Has anyone heard of using snuff for worms?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kimbell

Reaction score
I had a guy tell me that he has used snuff in his horses feed for worming them. He said it worked well and was alot easier and cheaper. Anyone have any thoughts on this??? Thanks,Kim
default_unsure.png

Yes but I would be concerned about them developing cancer.
They are not given enough to cause any problems such as cancer. My neighbor wormed my mare all the time with either snuff or a cigerett. She was a very healthy horse.

Well this idea has been around for ever. Like using motor oil or Kerosene. I don't buy it at all. If someone shows me a egg count done before and after that prove it works and then can convince me its doing no harm (the snuff maybe would not hurt a horse but certainly kerosene can't be good) then I might consider it, meanwhile I'll stick to the scientifically proven stuff thanks. JMO

Snuff, tobacco.....old timers used to use them to deworm horses, before specific effective dewormers came along. They "may" kill the worms, I don't know, but may do damage along the way. Would be a pretty inexact way to medicate, at the very least.

Jan

It goes along the same lines of throwing testicles on the roof to prevent swelling and inflammation......hogwash.

Tobacco was tried a long time ago to "deworm" horses. No research, no proof, no case studies.
default_no.gif

There's a good reason why there are so many good commercially produced dewormer products on the market, that are safe and effective for your horse.

Liz R.

The old cowboys used to feed tobacco to their horses as a wormer...........Yes it sort of worked, but it obviously wasn't a great idea either or we wouldn't have all the Wormers we have.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone,

I just had never heard of snuff or any of the other things you all mentioned.

I was just curious to know if anyone else had heard of it. I use the regular wormer

for mine too.
default_smile.png

call me crazy here, and i definetly dont smoke(or dip) but isnt tabbacco expensive?? i think wormer would be cheaper, and proven.
default_new_shocked.gif

It goes along the same lines of throwing testicles on the roof to prevent swelling and inflammation......hogwash.
default_new_rofl.gif
Carin!!!!!! You mean all those years of testicle throwing REALLY didn't work!
default_laugh.png

I honestly can't imagine people still buying into this kind of stuff. Ridiculous!

You probably should have waited for them to be cut off in order for it to work.............

Well, I can tell you ONE trick that worked.......Back when we had an obnoxious young "cowboy" following our 13 yr old foster daughter home all the time, Larry threw a baggie with horse testicles over our front gate and just said -- "Watch Yourself, Fella!"
default_wink.png

Using tobacco to deworm (the kind in a can, for 'roll your own' cigarettes--which WASN'T expensive, back then!)DID used to be practiced when I was a youngster; I can remember doing it a time or two, myself, when as a young teen, I was running barrels on a grade QH gelding belonging to an old guy who thought of himself as something of a cowboy (he wasn't, but had helped move cattle a few times--and I 'think', tried to do a little arena roping, etc.I had my own horse, but she wasn't yet trained for timed events around then.) Actually, a good many 'ordinary, everyday' horse owners apparently believed in it back then!

Couldn't tell whether it worked or not; I never saw worms in my horses' manure back then, before OR after deworming. About then, various 'feed through' dewormers began to come on the market; you'd better BELIEVE that today's easily-administered deworming pastes are a HUGE advancement over what USED to be our choices--including tubing!

Tobacco may not have helped, but probably, didn't hurt. I've never heard of it, in the form of SNUFF, being tried,however.

Margo

Like you Margo, I do remember "horsemen" that did believe in this.......YEARS AGO. But certainly not with what is available today.

Back when we had an obnoxious young "cowboy" following our 13 yr old foster daughter home all the time, Larry threw a baggie with horse testicles over our front gate and just said -- "Watch Yourself, Fella!"
LOL MiniV

I do remember one time we did have a really obnoxious stallion at the Farm. We gelded another horse and actually hung the testicles on the obnoxious one's door for a joke. Didn't help....
default_laugh.png

Margo, do you remember the powders? I can recall trying to hide that stuff in our horses oats and when they were done eating the powder was still there lol. We finally resorted to wetting it down by adding honey to the oats. seemed to work but what a mess and you never knew how much the horse actually ate and how much just got hung up in the honey and stuck to the outside of the horses face. We definitely have it way easier now with pastes and liquids and dial a dose dispensers.
default_smile.png

I mainly remember either having to have the horses tubed, or that dewormer that was in the form of tiny, bright turquoise 'pellets', that looked like they were made of plastic. Can't think of the name right off hand;seems like it started with a 'D'?? But boy, was it a chore to get THAT stuff 'down' horses...talk about trying everything on EARTH to camoflauge the taste! And many of them STILL wouldn't eat it! Seems like it was supposed to release some sort of 'gas' in the digestive system? I know the tiny 'pellets' showed up, apparently intact, in the manure!

Margo

Latest posts

Back