Harness Parts

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a mini dream come true

Reaction score
I have a harness that was given to me. Thank you Jackie. Anyway it doesn't have a crupper or trace lines for it. It is a very nice harness otherwise. Patent show quality. Can someone tell me where to find the trace lines (buckle in) and crupper. They need to be patent

Last edited by a moderator:
Most good harness makers also sell the individual parts. While I've never looked specifically for patent leather parts, I assume that they would also be available. I would call or email...they may not list them on their website, but would still sell them.

Do you know who made this harness? I'd start by asking them.

driving essentials can get you parts. Or you can find a local harness shop depending on where you live to make the parts to match your harness. I am in SE pa. and there are a few local amish shops around me that will make parts for harnesses.

Hi! You could check with Janie at Chimacum Tack....seems they can make just about anything to your specifications. Here's the link: http://www.comfyfitharness.com/

Don't know specifically about the patent, but you can literally try everything on and send it back without ever making a payment! Hope that helps, good luck!

Katie

I have a harness that was given to me. Thank you Jackie. Anyway it doesn't have a crupper or trace lines for it. It is a very nice harness otherwise. Patent show quality. Can someone tell me where to find the trace lines (buckle in) and crupper. They need to be patent
Have you tried Ozark or Star Lake Tack?

Thanks for all the help. I'll try Chimacum. They are here in Texas. I have looked at Ozark and they would only have the crupper. Traces come with the breast coller. Not too sure about Star Lake. May try them also. If I can get this one together then that would give me three harnesses. And still no horse that is trained to drive
default_new_rofl.gif
:rofl
default_new_rofl.gif
. I have the carts (3) the harnesses (2 1/2), the books, the DVD's, but not the confidence to try training. I've not even driven or rode with one so I'm feeling a little inept at trying to train and there is no one close to me that I have found yet as a mentor.

Thanks for all the help. I'll try Chimacum. They are here in Texas. I have looked at Ozark and they would only have the crupper. Traces come with the breast coller. Not too sure about Star Lake. May try them also. If I can get this one together then that would give me three harnesses. And still no horse that is trained to drive
default_new_rofl.gif
:rofl
default_new_rofl.gif
. I have the carts (3) the harnesses (2 1/2), the books, the DVD's, but not the confidence to try training. I've not even driven or rode with one so I'm feeling a little inept at trying to train and there is no one close to me that I have found yet as a mentor.
My advice would be to decide which is the best of the 3 carts, keep it and sell the other 2 and do the same with the harnesses. Use the money you make selling your equipment to have your horse trained professionally OR buy a horse that is already trained - prices are down right now so it is a good time - and get yourself a few lessons in driving. Having no experience with riding or driving is NOT a good place to start to even attempt to train your own horse to drive.

I totally agree, Milo. The nearest training place is a 5hr drive. Prices are down on carts and horses and I have been looking at a gelding that drives. One cart is a show cart, one is for training, and the other could be used for CDEs. Same with the harnesses. It's just making the decision on which way to go.
default_wacko.png
Once I do though I'll be fine.

a mini dream come true said:
Anyway it doesn't have a crupper or trace lines for it. It is a very nice harness otherwise. Patent show quality. Can someone tell me where to find the trace lines (buckle in) and crupper. They need to be patent
Even on a patent show harness, the crupper and traces are usually not patent.
default_unsure.png
Good-quality cruppers are traditionally made of soft rounded leather stuffed with linseed or flax seed which release oil when squeezed to help keep the leather soft; patent would be sort of pointless under the tail, not to mention uncomfortable! Traces are a high-stress, high-wear area on a harness and again, stiff shiny patent would not be a good material for this. Patent is typically found on the blinkers, saddle, and on a full show harness on the breastcollar and cavesson/browband as well.

a mini dream come true said:
Thanks for all the help. I'll try Chimacum. They are here in Texas. I have looked at Ozark and they would only have the crupper. Traces come with the breast coller. Not too sure about Star Lake.
I adore Chimacum but for what you're describing I'd try Ozark, Star Lake or Mini Express. Regardless of what the website says they will all sell you the parts you need.
default_smile.png
(Trust me, Ozark DOES sell buckle-in traces. Tell her what width you need to fit in your existing buckle and how long you want them.)

BTW, "lines" typically refers to the reins when driving so just say you need traces and a crupper.
default_wink.png

Leia

Leia,

Thank you for the advice. I hadn't thought about the crupper being patent. I'm still so new to this, but am learning a lot by the questions. even if they are worded wrong. Learning the terminology is something else I need to work on. Thank you so much for letting me know that. I'll call and ask. And thank you for the hint
default_wink.png
I will remember that one.

Don't confuse me with Sandee at Iowa Carriage but she has been very helpful to me. She gets her stuff from Amish harness makers and the prices are reasonable.

Latest posts

Back