Gestation Length again!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wiccanz

Reaction score
I have a mare at 283 days, last year she foaled successfully at 302 days, a lovely full-term filly.

I have a sneaking suspicion she may go earlier this year. She's most uncomfortable, does a lot of lying down, last night she had the beginnings of an udder (as opposed to a thickening of breast tissue). Tonight it's down again. I still think she will most likely hold out to @ 300 days, but it pays to be ready.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

What is the earliest gestation-length viable foal you have had born, that didn't need human intervention to live/feed normally?

My earliest was a filly at 299 days last year, was a lightning fast delivery and no problems at all. The same mare foaled at 311 days this year, a perfectly healthy filly.

I've had others before day 300 too (that were hearty and great) but my earliest one was 292 days. When she was not quite out yet (being born) her mom lifted her hind leg to see the baby and the filly reached for the bag and was trying to nurse before she was all the way out! Oh yeah, healthy as could be! That filly is the palomino in my avatar.

It must be your mare's natural gestation to foal so "early".

287 days but I was NOT happy about it!!

The foals was fine, however.

I do know what you are going through as I am sure many do- I had a mare this year who I was SURE was going to foal at 270 onwards but she crept on a day at a time.

Was fully bagged and bursting at the seams by day 290 and I even put in my diary that she was gonna BLOW!

She held on and held on and held on and FINALLY made 304, kept me up three nights in a row and had the foal at nine in the MORNING two hours after I had turned her out- I was on my way to a nice hot bath and I just happened to check her........bath went cold, mare had a perfect black filly!!
default_yes.gif
:

Thanks for your reassurances!

Now that I've posted this, she'll probably hold out over 300 days! :eek:

The anticipation is killing me. We love her first 2 foals, this 3rd one is by an Ivory Champagne boy, who is of similar breeding and build to the sire of the first 2 (now gelded), hence choosing him as a mate for her.

Here's hoping for a healthy colt/filly, I'll be sure and post once it hits the ground! :bgrin

Latest posts

Back