Gracie's Mini Mommas' To Be Page- All done foaling! Five Healthy Foals!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow nice mares. Very handsome stud as well. The foals are gone be NICE
default_smile.png

OK, I swear the mares are regressing!!! Both of their udders seem to have gotten smaller. I think they are loving all the pampering they are getting by being in the barn and getting daily pasture time that they have decided to hold off.

And again, thank you for the kind compliments on our lil ones. Diane, yes I have noticed you like the apps and we would love to make Pintaloosa baby someday.
default_thumbup.gif

Yes, I'm an appy breeder for sure. I only had one pinto on the farm before I got El Rey -- and she didn't last long. El Rey is my "heart horse". He's pure Falabella and a very special boy at that with his import heritage and exquisite lines. Just a love, 23 this year -- but his grandfather lived to be 42! So, he'll be here for his lifetime. So, I now have some pintos on the farm -- but my intent is to use them for pintaloosas as I fell in love with the blending of the appy and pinto genes.

Unfortunately this spring I lost the two fillies from my young pintaloosa stallion, "KC" (one a late term abortion and one a premature birth) and one baby was exceptionally exquisite and was my "dream filly". It's apparent he is throwing some beautiful pintaloosas, so I gave him 4 mares this year and just can't wait!

This is my KC -- a nice flashy pintaloosa stallion! The kind that would be awesome in the show ring, if I could afford it! AND he is an El Rey grandson!

kahlua1.jpg

Oh
default_drool5.gif
he is delicious!!!! I love his markings, that is what Gracie and I would love to have someday too out of our stud and a apply mare. I am so sorry about your losses. These minis love to break your heart as much as they steal it.

OK, why are the Lexi and Fancy regressing in their udder development. Gone is the filling in front of their udders and they are now flabby feeling. What the heck??? They look like they did 2 weeks ago!

Can you take a pic for us? Has the weather changed where you are? I had the same thing with one of mine and I think it might be due to the fact that the weather is so nice now so they are much more active, when they stand around just munching hay the udders swell more.

Fancy 316 days today. I swear her tummy has changed to more of a "V" or something, but her udder has gotten smaller and the edema in front has all but disappeared.

IMG_1479.JPG

IMG_1489.JPG

Don't worry about the udders. Both ladies are looking super! Fancy is definitely showing more "V" and Lexi's baby is making a move forward as well. Looks like Lexi's sides are really flattening out so she's doing GREAT things getting her little one in position! All looks well with both girls, I believe, and the udders will probably come along quickly. Both are looking great!!!!!!

Are they getting loose in the tailheads and the hoohas? Remember, with udders, they can fill and change very quickly. So, the foal movement and turning into position is very exciting. Add the looseness and elongation and they will be ready to go. I would bet the udders will quickly change in record time as foaling gets closer in the next little bit! They are really looking great!

/monthly_04_2012/post-22643-0-71525800-1333428156_thumb.jpg/monthly_04_2012/post-22643-0-68417100-1333427894_thumb.jpg
So the "V" that is always mentioned in miniatures is the foal turning or ??? Does this happen in the last week of pregnancy or ?? Is this the same thing that the large horses do when we say they have "dropped"? Usually happens about 24-36 hours before foaling in large horses? Their getting softer behind, but a few days ago Fancy actually looked much more elongated and soft then she has yesterday and today. Lexi is a tiny more softened, but not elongated. Lexi acts more miserable then Fancy does as far as sitting on things and rubbing her buns. Both are taking a lot longer to eat their hay but do graze well and eat their grain quickly. Their vulva is still pale inside as well.

The "v" is very noticeable in minis due to their size and lack of room inside. If you think about the size of a mini foal compared to it's mother it is much bigger than a full size foal to mother. Our big horse foals often stand under mum's tummy yet I haven't had a mini be able to do that yet. Anyway when the foal is in "take off" position the bottom sits in the middle of the mares tummy causing the "v" The foal can sit in this position for weeks or just a few hours before foaling.

good explanation Renee
default_smile.png

Sandy your girls are looking really good!

I so wish we could watch them for you! thank you for updating us so often.

see how the girls are looking in the morning, but it is very common for them to swell overnight and go down during the day when they are most active, when they bag up over night and stay up during the day you know you are getting closer.

