giving your own vaccines

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobinRTrueJoy

Reaction score
Money is tight and its time to vaccinate every horse again. I have been debating giving my own this year.

1. Is it really more cost effective to give your own?

2. Haven't found West nile vaccine... can I get it from a catalog?

3. What about Rabies? I can't get it in NJ. Guess I have to call the vet anyway.

Your thoughts please?

Vaccinating yourself has risks. Talk to your vet about those risks before deciding to go ahead and handle it yourself. The risks can vary from minor swelling to alaphalactic shock and death. Yes, they are very, very rare, but you need to be aware of them. Your vet can handle emergency measures to keep them from dying. Your vet can also protect themselves from accidents through malpractice insurance. You should NEVER, EVER vaccinate other people's horses; IF something happens, you are liable for malpractice and that would bankrupt you. You don't save that much money... generally $10 per shot plus vet call. You still have to have the vet out for Rabies and Coggins, and in some states West Nile as well.

NEVER give vaccines without your vet's knowledge. Switching to doing your own vaccines can create some very hard feelings, and when you need your vet most they may consider you a second class client, and give preference to others. Vaccines bring a lot of income for vets. Talking to your vet can avoid those hard feelings and hopefully get you the training you need to do it safely.

Last edited by a moderator:
It saves me A LOT of money to do my own shots. Check out this site for "all" the options in WNV vaccination:

Horse Warehouse

Everyone has their own opinions about it. My vet is happy with me doing my own shots and has helped show me how. It's my personal feeling that most people who've had horses for years usually do their own shots and it's pretty important that everyone know HOW to give a shot (ask your vet but this report -- How To Give Horses Shots -- is helpful, too)..

I have almost 20 horses and have give lots of shots over the years, never with any issues other than a couple sore necks (I know give shots in the rump).

Last edited by a moderator:
I have always saved a lot of money doing my own shots, even though I still buy them all from the vet. The cost of the farm call saved is a big bonus, and since I buy them from the vet they know I am giving my own and don't mind at all. That said, where I just have the one horse vaccination time is also a good time to have yearly checkup so a lot of years I do get the vet out to vaccinate... often it is the only time in a year I see the vet as I've been blessed with few health problems over 10 years of owning him. (1 bad colic emergency call, one minor colic emergency call, and one sinus cold non emergency call. No injuries.) So people need to take that into consideration as well. Its good to have a vet that knows your horse when they are well.

I always give my own vaccinations. In fact, my vet expects me to! I order them online and check the prices at a variety of veterinary supply companies. I save a lot of $$$$ doing this. Yes, there are several companies that sell WN. As for Rabies, some states are limited on sales of that to the general public.

My vet charges approximately $45 for the basic shots. I can give those myself, MUCH cheaper (we have 9 head of horses here). I then have him out to do the Rabies (in PA, vets are the only ones that can administer them, and you need a certificate proving they had it at most of the shows), Coggins, and just as a checkup. I also make sure to stock up on anything I may be out of (Banamine, Bute, SMZ tablets, etc.).

If I only had one or two horses, I'd have the vet give them.

I do all of my own except WN. My vet has no issues with this and in fact I would take issue with a vet who would be angry that I chose to do so.

He gets more then enough buisness from my own farm as well as referrals I give him and really doesnt want to waste his time doing something he knows I can do myself.

However he also gives me plenty of meds and has had me run IV fluids from home(he put in the catheter) when need be but he also knows that I dont medicate without discussing with him and knows I will tell him when I am uncomfortable doing something myself

We have a mutual respect for eachother and a great working relationhip

Oh since I feel WN is the one my horses have the most chance of having an adverse reaction to that is why he does that so that if there is anything that goes wrong the company can not say it was not done properly most will not compensate you in any way if you are the one giving the vaccinces not a vet.

My vet is also a personal friend, I know there are no hard feeling, plus she knows how I feel about using Fort Dodge products (which is what she uses) I have 40 animals that I give shots too, its saves me a bundle. I just ordered the Encevac 4 (by Intervet) it costs me for a 10 dose vile right around $90.00, or to do all my horses under $400.00 I dont do the west nile shot. For her to come out and do the equivilant of the Fort Dodge shot it is $25.00 per shot, and my bill would be around $1,000.00 so definitely a big saving by doing it yourself. But, you definitley do have to know how to give a shot. I agree with Lisa, on her post. I would have issues with my vet too, and I give her PLENTY of very good referrals, plus I also help my vet do shot/coggins runs at times. Corinne

Ask your vet for recommendations and instruction on how to administer. Our vet (a GREAT VET) always suggests where to buy vaccines and wormers, etc.

Our vet is a surgeon and a very busy guy. He doesn't need to be bogged down by routine stuff that we can save a farm call and money for.

We always buy a big vial and split the cost for doses, as we don't have a lot of horses. I usually have 2-4 horses, and I would rather pay $10 for a vaccine than $75!!! It really is that much more here!

We can get the $80 vial (plus $10 shipping) and that makes it $10 for each horse. To buy the pack separate with syringe at the local feed store, it is $23 per horse. And the vet, with the farm call and vaccine, is $75. So you see how much you can save!

Andrea

When I first got started in the minis I had the vet vaccinate. Only had 3 at the time. He had been my vet for quite some time for my cats and dogs. He was the one that suggested that I could vaccinate the horses myself. He actually took the time to explain what areas the injection sould be given and what areas to avoid.

With 65+ horses it would cost me a fortune to have a vet come vaccinate. I have been doing my own vaccinating for 12 years now and have never had a bad reaction. Of course, as soon as I say this, watch something happen the next time I give it! LOL
default_whistling.gif
:

We give all of our vaccinations. We purchase some online and some from the vet. Definately saves $$
default_yes.gif
:

i've never actually asked my vet what he thinks about me doing my own.. HOWEVER when i've been on the waiting list for THREE YEARS to get vaccinated and routine stuff done at my farm... i'd say he probably doesn't really care!! lol They are good about comming on the few emergencys i've had and if i need something done i just call and they say "bring them over" but i know one of the vets told me they are so bogged down they don't put shots on the front burner... so i'm guessing they don't mind when people do those themselves. they get plenty of money out of me on coggins, rabies ect

NOW rabies is a whole nother story! makes me very angry. we used to be able to do our own here in maine but that stopped several years ago..now you have to have a vet administer it.. GUESS how much the dog rabies shots were when i called a few weeks ago to have one dog done?!?! one office was $35 and the other was almost FIFTY dollars!!! sorry but when the rabies epidemic is so bad up here and they are charging THAT much for a $2.00 shot i could order out of a catalog if it wasn't for this stupid law.. makes me very upset!

Latest posts

Back