Going Away on Vacation

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mini~Lover

Reaction score
I am going away for 10 days for spring break. I want thinking of boarding my horses for 10 days, is the change of scenery to hard on them? will they think I left them for good? i have a big horse and my mini. they would have stalls and be turned out daily. the only reason I want to do this is because my mini has a fractured leg and colics very easily. Some days she will be in pain and need another dose of meds. the people that bored give meds and watch out for them, and know what to do for colic and pain, ect. if i left them home, my neibor would feed them, but im not sure what i would do if she needed a double dose of pain meds or coliced or something bad. any advice would be sooo great! thank you all soooo much. please pray for my mini's recovery, she has been to the vet tons and her fractured leg isnt getting better
sad.gif

Katie

I often used to take my mini to the local boarding stable, for short term stay or long term stay. I suggest that if it is to be their first time staying there, bring them out a few days to a week before you leave, so YOU can get them accustomed to the place, and have time to get them used to the new routine before leaving them solely in the hands of other people. You'll probably find they act no differently than they do at a horse show, or any other time they move to a new environment. After they have been to stay a few times, you should be able to drop them off the day before you leave, call to check in often, and otherwise enjoy your trip! I LOVED the ease of boarding as opposed to pet sitters, and I think its possible the biggest reason why I would never want to own more than a few horses at any given time.

Take them down and try it out, I bet you'll find they take to it like ducks to water.... just make sure you have their vaccinations done early, as some of them take a few weeks to peak. Consult your vet now in order to properly schedule any you might need. And remember to bring your own hay and feed, even if its included in the cost of board. Your own buckets is advisable as well. They won't be there long enough to get accustomed to the stables feed, so their own is best for them. If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me.

Thanks! you think this would be best because of my mini's fractured leg? i think it will work out nice. is it bad for my mini to be in a big horse stall with no windows for that long? what about when they take my horse to pasture, my mini would probably freak out not being able to see her. any ideas regarding that?

Thanks!!!

Katie

My first thought was to put the mini with the fractured leg in the hospital to board where he/she can get the meds required and hopefully be on the mend.

Marty said:
My first thought was to put the mini with the fractured leg in the hospital to board where he/she can get the meds required and hopefully be on the mend.
535066[/snapback]

This was my thought as well, unless the people at the boarding stable are fully prepared and able to care for her? I would at least let the vet that treated her know that you will be out of town and give the boarding stable people permission to call the vet if there were any problems at all.

One thing that may help your mini to adjust being in a stall where she can't see out is putting up a panel on the doorway so she can see out. We do this when we go to Nationals and the horses LOVE it.

Good luck, I hope all goes well for you and your horses!

Back