Hand walking - how long to start with?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DixieBelle

Reaction score
This is in reference to Dixie, our new-addition 18/20-year-old miniature horse with dwarfism that currently more commonly resembles a pygmy hippopotamus.

She's now off the rb, and is starting on Horsetech High Point Grass/Mixed Hay vitamin/mineral supplement. However, she needs to get moving more, which is a challenge with her heaves and our still somewhat high temps (90-93 degrees) and high humidity. But today started with a nice cool breeze, which tells me not-summer is coming (Louisiana has summer and not-summer. lol). So, I'm trying to come up with a little "workout" program for Ms. Tubbo. It does seem that her breathing is more heavy breathing than vigorous heaving, and she only coughs 2-3 times per day as opposed to 2-3 times per hour (she is still on the SmartBreathe supplement as well, but no idea as to its true effect as opposed to the effect of just changing her environment).

Our front yard is a good half-acre, and we have two nice huge Live Oak trees that provide great shade. So, this morning I got Dixie out and my 3-yr-old, Dixie,and I slowly ambled around the front yard. She was very curious and interested in her surroundings, and had a little spring in her crooked leged steps, but I in no way wanted to overdo anything. Today was just more of beginning to get her acclimated to being away from the other two and a chance for me to see how she does on-lead.

But this brings me to my question: What length of time would you recommend we start off with while hand walking at a slow pace? 5 minutes once a day? 5 minutes twice a day? 10 minutes? More?

It's been a loooong time since I've worked with a mini (over 20 years), and I've never dealt with one with dwarfism nor a horse that is cow-hocked. I'm unsure to what adverse effect such structural abnormalities have on the body when trying to get the horse in light "work".

Any and all input appreciated. Thanks!

To be honest, we once had a dwarf and never made her walk anywhere. If she walked anywhere it was because she wanted to go. She only lived to be 11, she had just as many disablities on the inside as out, and we never forced her to do anything but to be loved on. At the end she had severe arthritis our vet had given up. She gave me many years of joy as she had a great personality and was just like a puppy. So as old as your girl is, I would just love on her, care for her to the best of your ability and just let her be her.

I went to the dentist one morning after feeding horses, came home, she was gone to heaven, just that fast. At least she went to vist God all cleaned up, as she had just had a bath the day before. She loved a nice hot bath. I hate to say it since I have show horses, but I miss this little one that never saw a show, but she showed me the true heart of horse.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't understand the handwalking either. If she has heaves, and especially problematic legs, I would leave her alone on the walking part. It doesn't take much to set any of them off with the heaves and with leg problems, she would not be doing a thing around here in the forced walking part. She's also a senior citizen which I think looks very good, and I can think of nothing more she'd appreciate than your loving attention which she obviously already gets. Best wishes.

Awww, Riverrose28, you just put a big lump in my throat. How lucky was your little one to be accepted and loved regardless of how god made her.

DixieBell, you shouldn't feel it is absolutely necessary to force exercise on your girl. If her diet is monitored and she has room to wander/play when she feels up to it, you have given her everything she needs to maintain her fitness. If she is physically able (her leg joints may be fine with short walks, you know her better than I do) walks can be a nice way to bond with her but I would not be too worried about making her 'get fit'. Just enjoy her and spend time with her on her terms.

Let me be more clear: I'm not talking about taking her in hand and marching at a steady walk endlessly for minutes. I was referring more to a slow meandering stroll around the front yard under the oak trees. In no way am I speaking in terms of conditioning her, but rather just get her moving just a little bit.

The reason we have her is because I felt compelled to give her a home where she can live out the rest of her life and just "be". She's not going to be ridden (heaven forbid anyone would do that!) or driven or anything of that nature. I have no dreams of a turning her into a sleek muscular show horse. I was merely inquiring if 5, maybe 10 minutes (in the future) of slooow walking, possibly with my 3-year-old or 5-year-old at the lead learning proper handling technique, would be ok, and whether it would be beneficial or detrimental.

She does move about the pasture more and more with the other 2, and she even broke into a canter the other day, after seemingly being bitten by the frisky bug.

