Geldings VS Mares (and what about Stallions?)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is your preference for doing activities with a miniature horse, a mare, a gelding, or a stallio

• Total voters

Magic

Reaction score
The evolving debate on the "Newbies Wake Up" thread inspired me to start a new thread about preferences for Geldings versus Mares, and include Stallions as well if they are the preferred sex of mini. We've done this before, of course, but it's been a while I think.

I realize that the miniature world needs more promotion of geldings, and I'd like to point out that back when I started (almost 20 years ago) there weren't very many geldings at all, even at Nationals, so they are getting more and more popular.
default_aktion033.gif

For myself, I have had both a great time showing and working with mares, and a not-so-great time. There was a mare I had that had talent galore but I'd bought her as a past broodmare and she wasn't all that pleased about "working" and she let me know it. She earned a Hall of Fame in Country Pleasure Driving and the judges raved about her, but it was a challenge every day. My mare AMayZing, on the other hand, did everything she possibly could to please me, up to and including learning to read my mind, lol! And I've had experiences in between with mares.

Geldings, they have been much more consistent, and IMO you can't beat a gelding for a reliable partner in showing or what-have-you. I prefer not to show stallions but I'll be showing one this year, he's such a good boy though that I'm sure it will be a pleasant experience.

What about you?

Last edited by a moderator:
For me, I like "the boys", both our two stallions and our geldings.

My short list of favorites includes Destiny, DunIT, Bacardi, Sunny, and Derby (both stallions and some "most special" to me geldings).

I do love our mares, but individually, at this time, none of them are "the one" I'm the most emotionally attached to. Plus, when it comes to just getting out there and having fun, you cannot beat a good gelding imo.

I'm not sure if it's just my perception or my horses, but I feel like the stallions and geldings are the most personable, affectionate and interested in people. They're also the biggest characters and hams!

First off I love em' all! I have never owned a mini mare but have been around some great ones! So I have nothing against them
default_smile.png
Yet I prefer my boys...I have 2 wonderful geldings and a stallion and I adore them! Sox is my newest gelding and he has the most amazing personality you could ask for in a mini. Plus he has the looks too but that's just a bonus
default_wub.png
Now my little stud on the other hand...he has a great personality but he also has his naughty moments too. He will be gelded this summer so hopefully some of those bratty issues pass
default_laugh.png

Again I can't say anything bad about mares, but my first pick would always be a gelding or stallion.
default_yes.gif

Some of this is from another post, but it applies.

I have had gelding, mares, colts and stallions. Each individual was just that! An individual.

That said, when I'm shopping, I'm looking at geldings and mares. I don't really breed so I don't need the hormones and hassle of a stallion.

My current ratio is 3:1 with mares in the lead, but I'm hoping to add another gelding this year. I also have an unknown on the way.
default_wub.png

Some horses are worth MORE then their weight in gold! Not a gender.
default_wink.png

FOR ME BOYS I FIND THEM TO BE MUCH CALMER AND MORE LOVING THAN MARES ..WELL MINE ARE ANYWAY LOL

I
default_yes.gif

mares all the way!! i hate male horses, i've never had one i got along with until i got Toby, and even then we still have some fights that make me wonder why i keep him. i've had 4 other mini geldings in my life, all were terrible and one nearly killed me when i was little. i almost got out of miniatures because of all those terrible little brats! luckily i didnt and got my girls! they are the best horses i've ever had and wouldnt trade them for anything. mares are more than baby makers, i wish people would realize that.

Like Jill I adore geldings and stallions. But then I love mares too. Yeah I have a problem LOL.

But when I think of the confidence builder Kyle's gelding Buckeye Magical Notice was, well you just couldnt put a price on what he did for Kyle. We eventually sold him and his owners adore him. But I will never forget what he did for my son
default_smile.png
When Kyle was very young he was constantly showing young mares and let me tell you they can be quite the handful. It was so fun for him to show a gelding and not have the hormone issues.

I like them all personally but I think geldings get along with almost everybody. They truly are the best show horses you can have. However I know their are those special mares and stallions out there that just love to show and have a awesome personality. Mares can be sure hormonal at times and of course its harder to take a stallion and show but I would love to find a stallion out there and have absoulte fun with. We need to see more mares out there continue to show instead of going straight to the breeding shed once they turn 3 or even 2 and we need to really promote those geldings and I think both registeries are doing pretty good job at that.

I like showing geldings as you dont have to watch where you are standing and they are more interested in you than the horse beside you.

I dont have much experience though as I would like to get a filly to show.

We currently have 4 (6 as of tomorrow afternoon) fillies/mares. Our setup is not one that would allow for a stallion right now. We could not adequately separate a stallion as we would need to for the safety of everyone. Also, we're not ready for the breeding aspect of this adventure so to avoid any "oops" issues, we will continue to avoid stallion ownership for now.

