Goat Questions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kootenay

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just recently acquired a goat, and I have a couple of questions.

Long story short---our neighbor/landlord yesterday sent his two cows off to "freezer camp", and the goat they own was all alone over there. Since i figured it would be lonely, I obtained permission to take it into my care for the winter. She is an older goat that looks to be possibly a cross between a LaMancha and a Oberhasli .

In my infinite wisdom--(ha-ha), I decided to catch her at night by flashlight armed with a piece of bread and a leadrope--(you had to be there). I think I ended up getting drug around on my back more than anything
default_laugh.png
. She is now residing in a spare stall in my barn.

I was wondering though---What is the best dewormer available in Canada?--and is it hard to trim their feet. Her feet are pretty darn long, and she walks funny because of it. Also, i don't think she has ever been dewormed in her life.

She sure is a cutie though--and oh so vocal. She's pretty darn spooked from having to witness her cow friends being put down though, and any loud noises set her off into a major tizzy. Hopefully I can calm her down, and keep her from going back to that side of the fence.

I'll get some pictures when the light is a bit better.
default_smile.png

as i am from the south. we had goats and we wormed ours with safe Gaurd as far as trimming their hoofs my father in law showed us how to do it. he used his pocket knife and a box blade but he was dern good at it since they showed their dairy goats so it only took him a minute or 2. google it... or if you have some goat people around you see when they are going to trim their goats hoofs and watch...

worming use safe gaurd and them ivmec we found that to work really good

hope this helps out

safe gaurd we got the ones for the horses and ivmec for cows and it did do its job

Thank you for the information. I'll head down to the feed store and see what they have there for dewormer. Also as I think of it, I do remember my farrier saying that he trimmed a goat once or twice. He's due for a visit here anyways.

We'll see
default_smile.png

I was just wondering if you have equine friends for her to pal around with. I know that "an only goat is a lonely goat." When we got our first girly goat, she was very needy and vocal until she had a friend.

Trimming hooves is relatively easy, but you'll want a helper if she hasn't been trimmed before.

As for the best wormers in Canada..I have no idea..I get mine from the vet and I forget what it's called. Sorry no help there.

I can imagine the goat rodeo you had trying to catch her with a rope and flashlight.
default_biggrin.png
One of my goats is a nubian wether and boy is he strong. It's a good thing he's lazy and good natured or he'd drag me everywhere.

I was just wondering if you have equine friends for her to pal around with. I know that "an only goat is a lonely goat." When we got our first girly goat, she was very needy and vocal until she had a friend.
I have three horses at the moment, so she has friends to pal around with once I introduce her. They seem to be a little standoffish towards her when they see her across the aisle in the stall though.

---Oh--and the goat rodeo
default_laugh.png
. I never did forget how strong they are, and it was pretty funny once I got past the fact that I was covered in mud
default_laugh.png
. Hubby even took a spill once. All in all, she learned to lead pretty quickly though.

default_smile.png

I deworm my girl with a liquid Ivermectin. It can be used on cattle, goats, sheep, pigs, you name it. It is blue in color. You just measure out how much per weight and then pour it on their backs. As far as the trimming goes I have watched it done and the worst part is keeping them still for it. I haven't done Peatries yet but when I do she is going to be quite the handful lol
default_rolleyes.gif
It didn't look hard at all though. You just cut off all the excess until you get down to their actual foot.

Last edited by a moderator:
But don't ever cut the sole or the pad on the bottm of the foot.

Oh my I just went and looked at Peatrie's feet and they need to be trimmed BADLY! I think I will need hubby's help for this one. She is not very cooperative when it comes to doing things that aren't her idea. How do you guys hold them still?

Maybe you can locate some goat raisers in your area, or if you have an agriculture ofice that can advise about wormers. Vets around here advise to never use a pour-on for a goats back because of their nervous system. They could go into shock and maybe die. Even though we are using a "pour-on" (for cows) it's given orally.

Brandi*,

if your goat has horns hold her by that if not then have your hubby to hold her head in between his legs unless you have a goat stand.or cross tie her in a stall..

missie

it's been a long time since i had goats but i distinctly remember that they cannot have a certain ingredient that is commonly in horse feed...copper? not sure which it is but copper comes to mind. if you're feeding her the same grain as you're feeding your horses, check on that.

also, watch that she doesn't chew your horses' tails. i had one nubian nanny that eventually had to be separated because she was making LUNCH out of my mare's tail!

copper is in horse food. they cant not have that.

also check your feed dealer out and they might be able to help you out on the feed we used to feed GOAT Chow and it was good

She doesn't have horns but I will have hubby help me. Do they have halter's for goats???

I am not meaning to hijack your thread
default_rolleyes.gif
You just brought up some very good questions that got me thinking
default_wink.png
I hope you don't mind me asking questions too
default_smile.png

Brandi*,if your goat has horns hold her by that if not then have your hubby to hold her head in between his legs unless you have a goat stand.or cross tie her in a stall..

missie

copper is in horse food. they cant not have that. also check your feed dealer out and they might be able to help you out on the feed we used to feed GOAT Chow and it was good
Goats can have copper. They actually NEED it in there diet. I found this website that talks alot about it. http://www.jackmauldin.com/health/copper_deficiency.htm

Sheep can't have copper, it will kill them.

They do have halters for goats. There much easier to use since there not pulling you with all of there body weight.

Good luck with your new goat!

Yes, goats NEEEEEEEED copper (it's sheep that are copper intolerant). If your goat dosen't get enough copper then you'll wind up with all sorts of difficulties!

As for worming.......most people don't fecal test so they don't know for sure what works and doesn't work in your area. Your best bet is to check with breeders in your area who have quality stock. If their goats all look fabulous then it's pretty likely that they've got them on a worming schedule that works. There are a lot of wormer resistances depending on where you are located so someone in Texas can't say for sure what will work in your area.

Another excellent source for goat information (they even include med dosing charts etc) is www.dairygoatinfo.com

i am with you all on the coppper thing it is not a need thing it is a must. you dont need to be feeding a feed that is made for horses you do need to be feeding a feed that is made for goats.because it might have something in it that horse feed dont have. i think someone said Goat chow that is one of the best feeds out there for goats.

just my 2 cents

Latest posts

Back