Good Liberty Songs??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minishowgirl

Reaction score
Im going to try and compete in liberty at a local fun show next month. What are some good liberty songs?? I was thinking I Like To Move It but I see that a lot. Be as creative as you want! I wanted to do Im Sexy And I Know IT because it def. matches my gelding.
default_smile.png

The song does best when it matches your horses personality and natural movement. My 6yr old daughter picked our song, and it fit so perfectly. Good luck!

Awesome! I love liberty! If it was down to the 2 songs you listed, I would choose I Like To Move It! but i would get a remix, just to get a different version of the song.

Its always hard to pick the perfect song, which i havent done yet for any of my minis. Bentley's song was a remix of "Need You Now" by Lady Antebellum, cant remember who made the remix, but it goes fast. Jazzy's song was "Mambo No. 5" by Lou Bega, its a slower song than most, but its old so im changing his. Devil's is, "The Devil Went Down To Georgia" by The Charlie Daniels Band, it just looks cute haha. But i have seen my competitors use Adele songs, symphonys, Kelly Clarkson, and rock music, though its ear-deafning when electric guitars and people screaming come over the loud speeaker!

Hopefully some more people respond so i can see what everyone else thinks.
default_laugh.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I was thinking that one too. Ill look at some songs. Hes very upbeat and runs and does his big trot so something fast and bouncy. Maybe Im Walking On Sunshine?? Oh and any tips to showing liberty would be awesome too. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Most of the time, whenever you let them go, they go for the gate, unless yours is like my horse and stays in the back lol. Just make sure you or your helper person is prepared to shoo him from the gate, or make sure he keeps moving. Try to use the whole arena, and let him trot and canter, im sure his big trot will be pretty
default_smile.png
Practice your catch and release. Some people pat their chest, croutch down and call them, whatever works for you, i corner them, but this isnt the best way to show the judges your bond with the horse haha. The less you move, the better, i think i got a lower score because me and my cousin were running too much. Oh, make sure you actually hear the music before letting go. I learned that the hard way, i got placed last because i let him go without music. If your music doesnt work, they may use someone else's music or you can try again at the end of the class, so they tell me dont know if that true ;) I saaw a girl stop in the midddle of a song because the song stopped in the middle. whatever happens, make sure the horse is still moving untill they call time. Thats all i can think of, oh, and if your horse has a problem of sniffing everything, but a little vicks on inner edge of their nostrils, they cant smell anything. Just make sure its not too too much :D hope i could help

Love Liberty. I won't list the songs I've used; because as some have already said-it needs to fit your horse. I try to find something more original/unusual. Yes, soundtracks from movies-but go for the song that wasn't the theme and that is still riveting. The libraries usually rent out CD's. I have found this to be a great source. And on Amazon.com you can usually even hear the song. We have used Native American Indian music, Celtic, Manheim Steamroller and other New Age, try the Classics even-you'd be suprised what Mozart, Beethoven and more have!
default_thumbup.gif
Another good source for an upbeat, livewire horse is Ballroom Dance CD's-tangos, Paso Dobles, Jive, Swing, etc.!!!!! Wow!
default_xbud.gif
I need more horses! (yeah, right!! LOL!).
default_thud.gif

Im thinking I Like To Move It Move It. He is just a ball of energy and just runs and hops around. Im having trouble with the catch though. Sometimes he runs away and sometimes he runs up to me. Ill keep working on it I guess. If only I could use a treat!

Try not to use songs that others are using in your area. The judges will get bored and you might innocently offend another exhibitor.

I agree with Valshingle about not using songs that others in your area are. The judges and spectators get bored and no matter how great the song-it gets too repetitive. I Like To Move It has been done all over the place-for one.

As far as the catch- we, personally, use treats at home when we practice.
default_yes.gif
And at the shows they get a treat after they exit the ring area (I don't carry it on me though
default_hypocrite.gif
). Sometimes they still have TOO much fun though and the catch -LOL!!!
default_xreiter.gif
default_giveup.gif

Thats what ive been doing. And I dont think Im going to do that song. Im looking at others right now.
default_smile.png

Liberty class is judged on the union between handler and horse, on animation, gaits, and the catch, actually I don't like the therm the catch, as I ask the horse to work with me, and come to me. I practice alot at home, it takes two people and either a round pen or riding area. One person as the handler, the other to play and time the music. Yes at home when I practice I put a treat in my pocket. When the music is started I let my horse go and let them do their thing for just a few seconds, then I use my body language, no props, no helper to signal them to look at me, then I might change direction with body language our use my arms to signal an action, such as rearing. Sometimes, I'm not perfect, neither is my horse, she will stop to smell a droppng, if that happens I will use my body language to signal to move off, ame with the gate. When the music stops my horses are trained to look at me, and when I call them to come, no treats are offered until I pet them, put the halter on, and only in the practice ring, I don't even take treats into the show ring. I usually don't use a helper, but sometimes my grandson wants to go in with me, so I position him at the gate. The less movement on the handlers part the better. As for music I like disco, of some of the disney songs, like, Bibbity Boppity Boo, something that no one else uses and is not offensive.

scan0001.jpg

Thank you. Sometimes my gelding will be good and do as hes supposed too but today he was just interested in the grass along the fence. Im guessing its easier when no grass is involved.

Latest posts

Back