Good info on refeeding malnourished horses

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good info. It is an impulse to want to throw feed at them with a bad outcome.

We've been rehabbing the past month a couple of horses that were 'removed' somewhat voluntarily from a client. It's been a slow process on grass hay, and over the past few weeks we've gradually switched them to alfalfa, free choice grass hay and pasture. We've also made sure they were trimmed, dewormed (Safeguard the first time) and have access to fresh water, a salt block and mineral block 24/7. They're all making steady improvement.

This is my mare Celena that I received back Nov 16th and her normal weight for her. She was in the worst condition and I still fear at times she'll die, but at least she'll die here well cared for and not starving to death.

celena1%2011-16-10.jpg
celena%20n%20val%207-21-03%202.jpg

More Photos here of the others. Rescues The two buckskin fillies are now at Redbud Mini Ranch being rehabbed by Holly Bradshaw. The other five are with me.

omg those poor girls
default_sad.png
their feet are shocking too , Im so glad you have them home

I remember Mardi Grau from Genise. She was always a favorite of mine!

I can not believe what people will do to animals!
default_sad.png

Good info. It is an impulse to want to throw feed at them with a bad outcome.

We've been rehabbing the past month a couple of horses that were 'removed' somewhat voluntarily from a client. It's been a slow process on grass hay, and over the past few weeks we've gradually switched them to alfalfa, free choice grass hay and pasture. We've also made sure they were trimmed, dewormed (Safeguard the first time) and have access to fresh water, a salt block and mineral block 24/7. They're all making steady improvement.
Oh, Michelle, I'm so sorry you had to find them in this condition, but so glad you could bring them home to get them healthy again.

I looked at the album, the mare you posted about her sores... I bet they are bed sores, she has no extra flesh covering her hips to pad them when she lays down.

You'd be amazed at what they can come back from.

can't wait to see the fat, healthy, shiny pics in the spring.

Overfeeding is common but much less dangerous if you include a digestive-enzyme supplement. Many good-quality complete feeds also contain 3 or more different types of digestive enzymes right in the feed. That is why Nutrena Prime and Safe Choice are great rehabilitative feeds. I give Probios powder when I am adapting my horses to grain or higher amounts of grain. Makes all the difference! Gives a greater peace of mind.

Latest posts

Back