure that would be nearly as fun anyway as our 4H program isn't the best one around.

And what else besides halter could we do and start to work toward this year? And......if we do decide to do it will y'all hold our hands and help us?
default_wub.png
: This will be new territory.

Thanks so much in advance for any input!

Tracy

Last edited by a moderator:
This spring my wife and I took 2 yearling fillies to an open show. The show was an all breed open so there was a bit of every thing. Our halter class had a total of 12 horses. With our minis we took 2nd and 4th. And we were very well received by all. Our class was won by a clydesdale.

I've done it and it's a lot of fun!!! And don't be so sure about not pinning against QH's. When I used to show "Derby", he usually would win against QH's!!! It's also a great way to let other horse people see and learn more about minis -- your daughter will get asked lots of questions and be the center of some attention, which she may really like, as she will be the "mini expert" at the show
default_yes.gif
:

Well the others have pretty much said it all! It's great promotion for your little guys, and every time we took one of ours they were the star of the show. There is an added thrill in taking your little guy out against the breeds we aim to resemble and beating them. We've shown halter, color, and showmanship open, and Streaker even won the obstacle driving exhibition at the Illinois Horse Fair (it was set up for the big boys!).

Well, this is inspiring! I had no idea it could be done 9and done well). And my daughter LOVES answering questions and being an expert so those 2 points alone will be a blast for her.

This little filly is really turning out to be a looker - we also have Honey Bear (in my avatar) as well and she is driving a little so we can work harder this year on both of their driving skills....so perhaps we could show both minis so they could travel together
default_smile.png

This is really , really encouraging. Thank you!

Any more stories to share?

We show mostly open shows as there are not many mini shows in our area. I love to take my mini stud in the Open Halter class and beat the big horses... They hate it.
default_smile.png
Anyway. The minis have as good of a chance at the open shows as the big horses. We even show them in the showmanship classes and driving.

Alisha

Well..... as a kid as young as 3 I started showing (a big pony, chocolate, 1/2 shetland 1/2 hackney pony) when I was a kid....but I guess the first one was a white appy horse named Tasha)..... but I showed all threw my little kid years til' I was to old for 4-H and then in my 20's before I started showing the breed shows.... but LOVED to go to the open shows...... It's more big horses here but was SOOO cute to see the little ponies & kids showing ....... The judges always seemed to have a soft spot for the little horses!

I think I may just have to take my 2 boys and some of these minis to a open show some time..... They do have a big horse (a old arabian) that they could use......but with all the other things that have been going on this summer........ just hasn't seemed like there has been any time for it....... but I think it's about time for it!!
default_yes.gif
:

I would say do it. I have shown in both 4-H, Open and at the Breed shows. I just love it....The awards are super nice too if you ever join a nice club. Its cheap to show open too...I would say do it though....Its alot of fun though...

My mare, Millie (the horse in my avatar), got Supreme Halter Horse at an Open Horse Show a couple years ago.. Its not a nice I think as some of the things you get for winning that award in the Breed Shows but oh well. We beat out 24 horses that year... So yeah you can get wonderful titles there too.

Last year and again this year we entered several of our minis in a local Open Horse Show.We have had so much fun meeting people and the horses got alot of attention from kids and adults alike. The show had "big" horse halter classes and a mini halter class. They also had mini "obstacle driving", and mini"obstacle by lead" which included some small jumps. I highly recommend her taking her minis to some open or 4-H shows. It really builds confidence for down the road if she decides to go to the next level. You will all enjoy it, I promise :aktion033:

Oh, yeah, we took 2 blues and 2 reds
default_yes.gif
:

I've shown Sunny twice in open shows- the first show he was 2nd out of five, and the next show he was THIRD out of 24!!

The best part was when we were standing at the in-gate all you could hear was "awww, how cute! (snicker)" Cute whooped their butts.... heh heh heh. You should have seen some of the looks I got after the class. It was GREAT!

Lucy

Oh I love showing at the open shows. They are just plain fun! My first Mini stallion I had was shown on an open circuit here one year, competing in 'mini only' classes and then in open ones against all breeds and sizes and he brought home 5 hi point year end awards for halter and driving!! It was relaxing, fun and a great learning experience for us both.

Hubby enjoys showing in open shows. We have what is called a Five Horese Series here that is fun to compete in for they have a banquet at the end for the "High Point" winners and give out some real nice prizes. We should have both a filly and a stallion who will have high points for their classes this year. It is a nice way to have the public see our minis and good experience for them too. This is hubby with his stallion going to the ring a couple weeks ago. Always grand or reserve grand in halter and put him in a color class and he isn't beaten
default_yes.gif
: Mary

forsending3.jpg

Well I'm just thrilled to hear these positive stories (and buckskin gal that picture is wonderful!).

I'm really excited and now looking forward to this! We too don't have any mini shows in this area and I'm not one to travel very far, but there are plenty of open shows to chose from. In fact I'm working at one as a volunteer in September I think I'll hit them all this year and get an idea of what we will do for next summer.

