Got a New Mare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlenehorse

Reaction score
I bought a new mare today and was wondering if someone can help me with information. She is a sorrel pinto with two blue eyes.

Goodjpg-6.jpg

She just had a foal weaned from her so she is a little chunky and needs her feet done.

I want to test her for the LWO gene and would like to test her for being homozygous. What do I need to do for these two test? Blood or hair samples? Where do I get the information to have these test preformed. Thanks for all the help.

Carlene

I had animal genetics incorporated test mine and they asked for hairs pulled with roots out of the mane. There are directions on their site. By the way, I love your mare! What is her name?

Last edited by a moderator:
Animal Genetics is awesome and fast. You need to pull hair and make sure you get the "root ball". I don't think I can post the link as I don't think they are a sponser here, but if you type in their name and put .us/ instead of .com you will have it.

Thanks so much I love her. Here name is:

Deer Havens Wendi Dae Dream.

Her grandsire is Brewers Classic Cabernet.

Carlene

congrats on your new girl. Her weight really doesn't look too bad for going into winter. Be cautious of trying to trim them down too much this time of year.

Once again,conratulations.

OH NO she is not bad on her weight just a little chunky. She will be on a diet when spring comes and just in time for show season. Here is a picture of her other side. Not alot of color but I love her.

Manejpg.jpg

Her pretty head.

head2jpg.jpg

Carlene

She is adorable!! I really like her too :)

Susan O.

She is a very pretty mare. :) Animal genetics is very quick............... I just had a horse tested - Pull mane hair and make sure it has the bulbs on it. Place in ziploc back with the horses name and info. Fill out the form and send it in.

Homozygous for the pinto gene. I am probably not saying it right. LOL OK I downloaded the form and have a question. The Homozygous (Tobiano) and the LWO Frame Overo. Is this the only two I should test for?

Carlene

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on your new mare!
default_smile.png

There is no test for it, but I can tell she carries Splash
default_smile.png
And Tobiano.

Frame (LWO) and Tobiano are good things to test for.

She is very nice. when the farrier comes out make sure he trims those heels down in the front ..they look very long to me. I like her markings, she looks sweet, like she has a good temperment. Have fun with her

Tobiano does not cause face markings. Frame and Splash do. Splash is famous for that! Especially "bottom heavy" white (lower face) and blue eyes.

Almost all of my horses are Tobiano, Splash and Sabino mixed.
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back