Halter Classes at Schooling/Open Shows

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grace67

Reaction score
I own a 34 inch seasoned show gelding and I'd like to take him to a local, very low key, all breeds, schooling show next month. Its been many years since I've shown and I just want to get out and have some fun and get us both back in the groove of showing again. My background is in AQHA so my experience is with stock horse types, my little guy is more arab-y in his look and tends to set up stretched out. I have always shown in western attire with a glitzy silver show halter, western hat, boots, etc. I've been watching the AMHR and PtHA shows online this year and I see a mix of everything. So what's appropriate for us at this level? Will I be out of place in western garb with a mini in a cable show halter all stretched out or should I be working on getting him to square up more like a stock horse and using a western style show halter? We don't have much of a mini following here locally and I'd really like for us to make a good impression on the show folks so that they take us seriously and might possibly start adding some mini classes to future shows. Am very open to suggestions!

I've shown Mingus several times at our county fair open show, and using those shows as a guide, you should be fine whatever you choose to wear. Plenty of people around here show AMHR with cowboy boots and hat and a cable halter (on the horse, LOL!).

Mingus loves to park out, so while I try to avoid the extreme stretch, I show him because he loves it, and fun for him means stretching. According to AMHR rules, you want to show your horse to its best advantage, square or slightly stretched. If this show is more western, others will probably be squared up, but still, a slight stretch should be fine. Most importantly, have fun and take photos!

Thanks Susanne yes this is all about having fun and slowly getting back into showing again! My gelding Captain loves to square up and stretch out waiting patiently for a treat (I'm guessing this is how he was trained) and even does it for the farrier and my vet who have no clue why he's trying so hard to make himself look big and handsome LOL. I will definitely get some pics, am just loving this little horse and can't wait to get started driving with him over the winter, I think he's got a lot of heart and desire and just wants to have fun
default_472.gif

Latest posts

Back