gestation lengths

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucky lodge

Reaction score
default_saludando.gif
can every one that no;s or can remember the length of all there mares gestation...

would be very helpfull

Twinkles: 345, paddock bred so can't be sure of date though.

Rivain: 328, exact breeding date known.

Ashanti: to foal but I doubt she'll hit 336 at this rate!

mine have gone from 323 - 345 ( 345 was the year that we paddock bred so it could be wrong)

default_saludando.gif
so my mare is sitting on day 312 so she could foal soon.. ive caluclator her for 342 days to be due on 2 october

so i could be wrong........

I normally calculate 330 so I would say a couple of weeks and you will see your new baby
aktion033.gif

Lex's first, in '09, was 372
default_wacko.png
This year she went to a respectable 321 days
default_biggrin.png

I have had them foal at 299 and 303 days and nothing longer than 330. Of course mostly dead, but full term.

286 (live birth) to 363 days. Ultrasounded mares and dates are correct.

The earlier the birth, the more important it was to be there at the birth. Certainly the early ones were premies, but alive and lived. Some with little to no warning signs.

I have a mare that consistently foals early. Her earliest was at 289 and her latest was 305...all of her babies have been healthy and show no evidence of being a premature. And that comes from the vet who was called out in a panic the first time she foaled at 305. She is a tiny mare being only 29 inches tall and I have heard that the smaller mares don't always go as long as the taller mares.

I have never had a mare go past 320 days. But that is just my experience with over the past 6 years, with 5 mares.

default_saludando.gif
WOW there all over the place so you can never really set a date

just have to watch them from 300 days onwards

Almost all of my mares and going back through my grandparent's and great grandparent's records 1970's-now, have gone 330-340 days on average. We have had some go up to 370 days and some foal as early as 310 days, but never earlier than that unless the foals was premature.

Over the years we've had full term live healthy babies born from 304 days to 355 days. We hand breed, so the dates are correct. Just gotta watch those girls for signs!

Latest posts

Back