Good feed for minis and full-sized horses...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chelley

Reaction score
We have used different feeds off and on, from just the basic sweet feed to several different types of Omolene, etc. What do I really need to look for in a good feed? I am really confused about it all.

What part of the feed makes them act "hot" and hyped up when you are trying to ride and work with them? Is it the sweet aspect or the protein aspect that you need to watch? What is the criteria feed needs to have so that my horses get what they need and not act silly? Everyone seems to be against sweet feed, so what makes it bad?

Lately, I have been using Omolene Senior and Omolene 300, but they are so much more expensive and there does not seem to be a lot of difference protein wise from the standard sweet feed at our feed store...plus the Omolene Senior still seems to have a "sweet" aspect to it. Any suggestions or thoughts??

Thanks!

Usually, its the sweet (sugar and starch content) that makes them "hot". Protein is necessary for building muscle, and its expensive "energy" if you are over feeding it (the horse converts excess to fat or pees it out). Most horses only need about 10-12% protein in their diet (don't forget to include your hay when figuring total diet protein level), higher levels are needed by broodmares, foals, growing horses, and hard working horses.

You'll find as many different feed programs as you find horse owners, everyone has a program that works for them. I'm currently working on a new program as my current feed took anohter sky high jump in price and its just not in the budget any more. I did find a new feed to try, and so far so good, but we are only into it a couple weeks and only trying it on two mares (its an extruded feed, so looks like dark tan rice krispies).

Thanks for your input! I know a lot of old farmers around here that never feed more than hay and pasture but we have always grained them as well. I just have always been uncertain about what to feed and how much. So what is a good all around feed without the high sweet/starch aspect but sufficient protein to be used in combination with good prairie hay? Also, pellets, mixed grains....
default_wacko.png
...too many choices!!

Every person will eventually find what works for them will not work for someone else.

I stay away from all textured(sweet) feeds. I feed only pellets. I don't like the excess sugar that comes along with feeding sweet feeds.

If you want a good all-around feed without the extra starch/sugar, but with good protein, try Purina Strategy or Nutrena SafeChoice. I have fed both and have found that in my area the Nutrena is more consistent. But that could very possibly be different in your area.

As has been said, everyone has their own ideas about a feed program and no one program fits all. What I would suggest is that you determine what major brands (Purina, Nutrena, etc) are available in your area, find out who the nutritionist is for that feed, and talk with them. It is free and can be very helpful!!

I feed Nutrena Senior to my big horse who is 25 and has colic surgeries that removed half his small intestines. (I think it is what is keeping him alive). This is a 14% protein complete feed (alfalfa based) with probiotics for digestion, and lots of good things for older - or any age horse. The nutritionist I talked with felt this would be just fine for our young minis too, but that Nutrena Safe Choice was probably better for the broodmares. For one thing, the feeding directions included bred mares which the Senior feed did not. So all our minis (except the one that is insulin resistant -IR) get either of these feeds. Both are moderate in carbohydrates (called NSCs) such as sugar and molasses, which you want to avoid. Sugars can aggravate ulcers, add no nutrition, and are very bad for horses with metabolic conditions such as insulin resistance. Our IR mare gets a Purina feed that is very low in NSC.

Latest posts

Back