gestation

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ponypassion

Reaction score
[SIZE=12pt]I looked on 2 charts to see when my mini mares would be due. Mini chart says 13 days earlier than a full sized mare. Which is it?[/SIZE]

I usually give my mares an 11 month 'due date', but minis can have full term foals at less than 300 days gestation to over 350 days gestation. I normally start checking for udder development around 280 days and go from there.

We record the mare's 340 due date, but we also list day 300 and day 320.

We have had mares have live foals in the 280's and up to 350 days.

I prefer our pregnant mares in a barn stall by day 300.

Some even earlier depending on their past foaling history.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just plan on starting to pay close attention to my mares beginning on day 300. However, I have one mare that always goes over 340 days. This year I also have two maiden mares, and one of them is at 299 days today. I'm already keeping a closer eye on her. I have a new mare that I've been told usually goes under 320. Most of mine have always gone 320 to 340.

I always used 323 days as my target due date, and most foaled around that time. I began watching very closely and mares in the stall at night at 300 days. That said, I had a normal foal at 303 days, and at 350 days, and I was confident of their breeding dates! I think most mini breeders believe one cannot use the full size horse chart with confidence.

Latest posts

Back