Gum color

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BFS_Simon_Says

Reaction score
So I don't know if I should be worried about this or not, I've never dealt with it before. I noticed last night that Spirit's gum and upper lip color is a pale pink(normal?) but some spots are a bluey black. I'm not sure if it's normal, a color thing or if something is drastically wrong. I took some pictures they are blurry but it give you an idea of where the spots are(hard to take pictures of the inside of his mouth while holding him).

IMG_2670.jpg

IMG_2671.jpg

IMG_2673.jpg

Some horses have pigmented gums... like a purple color. I sort of think it's like the Chow breed of dogs that sometimes have purple tongues.

I couldn't tell you without seeing, but have they always been that color or are they normally pink or have you just not noticed before?

Andrea

Looks normal to me, provided of course that your horse is acting and eating fine. Many horses have dark pigment on the underside of their lips and on their gums.

Everything has been normal, temperature, respiratory rate, heart beat, he's eattig and drinking normal, I just never noticed this coloring before.

Latest posts

Back