Hallow in the hips

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dee

Reaction score
I've noticed on our preggo mare that she is more mushy/hallow right in front of her hips and lions area. Her belly had dropped quite a bit. What causes this? Is it from the foal sitting with it's butt down towards the ground?

It was actually really cool the other night cause I could feel the foal rolling and almost pushing back against my hand on these spots.

Thanks for your help!

When do you expect the foal?

They do drop down, then go into the birth canal... And the muscles in the hind end become less firm.

We don't know her dates. This was not a planned foal. She came into our care in December. Let's just say she is in better hands now and this is her last baby.

I posted pics under my thread yesterday called "need opinion" if u need to see.

She doesnt look hallow it's just between where her rib cage ends and her hip it's not so hard.

If you are meaning that the mare looks hollow/flat just in front of her hip bone near where the ribs end, then this is because the foal has dropped in readiness for birth. The area between her hip, backbone and her tail should now feel a bit soft, maybe a little hollow or, as breeders call it, mushy. That taken with the pics posted of her vulva means that you should not take your eyes off her LOL!! Of course knowing our mini mares, she may wait another 10 days before foaling, or she may go tonight!

Good luck!

Anna

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds like your mare is getting close to foaling.

Check her butt muscles. They should be feeling soft (I call it a jello butt)
default_smile.png
Her vagina opening should be looking a bit stretched down. And of course, her bag should be filling with milk.

If you can get any liquid from her nipples (by gently squeezing down onto your hand) notice if the "milk" is at all sticky.

Thanks guys!

Yes she is mushy on both sides of her tail and has been holder her tail up. Those signs have been showing for the last 3 weeks.

Her bag is getting bigger and bigger in the last 4 days I have noticed, but still seems a bit small to me. I could be wrong. She has never waxed before with her other foals.

Here are some pics it ok today. To me she seemed lots looser in the morning pics, but maybe thats just me. No matter what she is being watched like a hawk!

Thannks again!!

Taken Yesterday

photo-7.jpg

photo-8.jpg

photo-9.jpg

Taken tonight[/b]

050.jpg

049.jpg

046.jpg

I've been comparing pics and looking at lots of her poop in the last 4 weeks...you know you are a horse person when!
default_unsure.png

Looks to me as though you will not have long to wait!

Anna

Latest posts

Back