Green + Green = black and blue

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MelissaAH

Reaction score
I don't know what is wrong with me. I didn't even think of this until someone mentioned it to me on another forum.

I am going to take driving lessons first just to see if it's for me. So I thought cool, take lessons then buy a horse that I like and have it trained. And someone made the above remark.

If I lfind I like driving....should I already buy a horse that drives and been doing it a long time? The mare I have my eye on does not drive but can be trained. Bad idea? The breeder does have a horse that has been driving but is a stallion and she said he would need to be gelded.

If I were you, I would take driving lessons AND buy a horse with a LOT of driving experience. I have recently returned to riding (full size horses) and am riding only older, super broke been-there-done-that type horses. I know, they are still horses and anything can happen, but I am on older horses who have seen it all. It's a LOT safer for me that way! There's no "thrill" involved and that's a good thing for me!

I think you would want a driving horse who has been used primarly for that - driving, and has been driving on a regular basis (not once or twice a year) or a horse that was trained to drive years ago but hasn't been regularly driven since then.

Good luck,

Liz R.

Last edited by a moderator:
I totally agree. Take some lessons and learn. Then buy an experienced horse. Less accidents for you and the horse. good luck. You will love driving. dionne

Another "what Liz said". Take lessons and buy a very experienced driving horse! Buying an untrained horse and having it trained costs as much in the long run as buying an experienced horse, plus you can be driving an experienced horse much sooner (with the help of a trainer of course). I went the route of buying an untrained horse, and after a lot of money in training and lessons, I still don't have the confidence to take her places without my instructor present, and my trainer doesn't have a lot of time to work with us at the moment. So I haven't had a chance to really learn to drive and get show experience, and gain confidence. As much money as I have in her training I could have bought a well broke driving horse and been a lot further along. I love her dearly and she really is a great horse, but it is much harder to learn this way and very frustrating so it takes some of the fun out of it.

Buy an experienced horse. Even if it is older than what you planned on and you might even end up being the horses retirement home. You will have a lot more fun and learn a lot more.

I also vote for lessons and a horse who's already done a lot of driving. You will feel more relaxed and enjoy yourself much more if you have a horse who's very well trained. PLUS with some of the prices I've seen on driving geldings, it's cheaper to buy a well trained, lots of miles one than to buy an untrained one and have it trained. Good luck!

Yup! Lessons first are a great idea.

A word of advice for when you go shopping for your very experienced starter driving horse: Be sure to watch the horse being hitched and driven by the person selling it. Don't just take their word that it drives and drives well. Once you have seen them driving it IF it looks quiet enough for you then get in the cart and drive it yourself even if just at a walk. IF you are not confident enough to drive the horse yourself then take a knowledgeable experienced person with you to drive it for you. There are plenty of horses out there that have tons of experience in the driving ring that are just NOT suitable for beginner drivers. The seller may well be experienced enough to make the horse look wonderful but what wins in the show ring may not be what would be good for a beginner to drive. Do not buy this starter horse over the internet - you need to be able to either drive it yourself OR have someone else you trust, and who knows your level of experience, drive it for you. Good luck and have fun - driving is a wonderful sport!!!

I agree...and if the seler does not have a picture of the horse under cart-walk away-if they say they dont have a cart anymore so cant hook them up for you-walk away! If you go and the horse is areadt hooked up-have them unhook the horse and start AL over again. You will see horses advertisied as broke to drive but then sellers wil say "He was broke when we bought him but we dont have a cart" or "Yes he is broke but we sold our cart". You need to see the horse hooked up and driven by the sellers! Good Luck-I know it sounds scary and compicated right now with all this advice but its not. What you are getting though is some good information and the warnings to avoid what some of us have discovered the hard way!! If you heed all this advice and take your time and find the right horse and learn to drive safey its a TOTAL BLAST!!!

Eveyones given you very good advice, just want to add one thing. What kind of driving do you want to do? Show or CDE's or on the trails for pleasure? You can have a WONDERFUL show ring driving mini that when you take them into the woods or down the road they freak. Abby was great in the show ring but when I started CDE's with her it was a different story. We had to get used to cows, goats, water crossings, birds flying up from the woods etc. Driving is so much fun, good luck, Kathy

I first heard that saying at one of the first driving shows I had been to where there was a really bad wreck with a big horse. It involved a fence, a truck, a

flat bed trailer and finally the barn.

Yup! Lessons first are a great idea.
A word of advice for when you go shopping for your very experienced starter driving horse: Be sure to watch the horse being hitched and driven by the person selling it. Don't just take their word that it drives and drives well. Once you have seen them driving it IF it looks quiet enough for you then get in the cart and drive it yourself even if just at a walk. IF you are not confident enough to drive the horse yourself then take a knowledgeable experienced person with you to drive it for you. There are plenty of horses out there that have tons of experience in the driving ring that are just NOT suitable for beginner drivers. The seller may well be experienced enough to make the horse look wonderful but what wins in the show ring may not be what would be good for a beginner to drive. Do not buy this starter horse over the internet - you need to be able to either drive it yourself OR have someone else you trust, and who knows your level of experience, drive it for you. Good luck and have fun - driving is a wonderful sport!!!
Just wanted to add some things to watch for: The horse should stand patiently to be harnessed and hitched. Should also stand quietly while being mounted and dismounted. Should not be upset by the touch of the whip. Should be immediately responsive to commands to move off and stop. Should have a quiet head and mouth and not fuss with or chew the bit. Should be relaxed - alert without being edgy or flighty.

If you are new to horses, definitely go for the lessons and a well broke driving horse!

That said, we broke our first Mini ourselves. I had plenty of "big horse" experience (I owned an Arab- can't get any more spazzy than THAT!) and READ READ READ a ton of books. He did absolutely great! Even went to Nationals one year with him and placed!

I think we're on our seventh or eighth horse we've trained to drive. We like having our guys "hand trained" by ourselves. We have one gelding who was bought trained, but we prefer our home breds!
default_wub.png

Lucy

Thanks for all the advice!!!
default_smile.png
The horse I have my heart on is NOT broke to drive. So you all know what that means, right? I have to buy her....THEN buy a second for driving! lol.
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
And maybe if I buy the horse from her, my lil cutey....then she can help me find a good broke horse. Is that common with breeders? I really like her. She has a stallion for sale that is broke to drive but she said I would have to have him gelded.
default_unsure.png

Doesn't everyone say you can't just have one?
default_laugh.png

I don't know what is wrong with me. I didn't even think of this until someone mentioned it to me on another forum.
I am going to take driving lessons first just to see if it's for me. So I thought cool, take lessons then buy a horse that I like and have it trained. And someone made the above remark.

If I lfind I like driving....should I already buy a horse that drives and been doing it a long time? The mare I have my eye on does not drive but can be trained. Bad idea? The breeder does have a horse that has been driving but is a stallion and she said he would need to be gelded.
If you are just starting to drive, you should get one that is already trained and is safe for you to learn with. Then, when you feel more confident, upgrade to one that is at your level for show. My gelding is like that.. I have had many drive their first time with him. Though he is not the best for show, he is really fun to drive down the road and has taught me and my daughters a lot.

Barb

Latest posts

Back