hardshipping to AMHA

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobinRTrueJoy

Reaction score
I have a beautiful homozygous mare that I would love to hardship to AMHA... she is already AMHR. I know that it costs $600 plus expenses , but what I want to know is .... was it a pain in the butt to do it??

When i did it is was no problem at all and everything worked out smoothly. Had a past director that lived within 70 miles of me that did the inspection.

I hardshipped a mare four years ago and a stallion this year, SIX GEMS YING YANG, who is a son of our beloved Macado whom we lost two years ago. I didn't have trouble with either hardship, I drove the horse to the director and they measured them without a problem. It really is not a big problem, just when you send in your money, include the DNA $$$ and it will go a little faster. I guess if you didn't have an AMHA director within a reasonable distance, it could be a pain, but neither director was very far from us. I used Ray Ross (OH) for my mare and Don Fox (PA) for Ying.

Good luck to you, Kathleen Sullivan

ying_yang.jpg

Robin,

I've hardshipped 4 different horses over the last few years and they were all easy to do. It does take some time, but not difficult at all. If you have a current director or past director close by, it will make the whole process easier.

What exactly is the process? do I haul to the directer? Do they pull hair for the DNA and what do they check, Height? teeth? Conformation? I have a beautiful black and white mare that came form an auction, she is really nicely put together and I think she is better quality than most seen at these backyard auctions, I think she must have had papers at one time but we do pick up alot at these without them and sell them into pet or 4-H homes. Is there any way that the registry will attempt to identify the horse from pictures? she is a pinto with very distinct markings. She seems very well handled and what a mover! Id love to add her to our broodmare string or drive her Any information would be great Thanks
yes.gif

Very easy. I filled out the paperwork, we did the dna test, and the director came to see and measure her right her at my farm, no charge b/c she was already going to the beach to vacation and it was on her way.

Aside from the expense, it is not super hard or inconvenient to do.

They do inspect the horse for bite, etc. and visually for signs for dwarfism, but other than that, no problem.

Liz M.

RobinRTrueJoy said:
I have a beautiful homozygous mare that I would love to hardship to AMHA... she is already AMHR. I know that it costs $600 plus expenses , but what I want to know is .... was it a pain in the butt to do it??
497275[/snapback]

Hi Robin, When I checked into it the biggest drawback was the expense of having a director come for the inspection. There were none in my area and I would have had to pay their travel expense, meals, motel and whatever they wanted to charge for their time. If you have one near you I think it would be pretty easy.

By the way.............Is it Misty you want to hardship? I wanted to do that with her too, I think she would be worth doing it!

When I hardshipped my horses, I contacted the director ahead of time and found a horse show he was already going to and I took my horses to the show. He did the inspection between classes. It worked out well.

Freida

Hi All, thank you for your help.

It is Misty that I want to hardship. I really loved her before, but after she produced that fabulous foal, slimmed down, shedded out and I finally got to see exactly how great she is, well I wanted to hardship her. Maybe this yearI can get the $ together.

Misty is now bred for 2006 to my beautiful(if I do say so myself) blue eyed homozygous black pinto Graffiti. Sooo, Misty's 2006 foal wil be a homozygous pinto for sure.

RobinRTrueJoy said:
Hi All, thank you for your help. It is Misty that I want to hardship. I really loved her before, but after she produced that fabulous foal, slimmed down, shedded out and I finally got to see exactly how great she is, well I wanted to hardship her. Maybe this yearI can get the $ together.

Misty is now bred for 2006 to my beautiful(if I do say so myself) blue eyed homozygous black pinto Graffiti.  Sooo, Misty's 2006 foal wil be a homozygous pinto for sure.

498179[/snapback]

Well, Congrats on your next foal! I told you you would fall in love with her once you had a chance to see what she really looks like! I always did love that gal, she just would not settle for me. Really glad she did for your guy! It would be well worth it to hardship her I think! But I MIGHT be a little bit prejudiced...you think?

Thanks for the unput. I too have a mare that I want to hardship into AMHA, my little palomino mare in the avatar, Send A Message SOS.

Latest posts

Back