Good farrier in southern CA?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShaunaL

Reaction score
I have been unable to reach my regular farrier and my horses are now overdue. Can anyone recommend a good, gentle farrier in the LA/Ventura County area who is experienced with minis and reliable? I have 6 horses to do, 2 of which are showing next weekend so I'm in a bit of a hurry to find someone. Thank you!

Sorry, I think you are a little further north than me, so I don't really have anyone to recommend...

Hope you find someone, or maybe your regular farrier will call you back!

Andrea

Thanks Andrea, I know you would help if you could :) You've always been a great resource.

Did you try asking local vet clinics? They often have farriers they work with and maybe could refer one to you?

Whew! He called me, thank goodness. Thanks for the idea Lisa, I'll do that next time (and I'm sure there WILL be a next time). He does a fantastic job though

I was in a similar situation recently and I asked my vet clinic...They said that they cannot recommend someone, nor could they tell me someone I didn't want...It was a liability thing. L

I'm glad your farrier came through but if you are ever in need of one, I can highly recommend Ted Everton who does lots of minis. He lives in Ojai, where I live as well, and came highly recommended to me by my vet. He used to do all of Hilda Gurney's horses (and if you know anything about the dressage world, you'll know she is most picky) and now travels between Ojai-LA shoeing. He does my minis and full-sized horses. He's very, very, very patient with the little guys.

Hey Shauna, We found a guy James Hewko who has been great with the minis. Quick but does a nice job and has a gentle hand with the fidgity ones.

Also, what show are you going to? Is it the Pacific Coast show?

He used to do all of Hilda Gurney's horses (and if you know anything about the dressage world, you'll know she is most picky)
OMG I have not thought of her in years. I remember as a kid taking lessons at her barn
default_yes.gif

And you are right a vets office often will not tell you who they feel is a good or bad farrier however they usually have a list of local farriers and will give you several numbers

Last edited by a moderator:
Back