Goodbye See The Light

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R3

Reaction score
Have been living out of state for a while now while family has been watching my horses in Oklahoma. This week I got the call I have been dreading. One of first minis I purchased, See the Light, hadn't come up for her breakfast. She was found laying in the shelter, still alive, hungry and thirsty, but unable to get up on her own, or even with help. I had to make the decision that is was the right time to let her go. It was hard, not being there myself, but fortunately my daughter, who is a good horse person, was there to take care of things. I called the Vet and he was able to come out that day. My daughter stayed with her, giving her feed, water, and a treat of alfalfa hay until it was time.

See the Light, Sissy, as she was called, was probably one of the few Foundation Oversize AMHA horses still around. She would have been 33 in February. She has been healthy, but the last few years, had started to look her age and have trouble keeping weight on. I was concerned about her last winter, and thought it might be 'time', but she held her own and got to enjoy another year. But, when I heard that she was unable to get up on her own, I had to make the hard decision. We might have been able to get her through this crisis, but I couldn't bear the idea that if this happened again, it might not be when she was in the shelter on a nice day, but out in the field during an ice-storm. I didn't want to take that chance and allow her exit to like that.

I bought Sissy when she was 18, and she had a foal for me every year until she was 23. She loved her babies. I thought that would be the end of her reproductive career, and allowed her to be a companion to a stallion that needed a friend. Then she gave me another foal at age 25. Since then she has been the companion to weanlings and our little dwarf. She was always good with other horses, but was never one to enjoy people or being confined, but we had an understanding. She will be missed.

She was a lucky girl to have had such a loving and compassionate mummy. There are no words that will help heal your heart right now so I will send you a big hug. (((((((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))))))

RIP Sissy, run free

What a sad day for you, Julie.
default_sad.png

So sorry for your loss. She sounds like a really special girl. I'm glad your daughter was able to be there with you. Godspeed Sissy.

My sincere sympathies for your loss. Farewell and God speed sweet Sissy.

((((HUGS))))

Blessings to you......Our old ones are so special and seem to know when it's time......I'm glad you were able to let her go with dignity and grace. I'm sure she thanks you and your daughter for that.

Julie, so very sorry to read about Sissy. I'm sure you did the right thing for her, but making those decisions are very difficult.

Rita

Thanks for sharing this heartbreaking and heartwarming story. Though we all hate to see them go, I always get a good feeling when I hear about a beloved animal who got to live that long and had, at least while with you, a great life! She got lucky....

A grand old girl who got lucky!

Mary

I'm glad that Jennifer was there for Sissy, I had been wondering about the old girl. She was quite a character. I'm sorry for your loss...

Latest posts

Back