Has anyone ever had accupuncture on their dog???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoey829

Reaction score
I have a 7 yr old BC. She was taking seizures a few times a month. My vet put her on Phenobarbitrol(sp). They have been greatly reduced. She just took another seizure on Sunday
default_gaah.gif
. It is soooo sad. Anyway, my friend reccomened an accupuncturist to help my dog. She said she has it done to her dogs and has seen great results. A few friend are going up this wkend. Several have already been and really was pleased. I Just wanted some thoughts. Not sure if I should have my dog get it done. Any thoughts would be great!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I had acupuncture done on a dobie with nerve damage. It really helped her and she got bladder control for 6 months after treatment. I never tried it for seizures and considering the cost I probably couldn't afford it now. I recently had one of my dogs put on phenobarb for "episodes" that were worsening. My dog did not respond well to the phenobarb so we quit. The episodes were getting much worse and my vet suggested a different medication called Gabapentin. My dog takes 100mg daily which is much less than suggested by the drug manuf. My vet wanted to start very low. One100 Mg cap daily and my dog is doing terrific. No more episodes. Google gabapentin and ask your vet if you want to try something other than phenobarbitol. Gabapentin for my dog calms the brain waves but doesn't have such a sedating effect as phenobarb and I think it works much better. Good luck with your dog and best wishes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I've had acupuncture done on one of my dogs and one of my horses. It looked painful to me but when the needles where stuck in, you could visibly see both my dog and horse relax. Did it do any long term good? I'd like to think so and I wouldn't hesitate to use it again. Both times, my horse vet and dog vet suggested it. On another note, my Mother swears by acupuncture and has it done regularly.

I have had freinds use it with much success for nerve problems, muscle injuries. Seizures, no. What tests were done before the pheno was started. Most epilepsie (kind of a blanket term in canines). Seven is late for it to start (Usually around 2.5 to 3 years old). And several a month is kind of a high number to start, is this an indoor dog, or if outdoor is it possible she has been having one or two a year unnoticed? Any if the pheno was working, it is a drug that will need to be increased (dose) over the dogs life, check with your vet, and as stated above, there are newer meds out there that are also effective.

My vet uses acupuncture with chiropractic adjustments that I have done on my dogs....haven't had a need to use them for anything else, but I wouldn't hesitate if I had a acupuncturist who knew what they were doing!!

~kathryn

Latest posts

Back