Grullo(a)...Love it, or not-so-much?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyMenagerie

Reaction score
Hi There,

I'm looking at boys again/still....just haven't found the "perfect" one to compliment my girls yet.....still looking!
default_rolleyes.gif

Of course I know that conformation, health & temperment come first.

After that though, is aesthetics, and color & size play a big part in that.

What do you think of grullo(a)s? (Black with a dun gene on it; Black Dun). Love the color, or not-so-much?

And what height do you prefer in your boys. I have AMHA/AMHR mares, so of course whatever boy I get will also be AMHA/AMHR, which would limit me to under 34".

Just wondering if you aim for a particular height; prefer over 30", Under 30", closer to 34".

I know what I'm looking for, but just curious how I compare with everybody else
default_yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't be so concerned about color. Except for the grey gene, most people are not picky about color (some people do like or dislike the pinto or appy coloring). Color is personal preference, and I think you will find MOST people are more picky about overall quality.

Remember, most National Grand Champion stallions are not picked on color. And plenty, plenty of them are solid bay or something like that
default_smile.png

I would keep saving and saving money while looking and looking... the more time you spend the more money you will amass towards it and the nicer horse you may come across.

And who cares what kind of stallion WE like? I usually am on the lookout for mares, but will always look at nice colts, and if the horse is IT, and happens to be a colt, I get it
default_smile.png
I just wait for that 'whole package" to come along. But it's what I like, what is "IT" for ME.

Good luck,

Andrea

I love it but then I'm partial…our only foal was grullo this year
default_wub.png

Well I must like Grullo, have about a dozen of thm and my driving stallion is a Grullo, sharp color clipped! I go for 32" to 34" in a stud as my primary focus is driving. Do have people come out looking for Grullo specifically so I think it is a sought agter color for some and not all that common.

Here is my boy!

IMG_1950.jpg

i LOVE grullo! my 2yr old girl is grullo and looks like a lighter copy of her mother, she's beautiful! pics of her and her mother are on my website. as for size i like under 30" because my smallest girl will be 27". quality under 30" is REALLY hard to find(at least it is in maine!).

Well I must like Grullo, have about a dozen of thm and my driving stallion is a Grullo, sharp color clipped! I go for 32" to 34" in a stud as my primary focus is driving. Do have people come out looking for Grullo specifically so I think it is a sought agter color for some and not all that common.

Here is my boy!

IMG_1950.jpg

wow! look at that trot! he must be one heck of a driver!

Color is a personal preference, and everyone has theirs. One of the prettiest colors I ever saw was a Silver Grullo. Wow, knock your socks off beautiful. But, keep in mind that unless a horse is homozygous for a particular gene, there is no guarantee they will pass it on. Duns (of any color) are usually not my pick, but if heterozygous, you can get almost any color foal.

On size, I personally prefer 30 and under. I got into Minis because I wanted the Smallest possible horse with correct proportions. Both of my stallions are under 30. Both Black base (heterozygous), one homozygous for Tobiano and one LWO positive. With the mares I have, I can wind up with almost any color foal except double dilute or Dun.

I love all duns and am really happy with my grulla pinto filly foaled in April! I like stallions 32" or smaller.
willow5-21rht.jpg

This lovely Grullo colt was born here out of a gorgeous mare I bought in foal from Thousand Oaks. Well, actually, we are waiting for the dun test to come back from UC Davis, but there is little doubt in my mind- he has barring at the leg and withers, cobwebbing on the forehead, a dorsal stripe, and etc. So far we know he is Homozygous Black and LWO + ! wowza! The dun test will be in next week. Oh my goodness- can this boy move and so upheaded
default_smile.png
LOVE HIM! Can't wait to clip him!!!
default_smile.png

Quest.jpg

Had a silver grulla filly a couple years ago and it was the most beautiful color I've ever seen. I also love my silver red dun mare. She's 'different'.

My stallions range from 30-34 right now. We like small-under 30 is my favorite, but only high quality. Just seems like my past few stallion purchases have been for leggy boys. Good thing my mares are good size reducers!

It is my favorite color. And while yes, conformation is 1st, if I can find a quality horse with grullo/grulla coloring..... I am there....lol. I had a super grullo colt born this year out of one of my favorite mares that is grulla and a black stallion. It is a beautiful color.....

I don't think minis come in an ugly color.
default_wub.png

There are a few colors I don't like to see on big horses, but minis "wear" the color much better!

I had my first Grullo colt this year, out of a black pinto (with dorsal strip) an a regular black pinto. So refined, such a pretty head and thin neck.

I wondered if he would turn black, but so far his body is still a much lighter color than his head, dorsal strip and shoulder and neck strips. Such a PRETTY color.

But yes, one should first buy for conformation before color, but if one could get both.
default_wub.png

Latest posts

Back