Getting colt to eat beet plup?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T.C. Miniature Horse Farm

Reaction score
Hey ya'll,ever have any problems getting your horses to eat? On my colt M+M he was LOVING beet pulp mixed with his feed he'd eat it all up,every time he was fed,and it was soaked then to, for the past couple of days he will leave the majority of his beetpulp in his bowl,and eat just the grain,so I tried taking and mixing it up,well now he won't eat none of it,however when I just poured a cup of grain he would,so evidently it is the beet pulp,any suggestions on getting him to eat it again? Thanks you guys!

P.S. He is still in love with that feed that Ms. Erica gave him from Sam's Town,we have since then started feeding it to him,and will feed it to the others as winter comes along! THANKS AGAIN! :aktion033:

To be honest with you, i think it was quite an accomplishment to get him to be eating it in the first place! I've tried beet pulp & could never get any of my horses to eat it. Mixed or not, they wouldn't eat it. I know others have great luck with it & swear by it. But, mine won't touch it...........
default_unsure.png
:

When my colt wouldn't eat the beet pulp I shredded carrot's and apples in my food processor and mixed it in. Worked like a charm and not I don't have to add it anymore.

:aktion033: Ok,I'll try the apples,and things! I hear so many people use it,but gosh none of mine like it besides him(WELL DID) so its hard to get em' to eat it,,thanks again!

I mixed mine with gatorade. 1 part gatorade with 3 parts water. 3 cups of gatorade to 1 cup dry beet pulp. My new little guy went from being a picky eater to LOOK OUT here comes mom with the food.

I mixed mine with gatorade. 1 part gatorade with 3 parts water. 3 cups of gatorade to 1 cup dry beet pulp. My new little guy went from being a picky eater to LOOK OUT here comes mom with the food.

We have used beetpulp since the day we brought minis home. All our horses eat it mixed with their feed and finish every last bit of it... Soaking the pulp with iced tea, apple juice, etc., will give it a different flavor. Are you using pellets or shredded beetpulp? Sometimes that will make a difference. Has the colt been on beetpulp while he was eating with Mom? I maybe would cut his back a little and when he gets to eating again, then increase it. We also mix dengie with our feed, not sure if you can get that or not. Good Luck..

Latest posts

Back