Grazing/pasture question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tigeresss

Reaction score
Hi there,

Our neighbour came by and asked if we would like to put our miniatures (we have three) on their hay field to graze as they have no use for it anymore. They don't want any money they just want the field used. The horses currently are not on pasture and haven't been in years but I have always wanted them to be as I feel it's just better/more natural. I don't know what the hay field is like, I have to go over there and check it out...but do you think this is something to consider? Do you see any problems with it?

Even if after being slowly introduced they ended up grazing all day and then I walked them back here in the evenings...or even just grazing part of the day...

Any tips/opinions would be much appreciated!

Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:
We introduce pasture about an hour at first, and build up from there. If it is really overgrown, you might want to consider mowing it first if it is really big.

You also need to scout the pasture for certain weeds. Hoary Alyssum is a big concern. It can cause horses to founder and worse. See the fact sheet. http://minnesota4h.com/distribution/livestocksystems/DI5567.html Here is another fact sheet on poisonous plants http://ohioline.osu.edu/b762/b762_24.html

Our horses love pasture and I wish we had more of it. They really "bloom" once on it (have great coats, etc.) Yes, they can get too fat with too much, hence possibly mowing it first.

Right now i am in panic mode because I have so much grass here we can't keep up with mowing it. Seems all I do it run horses on it and then back off down to dry lot. Its practically a full time job just doing that. Founder is a huge problem and it has me parnoid.

Most people assume that minis are just like big horses and should be used as lawn mowers.You would be surprised how many people contact CMHR and flat out tell us they want to adopt minis for lawn mowers. That's how minis usually end up with founder.

I agree they are horses and horses are grazers, but to a point and it needs to be regulated. I would do the checking as the above poster suggested, then have it mowed down to the nubs, and fence off say a one acre section for them. Introduce it to them very slowly say an hour for the first week, increase slowly over the next couple of weeks.

On the other hand, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Pasture 24/7= laminitis = founder = vet = $$$$ = euthanasia....

however ..there are some things you can do to minimize this ...

If it were me , I would introduce them to the pasture for 1or 2 hours a day also , and slowly build up to maximum 5 hours per day. Also I would mow that field first and get rid of the first cut long hay, and let them graze on short grass. If she can get cows or goats in there first to eat the rich grass and long stem it would be healthier for your horses to eat the leftovers, and reduce the risk of laminitis. First cut grass is not good for the horses IMO , its just how we think over here, others might agree or disagree. Warning , once you let those horses graze all day long they will get that bloated pot belly quickly. Basicly what I am saying is that I agree 1005 with the other 2 post has said.

Last edited:
As I have posted, we recently moved from Texas to Kentucky. We went from 2 acres to 17 1/2 acres. I too am very concerned about founder and colic as my four boys have always been on a dry lot. So the first thing we did was to construct a dry lot. We kept them on this smaller portion of the pasture until they had eaten all the grass down to nothing. (Didn't take long, either.) Then we divided the existing 5 acre pasture into fourths. We now have four 1 1/4 acre lush pastures. I can rotate as need be. Typically I let the horses onto the green in the morning about 8:30 or so. I don't let them stay out there but for about 4 hours (sometimes a tad longer if I can't get home in time), but never all day. I have trained them to come running when I ring my big "Liberty Bell" because it means they are getting a cookie. So when I am ready, I ring the bell and up they come all by themselves from the pasture onto the dry lot. All I have to do is close the gate. I'll have a flake or so of hay spread around for them to find and nibble on and then at 5:00 I'll give them their evening ration of hay. So far, so good. I have never seen the horses looking as good as they look now. The grass really seems to agree with them. I do watch them closely for any signs of trouble, paying particular attention to their feet. The only downside I have found is that since they are on the grass, they come in with ticks. EWWWWWWW. So when I let them in, I am out there picking them off of the horses. (they look at me like I'm nuts when I do this because it is usually accompanied by many exclamations of "ewww" and "gross")

I think going slow and careful is the way to go. I'm no authority but I think you can build up to 4 or 5 hours but no more. And I think you will have to mow the hay field, as well, maybe every 6 weeks or so? Mine like the new grass much better than the old, tough stuff so I mow a lot.

Well, I do not suggest you just turn them out and forget them (As if!!) but 24/7 pasture certainly does not, and should not = Laminitis.

Mine are out all the time, and I do not get laminitis.

I have one field grazed down to manageable, one at "normal" (ie big horse) level, and two that have just been allowed to grow. 12 acres altogether, and nothing is ever mowed, you do have to be careful cutting grass to be grazed as it can cause the grass to release certain enzymes that will help cause laminitis....so, not always a good idea.

I have 20 horses on this 12 acres, though, so a lot would depend on how big an area you are being offered.

Perhaps you could ask if they would mind you taking hay off it??

That way you could fence off maybe an acre for summer, /two acres for winter, and take hay off the rest, which might get you some cheap hay?

You could use grazing muzzles, then they can be out in the field longer.

Back