Getting another dog

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DancinWithDiamonds

Reaction score
I recently had to put down my beloved Springer Spaniel, Wally, due to cancer. He was in surgery, and it looked like we would be able to remove to tumour, but he started to bleed, and unfortunately there was nothing the vets could do. He was only 3. I am absolutely devastated, and cannot talk about the situation without breaking down. I am concerned about out other dog. We've always had 3 dogs, we lost one due to old age (heart attack while barking at nothing, something he loved doing!) in Decemeber, and now with Wally gone, our 5 year old mix breed, Bella, is absolutely devastated. She won't move from the front door window, where she waited for us to come back with Wally from his regular trips to the vet. It's been 3 days, and she's the same. I am open to getting another dog, but don't want to rush into getting something unsuitable just to "keep Bella company". Does anyone have experience with this situation? It is just breaking my heart to watch Bella, but I don't to to feel like I am trying to "replace" Wally, because it will just never happen. I would appreciate any input you all would have. Thanks

I am so sorry for your loss, and 2, in such a short time span. If you feel up to it, I think it would do both you, and your other dog, a world of good, and healing of hearts, to welcome another puppy to your family. Although our beloved pets can never be replaced, we can make room in our broken heart to start building memories of a new friend. Good Luck with whatever you decide, and again, I am so sorry for the loss of Wally.

That IS rough........losing two so close together.

MY suggestion is listen to your heart. Visit your local humane society and shelter(s). If you see a dog that pulls at you, you'll know it in your gut, that that dog is supposed to be your's.

MA

l don't have any answer but l know how you must feel right now. We lost both our outside dogs who were 12 within weeks of each other 2 years ago. Trouble died at the end of June and Odie died beside there food dish about 2 weeks later she wasn't sick but just pineing for Trouble and never moved anymore just slept a lot after she was gone. We kind of expected it they were both 6 weeks old when we got them and never lived without each other. But it was still pretty bad for us when she went. We got another couple of pups after that but they didn't work out for us here for different reasons and now we have a chesapee who's going on a year who is pretty good with the house dog and the minis and cats and likes me a lot follows me constandly everywhere. l don't think this new guy will ever take the place of the other 2 and sometimes think we shouldn't have a dog anymore period as for me it stirs up memories of my old dogs when this one does something familiar l remember them doing..

If you feel up to it, I think it would do both you, and your other dog, a world of good, and healing of hearts, to welcome another puppy to your family. Although our beloved pets can never be replaced, we can make room in our broken heart to start building memories of a new friend
I agree with what Mona and Miniv said. Do not rush and buy the first one that comes along, you will know which one will be right for your other dog and you a new friend, not replacing an old loved one.

Don't laugh, but I'd sit down with your remaining dog and explain what's happened.

Maybe she will or will not understand, but I'm guessing she'll at least be more in tune with you and she with her.

This may give you the time to make the right decision for all of you.

I'm betting she'll be eager to welcome a new member, but you all need time to get over your grief.

I tried to get myself a new house kitty about 10 months after my Nootka was killed, and it hasn't worked. The other family members have bonded with her, but she and I are rather distant, and I am not sure why, but I realize it will be a special set of circumstances that delivers to me another little friend/loved one like her. She was an "only" so there was no four legged mourner for me to worry over, only my two year old, who still asks about her from time to time.

Best wishes to you....

Liz M.

So far in my life, nothing hurts worse than loosing a dog.

However, I do think that a new puppy really does help your heart mend. I think it's pretty important for it to be a puppy, though, not an adult dog. We have taken in 2 adult dogs, and love them very much. But a new puppy will grow up and just meld better to your ways and you will have a lot more influence in his / her behaviors. A puppy also really does bond better to you than when you take in an adult dog in my experience.

I am so sorry about Wally. We have two dogs now, Winston and Willow, who we're so attached to. It hurts to even think about when they are gone. And Wally was so young! My heart goes out to you!

One of my friends had to have a dog put down. The vet sent them home and told them to spend the night together, special time. Then the next day, she was to take BOTH dogs in so that the surviving dog was there when the other "left". She said it helps in the grieving process.

I'm facing that now. My hounddog is hanging in but today isn't so good. I'm afraid she is at the end.

I'm with Nila, talk to the other dog. Tell her what happened and explain things. You'd be amazed at what they really do understand.

Sorry you lost your friends though.

We are in the same situation. I too lost 2 dogs in a short period. Someone stole my GSD black male at the beginning of the year and just last week Maggie the BC got hit by a car. We two always had three dogs. My husband and I decided to get a new dog but were not going to get the first dog that came up. I didn't want a BC or a GSD because I thought it would be to hard. We were looking for Shelties but came across these well breed BC puppies. We talked to my 4 year old and showed him pictures of both breeds and he chose the BC. We drove almost 3 hours to see these puppies. We came home with a new female BC puppy. It has help alot for everyone including the dogs. Dylan my GSD is finally eatting again and Diva my Doxie is over joyed she has someone to play with. So for me and my family it was the right thing to do. Good luck

Latest posts

Back