Gramma Pony (special thoughts for her/us...please?)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nootka

Reaction score
I haven't said much about it, but our little Gramma Pony (whom many of you know of or know personally, even) is off her feed. She's done it before here and there, but not for this long nor with this accompanying lackluster that's showed up in the past few days.

My vet's going to be here sometime this morning and he's hesitant to make that call without some more work on her.

So far, though, we can't find anything immediately wrong.

She's never really been sick other than some episodes of choke that were resolved pretty quickly.

In case you don't know our longest-standing miniature (a/k/a Dell Tera's Betty), you can visit her here:

Gramma Pony's page

grammap30.jpg

This photo was taken on her 30th birthday...she pretty much looks the same, year in and year out. I've been glad of that.

I'm pretty worried this time, though.

She's got a grandkid coming the first week of February and those are truly great times for her (when the new foals arrive).

She fusses just like the baby was hers, and follows them around obsessively but perfectly shadowing the real mom (her daughter, Cherry Bomb).

Ok, I'm babbling...if you can, just spare a thought that she gets through this ok, or...?

Thanks...
default_unsure.png

Liz

I'm truly sorry to hear she's not feeling well nootka. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your beloved Gramma Pony. Please let us know what the vet says!

Oh, I do hope it is nothing serious. I always enjoy hearing about Gramma Pony. I'll be praying.

OH Liz, so sorry to hear that Bet's is ailing - please be comforted in knowing deep down what a wonderful life you gave her -- I have no doubt that she would have passed to Rainbow Bridge long ago had it not been for your love and care. Our thoughts are with you, and hope & prayers that whatever the outcome may be that it is painfree for both of you,

Hugs, ((((( ))))

Stacy

Am so sorry Liz, that Grandma pony is not feeling well. Is very hard when they get older and start doing poorly. <HUGS> You have given her a wonderful home!

I had an Elder lady told me a number of years ago, both Maggie and her Mother came in with your mare..in a shippment of Dell Tera mini's from TX to the NW. Don't know how she knew....but Grandma might just have more relations in the NW. Haven't been able to find and talk to that person again. Wish I could.

Last edited by a moderator:
We'll be hoping for the best and the chance for her to enjoy another springtime with the foals.

What a wonderful long life!

She looks very kind.

Thanks, guys, Stacy, especially. I never would have known more about her background if it were not for you.

This is hard because I didn't ever want to see her "do poorly" but rather find her gone if that was the case...peacefully.

I'd far rather see her celebrate more birthdays in the condition she's been in.

Should know more, later...maybe.

Appreciate the thoughts.

Liz

I saw something a couple of days ago that made me think of her so I went to your site to see her. She sure is a grand ole girl.

Sending prayers for her.

Kim

Keeping the grand old lady in my thoughts and prayers, Liz.........

Hoping for a wonderful outcome. She has had such a wonderful life because of you.

Carol

she sounds like such a wonderful girl. I am praying for the best outcome for her.

I love the story of her and the grand kids. I so believe in the family life of horses. I am glad she has seen her own baby grow up to have grandbabys. How beautiful!!!!
default_wub.png

Liz-

Prayers for you and Gramma Pony. You've enabled her to have this long and happy life. I hope her being off is just a little blip in the road and she'll soon be feeling better and waiting on those new grandkids. Hugs to you both.

Barbie

Thoughts and prayers for peace and comfort for both of you - what a wonderful old mare she is
default_wub.png

I always love when you post about "Grandma"
default_wub.png
I am sorry she isn't doing well. Maybe she is going to say goodbye on her own and just needs a little time. Sometimes we as humans take a little time to let go and maybe she needs the same. I am really hoping that she just has a little sour stomach and will snap out of it
default_smile.png

Oh Liz, I am so sorry. My thoughts are with you, for sure. Hugs to you and GrammaPony. ((((()))))

I have been struggling this week also...Sedona was transported to the hospital again last night...second time this week. He is there at least until tomorrow morning.
default_sad.png

Oh Liz...I know what that's like. I'm so sorry.
default_sad.png
The number of our days is written but none of us may know the time until it comes- hopefully Grandma Pony's is still a ways off. I think it's hard on these old guys when winter finally hits; not only does the weather go bad and their joints hurt and such but everything in them tells them this is the hard season and sometimes I think they ponder just skipping the whole thing. Talk to her about spring and about new foals and how very much you'd like her to stay awhile longer but let her know if it's time, it's time and you'll take that long walk with her.

A beloved horse is NEVER alone when they take that final journey. A part of us goes with them.

Leia

P.S.- Amy, my prayers are with Sedona too! I think I'm going to go home and hug my boys.
default_sad.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Back