Has Anyone had a mare sterilized?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right... I'm saying that you are correct in thinking it was Norplant, and it actually does not work. I sure wish it did! It would be very nice to have a single injection that was reversable. That injection (and marbles) have been shown to stop mares from showing heat in the same percentage of mares as those that stop spontaneously.
Well since you were not present and never had experience with this mare, you can assume based on studies or what not that it didn't work. I saw it work. I also know birth control in humans does not work for many so hormone treatments are always a gamble regardless of the species.

The poster asked for ideas which I thought meant she might wish to hear ALL ideas :eek: :eek:

I have a trailriding acquaintance who had an Arabian-cross mare spayed at CO. State U. several years ago. It cost around $500, was an 'arthroscopic' type, as I recall--she was able to haul the mare home on the second day after the surgery, I think(a LONG day's drive from Albuquerque), and there were no complications. She had it done because the mare was so 'witchy'; she'd kick viciously and w/o warning if she 'thought' another horse was getting too close to her. Her owner later told me it hadn't made much if any difference in that behavior, and she ended up using this mare, an excellent trail horse in all other ways, to ride by herself(she is the most committed trail rider I know; rides ALL the time!)-and bought another horse for group rides!

Margo

Just a question but what if it is the stallion as well? I just thougth it might be a thought hate to put your mare through all that when it very well could be the stallion as well. I too questioned a while back having my mare "fixed" and the responses here and with the vet were they prefered not to do so unless a medical emergency. Either way I hope you find out what works best for your mini family.

The farm I once worked on had a dwarf mare sterilized. I don't recall much about how the procedure was done. Ginny St.P(Virginia)was the owner you might ask her about it. The mare did very well.She was sore for a short time but she bounced back in no time.So our experience with it was positive.

Christine

The reason I know it is not the stallion is that he has 13 foals and not one dwarf. She had a foal in 2005 and he was perfect at 15" tall when he was born and the only thing wrong was one leg turned out to the side at the knee. The vet said it could be the was he was laying in the womb or it could be genetic. Well after this foal the vet and I have determined that it is her with the genetic problem.

I will not risk her life and a foals life. She will be very happy to be my new cart horse and my son's show horse. Thanks for asking I should have stated that I knew it was her and not my stallion.

Izzyantheminis

Do you have Virginia's contact information (e-mail,phone ect) I would love to contact her regarding this procedure.

Thanks Carlene

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a thought on the chemical preventions and IUD type preventions. It has been stated they are 90-95% effective. What about that one in ten or one in twenty chance they will not work? The only absolutely sure way to make sure she does not get pregnant again is removal or the ovaries and/or uterus. Just a thought.

I have a trailriding acquaintance who had an Arabian-cross mare spayed at CO. State U. several years ago. It cost around $500, was an 'arthroscopic' type, as I recall--she was able to haul the mare home on the second day after the surgery, I think(a LONG day's drive from Albuquerque), and there were no complications. She had it done because the mare was so 'witchy'; she'd kick viciously and w/o warning if she 'thought' another horse was getting too close to her. Her owner later told me it hadn't made much if any difference in that behavior, and she ended up using this mare, an excellent trail horse in all other ways, to ride by herself(she is the most committed trail rider I know; rides ALL the time!)-and bought another horse for group rides!

Margo
I inquired about spaying an AQHA mare I had, she tended to be "gritchy" (grouchy+b**chy) all the time; nothing serious but a nuisance around other horses (she was fine to go out and work on her own or with my senior gelding, but could be awful around other horses). The vet told me that her post-spay personality would be like her winter anestrous personality; well since this mare was "gritchy" year round, there was no point in forking over the money to spay her (she has lovely conformation and is a wonderful mother, I have a mare and gelding from her that are both lovely, so I was only looking into spaying for personality changes). [she now belongs to a pre-teen that has had no issues with her, her new family loves her.]

Latest posts

Back