Would love to know how your girls are looking in the morning.

good luck Sandy! we are here to support you!

Hi Ladies- The girls were busy bodies last night rubbing their buns on buckets and walls all night long it seemed. I do believe we have a race between Lexi and Fancy, anyone want to bet who goes first? This morning Both girls udders are pretty much the same as yesterday. Lexi's nipples are beginning to point a bit more straight, where as Fancy's are still smooched together. Fancy is doing a lot of tail raising & swishing and her hind end muscles are much softer than Lexi's. Then again, Lexi is much more round in her build then Fancy but still, her muscles feel pretty firm in comparison to Fancy. Both hoochies are about the same. They both are doing a lot of side biting, but that has been going on for weeks.

Thanks Eagle for explaining the "V" more in detail. I was hoping that it meant the same thing as when the big mares "dropped" and that they would foal within a few days. Mini girl watching is a full time job! Just so glad we invested in the Equipage this year, it does give me a peace of mind even if I am being woke up constantly cause the girls are triggering the alarm by scratching or sleeping flat.

The girls can get a "v" at least a few weeks before foaling as we saw with Megan's mare Laney, what is a clue that they are about to foal is when the "v" moves forward towards the front legs.

This isn't a very good pic but see the pinto mares "v" is quite central, it moved further forward and she foaled a week later
default_smile.png

group045.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is Laney on day 315 when we noticed she had 'V'ed and then on day 319 when she dropped and the 'V' is a little lower.

DSCN0576-1.jpg

I don't think this is the forward 'V' Renee is talking about though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone have a good central v and forward v pic on same horse? Please?? I think all us "newer" mommies would like to see a comparison. Just for example

Great pictures ladies! Thank you! But yes, I agree with LittleBittyBritches that I would love to see more "V" pics of a mare close to foaling or with the "forward V" Renee is talking about.

Both my girls were eager to go out in the sunshine and pasture today, but both seem very uncomfortable as far as wanting to rub their bodies (prob do to shedding) as well as rub their buns and sit on walls. Lots of tummy biting going on. Fancy really is feeling the pressure as her tail is staying more elevated than normal and lots of swishing episodes, but her udder is not filled much.

The weather here is a pain. One day raining and blowing and then the next mid 60's and sun shine. Today is t-shirt weather and then the next three days is supped to be 10-20 degrees cooler. Weather like this drives me nuts as I think it ruins the foaling preparation and makes mares go longer than they would if all the cards would stay lined up.

hmm I'm going to say Fancy will foal first. and I think she will go on the 14th April. and Lexi will go a few days after.... maybe the 17th
default_smile.png
there you go thats my guesses...

Fancy will have a lovely palmino filly with a blaze and four white socks
default_smile.png
hehe I can dream!

and Lexi will have a chestnut pinto colt. :D hehe have fun with that Gracie ;D

hmm I'm going to say Fancy will foal first. and I think she will go on the 14th April. and Lexi will go a few days after.... maybe the 17th
default_smile.png
there you go thats my guesses...

Fancy will have a lovely palmino filly with a blaze and four white socks
default_smile.png
hehe I can dream!

and Lexi will have a chestnut pinto colt. :D hehe have fun with that Gracie ;D
Oh man, can't they come any earlier
default_please.gif
??? My eyes are getting crossed from trying to sleep with one eye open and one closed at night
default_ohnoes.jpg

Fancy will be 320 days on Friday and Lexi on Saturday. You are right though, they still have a ways to go in the make up department. Fancy is just acting very miserable with a lot of tail action and belly kicking.

Lol I would love for them to be earlier!! Fancy should go tonight n Lexi tomorrow night lol but I honestly dnt think they will...
default_sad.png
I so wish I could help watch I'm from Australia n it's my daytime right now so I can watch while I'm at the office... Wish I could watch your girls
default_sad.png

Lol I would love for them to be earlier!! Fancy should go tonight n Lexi tomorrow night lol but I honestly dnt think they will...
default_sad.png
I so wish I could help watch I'm from Australia n it's my daytime right now so I can watch while I'm at the office... Wish I could watch your girls
default_sad.png
I wish you could watch too. Maybe one of these days we will get a high speed internet option besides a wireless card and can be on marestare. Knowing that people such as yourself were watching, would help me sleep. Well I hope you have a great day in beautiful Australia!

Latest posts

Back