Thanks again!

I've shown Sunny twice in open shows- the first show he was 2nd out of five, and the next show he was THIRD out of 24!!

The best part was when we were standing at the in-gate all you could hear was "awww, how cute! (snicker)" Cute whooped their butts.... heh heh heh. You should have seen some of the looks I got after the class. It was GREAT!

Lucy
That's so funny!!! I remember the same thing when I'd show Derby open. Everyone was "awww, how cute" but almost in a belittling manner (like maybe one day, she'll get a "real" horse)... then they got to see how cute Derby looks w/ a little bit of blue :bgrin

I have shown in a few open shows against the big guys with MUCH success.....and FUN!
default_yes.gif
:

My first "open" show was at a local fair. I took Nickelodeon as a 3 month old. I had already shown him at several AMHA & AMHR shows...so he was an old hand at this "showing thing". He would set up so nicely & arch that little neck out so pretty. This was a "Halter Pony" class...so anything under 14.5 hands qualified. Well, we were at the end of the line, and we waited patiently as big Qtr horses & Arabians walked out ahead of us. (They all looked like they were just barely under 14.5 hands...none, would I consider actual "ponies") Then it was our turn....as we started walking into the ring, there was a mixture of laughter, cheers & applause. People were so surprised to see this little 23" horse strutting into the ring like he was "the man"! :bgrin The judge looked down at him, then up at me & said..."Do you know what kind of pressure you are putting on me!?" I looked back & smiled...then replied, "he's under 14.2 hands...he qualifies for this class."

The judge ended up pinning him SECOND against 10 other horses! Then the judge came up to me afterwards & said he probably would have pinned him higher...but that he couldn't see his hooves to see if they were straight or not.
default_wacko.png
: (the dirt was so deep & soft that his hooves were hidden in it.) :eek:

Love showing at the open shows. The one we go to has a class specifically for the minis (38" and under). These are a little harder, I think, than the AMHR shows (don't show AMHA). This is the show I intend to take my little ones to when they are broke to drive to get them use to show driving before spending the big bucks on a registry show.

Dona- So neat to hear the Nikki story. He has such a special place in my heart. I still have two geldings by him.
default_smile.png

I also, have shown local shows mostly all of my life, but the only show that I had actually seen miniatures shown with the big guys in halter was the same show Jill went to. The miniatures placings were well deserved and it was fun to watch the "all how cute commenters" drop their jaws when horses like Jill's Derby took the halter class. Gotta love it.

I may be the one "downer" to this. I would suggest letting your Open show coordinators know you are coming. I contacted two in our area to bring my miniatures to and one said, "Bring it on! Any class they qualify for, they are welcome to compete in." The other, not so much. They were good and established miniature halter classes (the only classes they would let the miniatures compete in), but the big horse people were stand-offish and rolled their eyes at US when their horses couldn't handle the horse eating monsters that miniatures truly are. I enjoyed myself, but I did feel a little like a leper. My minis, of course, just enjoyed strutting their stuff since they have draft sized hearts and egos!

Yes.....some open show people don't "appreciate" the Minis competing against them.
default_rolleyes.gif
: Usually, they are the ones who travel around on a "circuit" gathering points. When Minis show up at a show, they end up "taking points away from the big guys"....at least that is what one of them told me once.
default_unsure.png
:

Doesn't matter......our little ones have every right to be there, as the big ones....unless the show entry stipulates there are separate classes for "ponies". Then you would need to show in the "Pony" class...which I have done as well.

I've only had one bad experience showing against the big guys. I used to show my Minis at a local fair every year, where they combined the Draft & Mini shows. They alternated between Mini Classes & Draft Classes.....was really neat & gave people a good perspective of the extreme differences in sizes!
default_yes.gif
: Well, at this particular show, there was a Youth Showmanship class. I talked my friend's daughter into showing Pocohontas in that class. This little 9 year old girl had never been around horses...let alone show any. But we gave her a crash course in what she needed to do...found her a hat to wear (she already was dressed like a little cowgirl)
default_wub.png
: and sent her in. ALL of the other horses were DRAFT! She was surrounded by "Monsters", and she & Pocohontas were dwarfed, sandwiched in between them. Both Jamie & Pocohontas did GREAT....actually perfect, and I was so proud of both of them. BUT....after they all showed, a judge came up to Jamie & told her she would have to leave the class as it wasn't fair to the other kids with Draft Horses. WHAT!? This was a YOUTH SHOWMANSHIP class...the kids were being judged..not the horses. :eek: It was the only Youth Showmanship offered, and it didn't specify Draft or Mini on the entry form. Jamie was SO disappointed. :no: I told her it was the judge's call, and we couldn't do anything about it. I also told her not to worry....they were both winners in my book. :aktion033:

fcb5e6fa.jpg

Back