Halter Classes

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skylight_minis

Reaction score
I'm finally taking Dream Girl to her first show May 15th. Yippee.
biggrin.gif
She's a yearling and a mighty fine one at that! So i was trying to pick classes for her and was wondering what the difference between a Amature Halter Class and a Yearling Mare class is? Would a yearling be best off just showing against other yearlings? How well would a Yearling place against the older Mares that may be in the same height class under the Amature Halter Class?

Heres's some pics i took of her. For those of you that go to shows regularly, how do you think she would place in a halter class, first , second,....? I Know depends on the other horses in the class its a broad question. Just pair her against other yearlings you've seen in the show ring. I think she has a nice hip, neck, head, legs. Could maybe have a cleaner throat latch...

dr1.jpg

dr10.jpg

dr4.jpg

dr7.jpg

dr6.jpg

dr2.jpg

dr8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I show my young ones in the proper age group classes so that they are showing against horses of there own age, but remember you will be showing against trainers, but I go for it. I ALSO show my young ones in ammy classes. And I had one filly that we did very well within those classes even against older horses. Jump in and go for it.

thanks... With this being her first show maybe i should just do one halter class and the yearling one may be the easiest since she wouldnt be up against seasoned show horses with years of experience. I'm sure she wont stand at a show the same way she stands at home. I am planning on taking her to a friends house this weekend to "practice" for the show. I wanted to have her trained by someone that knew what they were doing but i found out that was pricey so we'll just be floundering around having fun. No high expectations just a training show. Can't Learn and get better at it if you dont do it, right? lol

I try to enter new show horses in lots of classes if for nothing else but the practice. The more you take a horse in the ring the better they get (and the handler) I would put her in open, ammy and multi color. I have seen young horses win against older ones but it is more rare. I have even seen weanlings win it. Just depends on the competition that day.

I agree with the above, just wanted to say what a pretty girl! love her big eye and nice expression.

thanks... With this being her first show maybe i should just do one halter class and the yearling one may be the easiest since she wouldnt be up against seasoned show horses with years of experience. I'm sure she wont stand at a show the same way she stands at home. I am planning on taking her to a friends house this weekend to "practice" for the show. I wanted to have her trained by someone that knew what they were doing but i found out that was pricey so we'll just be floundering around having fun. No high expectations just a training show. Can't Learn and get better at it if you dont do it, right? lol
You've got the right attitude. Go for it. You probably have the better chance in the yearling class. I've seen amateur classes that are so huge I'd hate to stand in the arena that long and sometimes the amateurs are showing a horse that a trainer has worked with so it's not exactly "amateur"! I'd love for AMHR to have AOTE (amateur, owned, trained, and exhibited).

Latest posts

Back