Gooey eyes

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrostyMeadows

Reaction score
Hi All, My 4mo old has gooey eyes. No other symptoms, no snotty nose or loss of appetite, just yucky eyes??? I hate to take him all the way to the Vet if it will just pass but I am paranoid since he is so young. I want to make sure he's OK. Is anyone else experiencing this? I'd appreciate any advice! Thanks!!
wacko.gif

Could it just be the flies/bugs bothering his eyes? Last year both of my mares got a bit teary/goopy (one has blue eyes, so more understandable...). I just took a warm/wet cloth and wiped them off after coming in for dins. Then I squirted/dripped some distilled water in their eyes. Cleared up in a day or two. I meant to get fly masks this year, but who knew that May 1st was too late to order (they came two weeks ago
default_rolleyes.gif
).

Edited to add: If the "goo" is yellow/green, it may be a sign of an infection and that's the time to get a vet out; you don't want to take chances with eyes.

Last edited by a moderator:
default_saludando.gif
he maybe getting sand in his eyes my mare with blue eyes allways has gooey eyes just clean them out

and if thay dont get any better or if thay get worse might have to take him to the vet could be junkdefitis dont no how to spell it

hope that helps

I had a 3 month old filly that had gooey eyes the morning after I had just fed new hay (baled 1 day before).I went back to using last years hay. Then her eyes were fine. I thought maybe it was a pollen or something in the newly baled hay.

Hope you figure it out for your little guy. If it continues, you should probably make a call to the vet

Some reasons for goopy eyes are allergies, sun irratation associated with pale eyes, excessive dry or dusty environment, sinus infection, and needing to be wormed.

It is not everyones practice, but many worm foals once a month for the first year because they are at higher risk for infestation.

I agree that yellow discharde means an infection of the eye or sinus cavity.

Latest posts

Back