Going on Vacation.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O So

Reaction score
This is kind of late to be asking but I have been tossing it back and forth on what to do and finally figured it would be best to ask here!

I am leaving to go on a 15 day cruise tomorrow! Hubby will be taking care of O So while I am gone. Basically all he will be doing is feeding and cleaning O So's feet for me. My son, when he has time, will try to lunge O So, but I doubt he will get to much exercise. My son has never lunged a horse and although I did try to teach him, I'm not sure how things will go.

With that being said and knowing O So will not get the exercise he is used to, should I have hubby cut down on O So's grain intake? Remember, O So needed some added protein when I first got him. I think now he is looking pretty good though. I have been feeding him 2 cups of Strategy a day. I think it came out to almost 2 lbs a day. I am thinking of cutting him down to 1 to 1 and half cups while I am away. But I want to keep his hay intake about the same. He no longer has pasture grass to graze on unless hubby takes him to the back lot. I don't think he will do that to often though! I pretty much free choice O So's hay. He always has some left when I feed at each feeding.

So what do you guy's think? Think it would hurt to cut back on the grain since he will be getting little or no exercise?

I don't think it would hurt to cut the grain while you're gone. Whenever I go on vacation, my horses don't get grain. It's not because of the exercise, it's because I don't want my dear caretakers to have to worry about measuring grain.

You can always up the hay a little bit to compensate, the horse will probably appreciate having something to do since he's not getting out to work.

Andrea

I do the same as Disneyhorse, for the same reason.

I slowly cut down leading up to this, rather than just cutting off the grain, then build it back up when I return. (I know...I'm paranoid.)

I doubt five days will make a huge difference in O So's weight loss/exercise regimen. I think I'd ask your son to play with him and give him some companionship rather than having him longe him. I think that would just be an exercise in frustration for both of them.

Thanks guys! Since I am asking so late and don't have time to slowly wean him off of it. I will just tell hubby to feed a cup in stead of 2.

It's actually 15 days that I will be gone, but I will tell my son to just play with him in stead of lunging! I don't know how much O So will play, but he might. I know he will chase me and the dog back and forth between the yards, so hopefully he will do the same with my son!
default_biggrin.png
We do kind of look alike! Well except for maybe 100 pounds! LOL

I would suggest having your son take O So for a walk instead of a chasing play. This isn't a good idea for any age horse - they can get carried away real quick, and someone could get hurt.

Wow - a 15 day cruise sounds heavenly - where are you going?

I would suggest having your son take O So for a walk instead of a chasing play. This isn't a good idea for any age horse - they can get carried away real quick, and someone could get hurt.

Wow - a 15 day cruise sounds heavenly - where are you going?
My Mom and I are going through the Panama Canal and will end up in Florida! We then catch a plane back to Sac! The very next day after we get back, early in the morning, I have to take O So to get gelded!! OUCH!

I don't think it would hurt to cut the grain while you're gone. Whenever I go on vacation, my horses don't get grain. It's not because of the exercise, it's because I don't want my dear caretakers to have to worry about measuring grain.
You can always up the hay a little bit to compensate, the horse will probably appreciate having something to do since he's not getting out to work.

Andrea
SAME HERE!

We feed good hay and I have the person/people that take care of the horses back at home give more hay than usual and split it into several feedings so that I know the horses are being checked on frequently but unless a certain horse has special needs I cut grain rations out entirely, the reason being our horses always ended up being fed more than they should because the caretakers are suckers for the begging and the big eyes and the "I'm starving and I need more food than that teeny weeny itty bitty scoop you were told to feed me". I agree with Susanne too

I doubt five days will make a huge difference in O So's weight loss/exercise regimen. I think I'd ask your son to play with him and give him some companionship rather than having him longe him. I think that would just be an exercise in frustration for both of them
I also don't like other people working my horses, especially when I am not around so I prefer to give them that time off as their own "vacation" of sorts. I'm all for them doing a little grooming, one-on-one attention, petting and handing out treats, but not working them.

I don't know that I would totally cut out the grain for that long. If you needed him to get more protein, 15 days without grain is a long time. I would cut down to 1/2 to 3/4 the amount. I have found that with winter coming, it is easier to take a few pounds off a horse than to put it back on. You can keep it simple by finding a container (I have a zillion different sizes in my house) that holds exactly what you want fed. That way, your husband just has to dip and feed--no guessing. A nice walk will be good for him whenever your son gets the chance. Enjoy your vacation because no matter what you decide for your little guy, I am sure he will be just fine and sooooo glad to see you when you get back.
default_yes.gif

I don't know that I would totally cut out the grain for that long. If you needed him to get more protein, 15 days without grain is a long time. I would cut down to 1/2 to 3/4 the amount. I have found that with winter coming, it is easier to take a few pounds off a horse than to put it back on. You can keep it simple by finding a container (I have a zillion different sizes in my house) that holds exactly what you want fed. That way, your husband just has to dip and feed--no guessing. A nice walk will be good for him whenever your son gets the chance. Enjoy your vacation because no matter what you decide for your little guy, I am sure he will be just fine and sooooo glad to see you when you get back.
yes.gif

Agree - and if you wanted to make it even simpler for hubby (or for your son if hubby happens to be unavailable at one feeding or so) you could pre-measure the amounts into individual ziplock baggies (this works good too if you're doing the daily wormer and can premeasure that into each baggie with the individual grain feeding). This way, they just pour and go. And gives you an idea how many baggies are left upon your return as to whether they've missed any feedings LOL This method always works for us - and works great when outside horses are visiting so we get their feed right for their owners as well.

Latest posts

Back