Good Day

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LAZY J MINIS

Reaction score
JUST HAD TO TELL ABOUT SOME GOOD NEWS. I HAD AN EARLY WAKE UP CALL.SOMEONE WAS KNOCKING ON MY DOOR ABOUT 5 THIS MORNING SAYING I HAD A HORSE OUT. I WENT OUT NO ONE WAS MISSING, EVERY ONE WHERE THEY BELONG, SO I WENT TO WHERE THEY SAID THE HORSE WAS ON THE ROAD,CAUGHT HIM AND BROUGHT HIM HOME. THE OWNERS CAME KNOCKING AROUND 8 LOOKING FOR HIM, HE BELONGS TO THEIR 7 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER AND HAD GOTTEN OUT. HE'S HOME AND BEING LOVED ON. NOT JUST GOOD NEWS ITS GREAT NEWS.

default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
Always love a happy ending. Thanks

Angie

I remember Bailey escaping last year and the fear that overtook me was incredible.

So glad the girl got horse back

I took my cell phone with me when I went to the hospital in December. About 4 days after my surgery Animal control calls me. I was frantic. They wanted to know if my horses were in. I am like, "How can I even get my horses home if they are out?". Even after they told me there were some big horses with them I am making frantic phone calls. "MOM, Are All My Horses IN? " I called my friend "Can you check to see if they are my horses?"My mom assured me the horses were fine. I am in a hospital bed and can't even get out of that bed and I am ready to have someone come spring me so "I" can check my own horses. My friend finally called me and told me where the horses had come from and "Yes, My Horses Were in and Fine." So when you were able to locate the owners of the little guy you found, you have no Idea (well, maybe you do) how relived and "SAVED" someone feels when their horse is found and returned in one peice. Mine wern't even out and I was frantic over it.

Is it something in the air? My neighbor called this evening--when she got home, 2 neighbor horses were loose and at her place. One was a stallion. She has a stallion, also, and she has a mare in season. I heard squealing earlier, but didnt' think too much about it. These are all big horses. I threw on my coat and grabbed gloves--learned my lesson the hard way on leading big horses without gloves--and drove over. She had haltered the gelding by the time I got there, but the stallion was running around the edges of her paddocks, driving everyone crazy. I led the haltered one toward his own pasture while she tried to catch the stallion. Fortunately, the stallion followed his gelding friend home and we got them shut up safely. They were all sweaty--don't know how long they'd been out--and very thirsty. Someone had not properly latched their gate. It was a good thing they stopped to chat with her horses, as there was nothing past them but wide open space. But it wouldn't have been a good thing if her fences had not been strong and electric...

2 weeks ago, I was heading to a Drs appt. and then to work, stopping to feed my 3 minis on the way there. I went into the paddock to give them their grain. Usually, they are all over me, wanting a little munch of grain before I put it in the feeder.
default_472.gif
This time, they decided to go through the inner paddock gate. I have a safety area where they have to go through another gate to really get out. They pushed the other gate open and went out.
default_oops.gif
I thought they would come back in as they had not eaten yet, but all the sudden, the 3 of them took off down the driveway.
default_xreiter.gif
Mind you, the temp was in the single digits, and I was dressed poorly to stay out for long, with no boots, gloves or hat. :Cold-Scared I jumped in my car and followed their path up the drive, down the road a block to a dirt road I drive them on. At that point, I caught up with them, passed them and they stopped...for a second. They took off off the road to a field and woods. I was just frantic as there was no way to follow them. I ran home, calling to cancel the appt as I sped along. I quickly through on some warmer clothes and boots and ran back to where I had last seen them, then back and forth along the roads and driveways in the area. There is so much wild area through there though, and I knew the only way to follow was on a snowmobile.
default_crybaby.gif
I was about hysterical by then,
default_gaah.gif
calling work to say that I had an emergency at home. I am sure they thought someone must have died or something.
default_no.gif
I called the high-school, and went to pick my kids up and look for them on the snowmobiles. I had already called the sheriffs dept in case someone called. They dressed warmly and started out on the snowmobile to hunt for the horses, while I drove back to the farm. about 1/2 mile from where this all started, 3 or 4 cars were driving my horses down the road!
default_cheeky-smiley-006.gif
default_cheekkiss.gif
I lept out of the car and grabbed the closest one, who was very ready to go home and started walking with him down the road. When the other 2 saw me, they turned around and walked back to me. The kids caught up with us by then, and we all led a horse back home. They were gone for 3 hrs, and it was the longest 3 hrs that I have had in a long time! None of them had so much as a scratch to show for it.
default_yes.gif
Needless to say, I am extremely careful about both gates now! I was very lucky.

So that is my worst escape story. Any others?

Barb

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm, don't know if you want to know mine. I have had a few due to my large horses being able to lift gates and rub open gates (clydesdale) but my worst was2 winters ago. I had bought a new little pregnant mare. We had alot of snow and there were drifts everywhere. Anyways, the day she was delivered she was really nervous as they usually are. Anyways, I wish I had left a halter on her or something. She went over a snowbank at about 10pm and got out. She was on our road where the drifts were too high for her to get off. Someone stopped at the house to say that one of our minis was out so I was out all night trying to catch her or lead her home or SOMETHING! Nothing worked. Got her in the yard a few times but couldn't get her to go through the gate into the paddock. Anyways, she ended up back out on the road and got hit by a truck at 6am. She was still alive when I got to her and the truck was in the ditch. She tried to get up for me but fell down. I got ahold of the vet who is my best friend and she track down a trailer to come pick my little girl up so we could get her to the clinic but she died on the side of the road in the arms of the guy that hit her while I was arranging it with my friend. My vet friend figures that the heavey preggy belly cause a rupture and she bled out inside. The guy driving the truck said he barely tapped her rump end. There were no scrapes or any thing and no damage to his truck. Not even any hair on his truck. My husband came and pulled him out of the ditch while I got my baby onto a calf sled so we could get her body home. So sad and I am SO much more careful now about snow banks and double latches on gates and stuff like that. Rest in Peace little Cameo.

Funny or scary the connection we (horse people) seem to have with our horses. I have to relate something that happened to a friend of mine. Her husband was in the hospital for surgery and while under the influence of some of those "good" drugs he began to toss and call out. Saying that his horse was out and he had to get him before he got into the road. To calm him she drove home only to find out that his horse had left the pasture but neighbors had caught him. All she had to do was bring him home.

Spooky, huh!

Latest posts

Back