Getting him to stretch down on the lunge and a side reins ?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WashingtonCowgirl

Reaction score
I'm very much used to stock horses, so this might not be the case with Spanky, as he is more refined "Arab" type, but I'm used to horses who will frequently stretch their neck down and out, round their back and get under themselves with their hindquarters. Spanky doesn't do this. The ONLY way I've been able to get him to is to work him in the front yard, where there is lots of longish grass, but then he isn't thinking about working anymore, but eating (typical boy
default_rolleyes.gif
) Also, he came with side reins for his harness, but they seem to short, even on the longest setting. He has a pretty awful frame and I'd like to get him to work with his hindquarters under him, but that is becoming easier said then done
default_smile.png

Do you know, if he drove or drives in breed shows, what catergory he drives in? That would help alot.

I was lunging a horse last night and he too was eating grass.

Is it safe to put a grazing muzzle on a horse while lunging if there is no area suitable without grass? (ie. No dry lots that wouldn't cause the horse to stumble....)

Stretching down comes with relaxation. Have you tried to double longe him (two lines)? I would not use side reins that are too short.

No, you don't need a muzzle. You need to teach your horse that eating is not acceptable when working. This is started on the lead line. NEVER allow a horse to eat while you are walking him. This just creates a tug-of-war. I have even tunked horses in the nose with my foot to keep them from eating. They figure it out pretty quick as they are wiggling their ouchy nose. Once they have that down, then you can let them out farther on the longe. If they go to eat, use the longe whip and drive them forward while flicking the line. If they continue, you haven't addresss it well enough on the lead. Go back and make sure they know what is expected during work time.

Myrna

Sliding side reins encourage stretching the back and powering from the hindquarters. You can easily make them yourself.

Heike Bean's Carriage Driving: A Logical Approach Through Dressage has great info on how to set up, how to use, and the desired results.

Latest posts

Back