Georgia horse farms

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

susanminiponygirl

Reaction score
Considering a move to south Georgia. Can anyone in that area give me some feedback on their area, likes/dislikes? We'd like to invest in 20+acres for a future move and would like to know more about the different counties fairly close to the Florida line. Any problems with fescue grass? Mud season? Too wet, too dry? Availability of farriers and vets, veterinary hospital? Local clubs and shows? Tell all!

I don't live there now - and have not lived in the southern part of Georgia (I have lived in the northern and central portion). You might ask - why am I commenting? just because :new_shocked: :bgrin

I have 4 comments about the southern section of the state:

1) FIRE ANTS

2) HURRICANES

3) HOT HOT HOT and MUGGY MUGGY MUGGY

4) BEAUTIFUL!

I agree with the above comments especially the fire ants and heat. Don't forgot about the snakes and alligators near the water. We lived for 2 years in the town of Bainbridge (Decatur county) which is about 45 minutes north of Tallahassee. This would have been back in 1996 - 1998 so alot may have changed but not the general area. I've heard that you get used to the heat and humidity but I never did and my horses didn't while we were there. It got so hot that when they would come in from the pasture you had to hose the salt off their backs. There were lots of shows especially in Tallahasee FL, Marianna FL, Perry GA and Dothan AL. There was also a local saddle club that put on summer shows with a championship show at the end of the year. You could just about ride outside all year round. In our town we didn't have a proper equine vet. Mainly used the small vet for meds, etc and had to use an equine vet from Tallahassee for anything more than routine. The barn I was at had several farriers who seemed fine. Quite a bit of sand in the fields. Mainly fed Bermuda grass. The folks at the barn were always replacing wood fencing because the heat/humidity caused the boards to rot.

Hmmmm....after reading what I wrote I guess I didn't make it sound very nice. I guess it's all in what you want and what you are used to. I personally like to have all the seasons so that is why we settled further north. We met some really nice folks when we lived there but were quite ready to leave.

Hope that helps,

kareng

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, we have lived in central florida for many years and I'm a florida native, so fire ants, heat/humidity and hurricanes have been a way of life. Would be interested in something around Valdosta, Waycross, Alma, simply to stay fairly close to family. And that would allow us to attend the florida shows also.

Where we live now is nice but taxes and population are creeping up. Just thought maybe a more rural area would allow us to purchase more acreage. Land is getting very expensive here and with the growth, don't want to find the farm boxed in by development. Just trying to look ahead.........
default_smile.png

Well, there's always South Carolina
default_yes.gif
: We'd love to have you venture this way!!! I haven't lived in Georgia, just traveled through, but I imagine it's very similar to SC except we have sand and I think they have red clay, but we do in some areas too!

Best wishes with your decisions on moving! :bgrin

Latest posts

Back