Handling the New Foal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TuffyLynn

Reaction score
default_saludando.gif
Hi! I am VERY excited to have our first foal come (at anytime now)...It is my mare's 4th foal but my first...out of my stallion at left...

what should we be doing to "imprint" the foal ... I have all the time in the world to work with him or her..

I would greatly appreciate advice or opinions... thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
I handle them as much as possible...rubbing them all over, finding their "spots" for scratching, picking up their feet and rubbing their ears. My filly-Trixie-enjoys it much more than my colt-Stormy! He is just now coming around to liking being rubbed and fussed over. Patience and soft voices works very well!
default_saludando.gif

I think we need to start a New England "new mini moms support group"!! I suspect we are all going to have a lot of the same questions.

Of course I am not an expert, having only had the one foal who is now 2 weeks old, but I think you want to hold off any "imprinting" until the mare has had her turn. The day after Max was born, once we saw how good his mom was doing, we carefully started handling him all over, etc. Mom was protective but not overly so, and did not get upset with us handling him. Max seems to like us handling him all over and even lets us pick up his little feet.

I liked to get on the ground at eye level with my Little Man. I also set in a chair and he would run around me and try to climb in my lap. This was in the round pen.

Yes, touch a lot and love on them. A little pushing ok, but let them know you will and can push back. When very young, do in a playful way, cause that is how they mean it.

Lildrummer

We gently massage the foal's ears, and all four legs. Larry pats their hooves several times. Those are the sensitive areas on horses as they become adults.

I would recommend repeating the process several times when your new little one is only days old....... I've noticed that if we don't repeat it more than two or three times, it does make a difference.

We know a wonderful lady who is totally into ** 100 NOSE KISSES ** And I think it's a neat idea.
default_smile.png
Every baby she has she gives them 100 kisses when they are born.......
default_biggrin.png

Latest posts

Back