Has anyone made a awning for their horse trailer?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlenehorse

Reaction score
I am wanting to make a awning for my horse trailer with a tarp and pvc pipes and was wondering if anyone has done this. If so can you post pictures and size of the tarp and pvc pipes. Also what is the best color for the tarp?

Thanks Carlene

Last edited by a moderator:
I looked at BUYING one for my 20' trailer... price came in at $1300
default_smile.png
Ouch!

YEP that is why I am trying to get ideas so I can make one. LOL

It would be $600-800 for mine.

Carlene

When I used to show quarter horses I had a large Sooner trailer but the accessories for it from the horse trailer companies were too pricey.

Look at your RV Motor Home, Marine Supply, and Mobile Home dealers. That's where I got mine and where you will find a deal. :saludando:

Best Wishes and Good Luck to You! :bgrin

HI Marty that is where I got that price from. It is a RV center and it would be $600-800.

Carlene

What about one of those portable canopies? It seems like those would work and wouldn't be any more difficult to set up than that awning you posted.

Try going to a local RV store that has a service department. People wreck their awnings all the time for some reason or another. Insurance pays for them and the RV lot ends up with damaged awnings that the fabric and rollers are all workable, maybe a little dented up. Usually the arms are what bends. If you can figure out a way to mount it on your trailer and to unroll it without the fancy arms that automatically retract and extend you may be able to pick one up pretty cheap.

Thanks for the help. I did check with the RV place about a used awning and was told they don't keep the old ones. There is only one RV place around here. I am going to try my hand at making one.

Carlene

Have you tried walmart - they were selling the 8x10 awnings ( advertised for houses) that looked pretty multi purpose for about mid $300.00 canadian- just a thought :bgrin - What ever you end up with- I would like to see pictures :bgrin

As suggested I think one of those folding canopy's might work. We used one before we got our new trailer which had an awning. They go up in minutes plus you can move it around depending upon where the sun is. Ours was 12 x 12 & less than a hundred dollars at Dicks.

Anyone have any ideas?

Carlene
EBAY?Look up RV on there..I've see them there also the ones you buy for pop up trailers are much cheaper as they are not automatic or anything. Yes Ebay or look up camper/RV forums , they have classified..how about a junk yard? RV's get wrecked but not always the canaopy
default_yes.gif
:

Maxine

Our son-in-law went to an RV place and got a "damaged" awning for his trailer. The only damage was some scrapes on it, but the price was significantly reduced. Sometimes "damaged" or "seconds" can work out okay.

We live in Southwestern Ontario in Canada.

We have a nice aluminum "Jamco" trailer that easily takes 5 minis.

A trailer place nearby fashioned a track that has an opening to thread a heavy duty tarp thru.

They sewed a tiny rope along the edge of the tarp and that edge is threaded thru the track the whole length of the trailer.

The track is on both sides of the trailer so we can park any way or have the awnings set up on both sides if we wish to separate horses.

Once threaded thru the track the bottom end of the awning is held up with extendable aluminum poles thru grommet holes. The poles stay in place with tent pegs and rope from the top.

I don't know how to do pictures but could e-mail them if you p.m. me.

To do the whole job worked out to 150.00 canadian for each side.

The tarp is heavy duty and white on the underside and blue on the top.

We had a lot of people admire it at the last event we attended and it worked beautifully on such a hot day.

Maxine I never thought about a junk yard what a excellent idea.

Thanks

If I do end up making one I will post pictures of it.

Carlene

I have a couple "EZUp" popup tent/canopy things that I bring to horse shows (well they are my parents' but we bring them to most events, they are very versatile).

The nice thing about the EZups is that you can move them around. Remember at horse shows your awning might not be on the shady side of your trailer, the sun does move around. We drag the EZup a little bit as the sun moves.

Also, consider how stable the awning is, and how much room it takes up. You don't want to crowd out your neighbors, or have your awning come down on top of your horses.

Andrea

I found this one at cabelos

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...requestid=28320

Georgine has the best idea!! and cheap too.

Instead of expandable polls how about (if you are using the mini panels with the tall gate panels use 2 gate panels on the pole end, drill some holes and attach eye bolts and tie the awning to that. No poles to get in the way).

Maxine I never thought about a junk yard what a excellent idea.

Thanks

If I do end up making one I will post pictures of it.

Carlene
Great Carlene! I sure hope you find one..I could check yards around here for you too, but not sure of shipping costs. Let me know if you'd like me to.

Maxine

I took both my Mini's to a playday. I happened to have my EZ up in the tack room of the horse trailer. We just set it up right next to the horse trailer and tied the mini's to the trailer. So they were in shade for most of the day and it worked out very nicely. We had our chairs and coolers under it too and we had plenty of room.

Marla

Back