I'm not trying to be defensive, just trying to better explain what I was asking, as I feel my question may have been understood.
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Riverrose, thank you for sharing.
default_smile.png

We definitely weren't looking for Dixie, but rather for a young show-quality mini around 5 years of age. When this situation presented itself, I could not, nor had the desire to, say no.

Let Dixie be your cue as to whether or not she can handle 5-10 minutes of ambling about your property on a lead line; she'll let you know when enough is enough. And, with her you'll know she's not just being uncooperative, but rather just done with ambling.

DixieBelle, I hope our comments didn't seem like an attack. I think we recognize your good intentions and I think you will see for yourself pretty quickly if the walking on lead is becoming too much for your girl. I for one believe light activity is good for keeping anyone - horse or human- more flexible so I see no harm in talking strolls with her, again, I think you will notice if she is not enjoying the walks because they are becoming painful. I think the fact she is running on her own is a very good sign and a testament to how your care is making her feel better. Trust your instincts, your heart will guide you. She may even enjoy the feeling of being important and taking your children on educational walks LOL I have several horses here who think they are special when they get to go do something with me.

I didn't mean to offend, and yes, maybe I am misunderstanding. Why do you want to lead her around! I think it is great she can go into the yard and have all the attention from you and the kids, as these little ones deserve all the love and attention they can get. Sounds like you are doing a great job in that department. I was just relating about my experience with our dwarf. In the end the only time she had a halter on was for a vet visit, or to have her feet done. Ours had a really bad underbite and breathing was difficult, her arthritis meds were put her in her feed. When it came time to have her hooves trimmed we got her out of the paddock, placed a comforter in the back of our polaris ranger, that had a dump bed, my farm help would climb in, hubby and I would pick her up, lay her down and trim her hooves, one side at a time, as fast as possable, she couldn't even stand on three legs, that is how bad she was. Sounds like your girl is in much better shape. If she is breathing OK, I don't think a few minutes of being lead around would hurt her, just use your own judgment. sorry, if I offended in any way.

Reignmaker, I didn't think that at all. I just didn't want anyone to wonder if I'd turned crazy by seemingly wanted to do something that wasn't my intention at all. After retreading my original post, I can see how it could come across as me wanting to hand walk for conditioning, when I truly mean more so to keep her moving a bit. I'm depending on the diet change and change in environment to slowly get some of the weight off, as I do think that's key to helping with her breathing along with alleviating undue musculoskeletal stress.

I will definitely keep an eye on her.
default_smile.png

Today was the second day I pulled her out the pasture and just let her hang out in the front yard under one of our big oaks for approx. 5 minutes. She really seems to enjoy it. Today my 3-year-old got to practice leading her, and then he dug in the dirt while she watched intently. I can only guess that she assumed carrots and peppermints were going to be found. Lol

Pardon the typos. The bright sun makes typing on an iPhone a true challenge.

I would do some equine massage on her. I bet she would love it.

I have a question? What makes you think your little girl is a dwarf or has dwarf characteristics?

I just looked at her pictures, and don't see any signs of dwarfism but maybe I am missing something.

What I do see is a cute little older style miniature horse. That's it. I remember you said she was cow hocked and well so are plenty of horses out there which doesn't mean a dwarf thing. either Just had to bring this up to cause a stir LOL.

Anyone ready for us to all join hands and sing a round of Kumbaya?

Retreating now......
default_hypocrite.gif

Luv ya!

Marty, I do not know for certain that she is, but that is my educated guess. Her body appears to be average sized, but her leg bones (specifically the humerus, radius, femur, and tibia) appear to be abnormally short. Her ears are oddly undersized as well.

I'm by no means an expert in dwarfism, and I'm more familiar with it in canines, but what "guessing" I do is based upon my background in veterinary medicine (RVT) and studies on dwarfism in dogs.

And no need to run. I enjoy a good civil conversation and/or debate. ;)

I don't know the proper terms for the types of dwarfism, but from these pictures she looks like she might be the "wiener dog" style of dwarf, where the body is somewhat normal but the limbs are rather short, especially the upper leg bones (so I think tibia/fibula and radius); this type usually lives a rather normal life and just has some early onset arthritis (compared to the host of issues the other types of dwarves can suffer from).

She's very cute.

Latest posts

Back