Growing a mane out

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WashingtonCowgirl

Reaction score
If I were to roach a mane, how long (typically) would it take to grow it back out? Spanky looks like he got run over with a lawnmower and I am seriously considering just cutting it all off and letting it grow back in correctly
default_smile.png

Oh my I cannot even imagine roaching one of mine. Is it supposed to make it come in better? I cannot imagine why it would but who knows...

I don't see how roaching a mane can encourage it to grow back "corectly". I'd work with what you have. Good luck!

Oh my I cannot even imagine roaching one of mine. Is it supposed to make it come in better? I cannot imagine why it would but who knows...
I've had to do it with several of my big horses. I think that they do come in better because I take super good care of manes/tails so they don't get a chance to get dry and brittle and break.

His mane currently is about 300 different lengths, and its like they tried to thin it, but not all of it so there are parts underneath that are mohawking, causing the rest of the mane to stick up everywhere. They also somehow shortened it about 6 inches, as it was almost to his knee, now it barely reaches his point of shoulder. I think I'm going to do it when I go out there tomorrow... I can't STAND it looking like this :p

I don't see how roaching a mane can encourage it to grow back "corectly". I'd work with what you have. Good luck!
By correctly I mean all one length. I don't show, so I'm not to worried about any awkward stages, I'd just like to start fresh

If you just want to start fresh, then roaching may be the way to go. How long it takes to look decent depends on the individual, some grow hair fast, some not so much.

Not a mini, but my husband's saddle gelding gets his mane roached most every spring when he's going to be worked, and its 8-10" long by the next spring. He's just a big grade dun gelding, but seems to have "appy hair", sparse and short; poor guy has a really short tail, so not much for swatting flies.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to do it. I bought the stuff to put up his tail, as that got about 8ish inches shorter as well so it is staying up all winter. My grade paint gelding is the same, ZERO mane , so it gets roached every summer. But he has a suuuper thick tail. My paint mare has a ridiculous amount of super fine mane that requires detangling every 5 minutes but its just to dang perfect to even pull (think Passion Buck) so I usually keep hers up the same way I keep everyones tails up, just in smaller sections
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I roached one of mine Around this time last year. Took care if it during the winter had a decent mane for showing in the late spring.

It's now a year later back to his knees.

Since you're not showing, why not? You're correct that it won't grow in any faster, but it will get it all back to the same length and will grow out before you know it.

I roached my late Thelonius' mane after he rubbed most of it out, and it turned out to be his look -- he was already adorable, but this was the frosting on a sweet little cake. Of course, once I decided to keep it that way, I was constantly clipping it, as it grew in so fast.

Last August I had to roach my little geldings mane off, or what was left. He had a beautiful knee length mane that because of sweet itch he rubbed half of it off in the dirt rolling around like a beached whale. Surprisingly by the end of February it was already 5 inches long and looked like we had pulled it for show. Another surprise was that through all the tears as I clipped his mane off my husband and i both realized he had a beautiful neck hidden under that long mane and he actually looked good without his mane too!

Let us know how it goes !! Post a picture after you do it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back