Giardia - any experiences?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeanH

Reaction score
One of my GSD puppies that I sold to a family in Colorado has had recurring issues with giardia. The pup just finished with a regiment of 10 days metronidazole, and he also had the vaccine for it. Plus they are giving him probiotics. He tested positive today again.

Any one have any other ideas?

Jean

Oh yikes, this is contagious- its a microscopic parasite. My daughter and a neighbor got some pups from a 'breeder' - almost a mill, that all had it. Even people can get it from in contaminated water and the 'cysts' can live for months outside the host. This is usually caused by a dirty environment- do you know the place where they came from? But, can also be picked up in a stream, lake or whatever.

I THINK they had the dogs on two drugs if I remember right... Albenazole and Metronidazole (Flagyl).

They do recommend another treatment after one week if they are still testing bad, but I will tell you that some animals are a 'carrier' for life. ALL dog pooh will have to be immediately cleaned up and discarded safely. This can cross between other mammals and people, so be VERY careful!!

This stuff is nasty and can even spread through humans via a swimming pool, hot tub, etc.. and not washing hands after medicating and handling the dogs infected - and the 'cysts' live in water for months. The actual bug though, can not.

Sometimes this can be hard to get rid of, and any animals exposed need to be treated (if they were in with other dogs, etc...) Oh dear, I would not wish this on anyone! :no:

Oh crap Jean

I never even knew about this before until I did some research. Wow, sounds nasty

I found this link

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-giardia.htm

and it has other links attached that may help

Just don't tell me you are blameing yourself for this!

I keep telling Dan to stay the heck out of the stupid ponds around here

It doesnt always mean bad or dirty enviorments although that is a common cause. Sometimes the moms can pass it on to the pups even though she is not showing signs of it (at least that is what I have been told)

Heys

Giardia is actually a pretty common parasite. It is water borne and most dogs we see get it after going swimming or drink out of puddles where other dogs/wildlife have been. It is zoonotic - can transfer to any species ( humans too!) Metronidazole is the most common pharmaceutical used but there are others like albendazole or fenbendazole. Good clean up is essential otherwise they re infect themselves. There is a giardia vaccine which may help however its efficacy is still a bit uncertain.

Cheers

Masako

edited to add: it actually will not be passed from mom to pups via trans placental or trans mammary routes. However if the pups are playing near or where mom poops they may get it via oral fecal route.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I remember correctly, this is what my "rescue" dog Hoss had when I got him. He was very, very sick when i got him. He was up for adopt. threw petfinder, and the foster home he was at was terrible. I knew the minute I walked threw her door, that all of the animals there were not properly taken care of. Hoss was 4 wks(she said 7 wks, just small and had a cold) when I took him home. I thought he was going to die on me that first night.(I got back to late to take him to the vets, and just did the wait til morning game) He had servre runs, vomiting, fever, lethargic, bloated. I think he had everything imagainble wrong with him. Upper resp. infect, pneomonia, and giardia. For the life of me I can't remember the names of his meds, but was on antibs. until 3 months, and the vet finally thought he was healthy enough to start his vacc at age 1..(All along they didn't think he would make it) I didn't give up on my poor little guy. Now he is three and is over 80 lbs and a big moose.. By the way, the "foster mom" was put out of business and had charges pressed(My vet did all the paper work to help get her) and the adopt. place is no longer on petfinder!!

Giardia, also known as "beaver fever", is a water based parasite. Many kennels have this thing in it and sell their dogs with the disease and only a good vet will catch it. Many times it is mistaken for coccidia. My Fia (bought in a kennel :no: ) had coccidia, giardia and bordatella. I spent a whole lotta $$ to get her well. The meds listed are the meds we used. It takes time to kill this one. Poop patrol is essential. Any and all foul water sources should be dumped or kept away from the animals. It can be transmitted from dog to dog to I kept a spray bottle of bleach water to spray on each poop site after pick up. Be sure to get the right meds, use them for about 4 days longer than usual if this is persisitant, maybe even longer depending on the infestation. A good food with absolutely NO corn is needed when better, a mix of boiled hamburger (venison, beef, chiken, turkey) and white rice will help the intestines heal from the inflammation. Good luck. Feel free to PM, I know way more about this that I want to.

My sister got it from swimming in a pond (she told me it was ok to post that!) and it was hard to get rid of it. I remember the doctor saying it was more common than most people think, and that you could also pass it back and forth between humans and dogs. Well, wouldn't you know it, her dog got it too......he went in the pond with her, but it didn't show up on him for about 6 weeks. He was treated with Albon and Flagyl.

Hope this helps,

Alicia

Thanks everyone! The owner of the puppy is actively working this, but I'm trying to get as much information as I can to try to help them.

No, Marty, I do not feel responsible for the cause and the family is not placing any blame, but I do feel responsible as the breeder of the puppy to help these people any way I can.

Jean

Oh Jean, I thought it was a puppy you GOT from somebody..... that will show me to read in a hurry.

I had a friend get this one time and she was SO SICK for weeks and it was very hard to get rid of.

Ah, yes, Albon and Flagyl were what they gave my daughter and neighbor on their pups from that place. The female pup my daughter had just suddenly had gotten so sick, skinny, vomiting, etc.. as described above. She did bounce back quite well, but it took a while and she is somewhat small. Seems like she just never did catch up on the growth thing, and stayed a bit on the small side.

Hope the pup does ok.... I guess I have never known anyone or animal to get it here from a pond or stream, etc.. cause we dont have any!!

The Dr. thought my friend got it from a restaurant who did not wash their vegetables!! She had not been swimming or any place where you would expect to get it, and she had no pets, etc....

oh my gosh Dimimore! I cant believe a vet made the mistake between Giardia and Isospora ( aka coccidia)

Im a vet tech student and I have looked at tons of fecals and isospora and Giardia have alot of different morphology, Giardia is actually hard to get on a fecal floatation unless there is a huge infection. The best way to recover giardia is a zinc sulfate centrifugual floatation or fecal smear, so there is even a difference in recovery methods as well! Coccidia infections are often mixed with Giardia but they are still easy to differentiate!

lol im shocked to hear that...eeek!
default_wacko.png
:

Cheers

Masako

[SIZE=14pt]Jean, if the other puppies haven't tested positive for it and you know the mother doesn't have it, then most likely the contamination is at the puppy's new home, right? I wouldn't feel responsible because these parasites can happen even at the cleanest of kennels...[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Shannon
default_smile.png
[/SIZE]

Latest posts

Back