groom with two wheeled vehicle in marathon...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jegray21

Reaction score
Is it required in the marathon part to have a groom ride with you in a two wheeled cart? how much weight can the minis really pull? the cart i am going to get for cde weighs 97lbs...just thinking that plus two people sounds like a lot...

Very Small Equines (39" or 99cm and under at the withers) are not required to carry a groom/navigator at an American Driving Society CDE. It is optional for singles. Pairs and tandems need one groom.

The weight minis can pull is really a whole other topic!
biggrin.gif
There are so many variables, such as ground surface, conditioning, vehicle design, etc. However, I REALLY do think that they can pull more weight pound for pound than their "big" horse counterparts. For the big horses, the "rule of thumb" is not to exceed 70-80% of their body weight. For a 300 lb. mini, that's 210 lbs., vehicle and driver and stuff. For your 97 lb. vehicle, I hope you weigh no more than 113 lbs.! I know I don't!
laugh.gif

There have been a couple of "informal" studies of this out west (at Happ's I think, but I should go to bed instead of look it up right now). Any Westerners that can chime in on this?

Myrna

Latest posts

Back