My husband has a "hangup" about geldings and them being "worthless". I'm working on him and he's coming around. Heck, 2.5 years ago, if you would have told me he would have even given owning ANY horse a second thought? I would have told you that you were crazy and obviously didn't know my husband AT ALL.
default_laugh.png

Have I mentioned it was HIS fault we will have 6 as of tomorrow?
default_yes.gif
default_laugh.png
default_aktion033.gif

I said "mare" and it has little to do with their ability to make babies and more to do with my horse experience! My very first horse, back in 1960, was a mare and can anyone ever forget their first horse?? I showed her in 4-H and kept her all through high school and college. Then I had a half Arab mare that I absolutely adored. And our mini mare Princess is about the best "all around gelding" you could want. In between I had another mare, a gelding I never really bonded with, a stallion I had gelded, and an Arab gelding someone gave me. Nothing came close to the bond I had with those mares until Target, who is a gelding. In my experience the mares had the stronger personalities (except for Target), and that is very important to me.

This thread and the "Newbies" one has inspired me to geld one of our two year old that I have been on the fence about for awhile!
default_aktion033.gif
He is not perfect for breeding and I want to show him in the gelding classes at the shows!

Some horses are worth MORE then their weight in gold! Not a gender.
default_wink.png

THIS is SO true!
default_yes.gif
And it also depends on how personalities mesh; there's a mare that drove me crazy but her new owner adores her.

This thread and the "Newbies" one has inspired me to geld one of our two year old that I have been on the fence about for awhile!
default_aktion033.gif
He is not perfect for breeding and I want to show him in the gelding classes at the shows!

Good for you! I'm sure that you will LOVE showing and working with your "new" gelding!
default_aktion033.gif

All my life with big horses, it was geldings all the way! I only rode one mare and she was a BEAST!

Mini geldings are great! I love them a lot! Both our driving horses are geldings
default_wub.png

But I have a soft spot for the stallions! I understand them and know how to work with them. MY boys give the best kisses! I find that colts are sweet and the fillies are the ones with 'tude!
default_laugh.png

Ah my beloved mares!
default_wub.png
Mine are very spirited but are real sweeties too! I know where they're coming from and why they feel as they do. They LOVE me and trust me. After all, I'm a grumpy ol mare myself!
default_biggrin.png

To me, each horse is a "people" with their own thoughts, feelings & personalities, no matter what sex they are!

I enjoy working with all of them. But I think, if I could have one do it all show horse, it'd be a gelding!

Well, I just went Jegray21 one better: since I posted on here less than 2 hours ago I scheduled a gelding party for our 2010 colt for TOMORROW!! I haven't even told him yet- he thinks he is just getting some shots.

Geldings all the way. I've never been caught between two geldings fighting, but several times between MARES fighting, one even backing up and firing at the mare I was leading out of the field, who cares if *I* was in the way! And these mares have been together for YEARS in some instances!

As for me, I love it if it breathes. I'm kind of a pathetic bleeding heart. I say "I want a horse like that," quite a lot. Or you know, insert any species there.

Once at a horse show while I was teaching at a kids summer camp, I said something along the lines of the above.... and immediately a chorus rang out behind me from my boss and about 5 of the camp kids, "Alex wants EVERYTHING!!" Bit ridiculous.
default_whistling.gif

Currently I've got 7 mares and 2 boys (1 gelding, 1 stallion), but that's just the way it worked out, no particular reason.

Oy, with the hassle it takes to keep a stallion it is surprising how many people do it. Yesterday mine broke 1 gate, jumped through another, ran under a fence, and let himself in with my big mare. Luckily she wasn't in heat, and she helped me round him up, but his pen renovations are going to have to look like we're keeping King Kong in there!! I am having gelding thoughts...

My first horse is a mare and I have owned her for 16 years. For a few years I would only consider geldings and all my geldings were very easy going. Then my father bought 2 mini mares and a mini stallion. I had to train them to drive and I fell back in love with mares. Both my mini mares have a great work ethic, quick learners and really smart. They are crabby sometimes but so am I so it all works out.
default_yes.gif
I currently don't own any geldings but I am considering gelding the stallion I have.

Ok, so I voted other...

I had saddle horses before I had the minis, and with the saddle horses I much preferred my geldings, the mares I had were gritchy; but my geldings have been just awesome.

I got into minis and have more girls than boys, and so far, my mini mares are so sweet and loving, not a gritchy one in the bunch. I have 4 boys; two are awesome to be around and so loving (just like my saddle geldings), one is old and set in his ways (not mean or anything, just set) and one is young and new to the farm, so he'll probably come around.

I have had stallions, mares and geldings. I absolutely adored my first stallion. He was up for everything - and we did everything and he did it well! My first mare became one of my best friends and I loved her dearly. That said, when it came time to re-acquire minis in my life, I specifically went looking for geldings. I love geldings in my riding horses and I was looking for horses for my girls to show and knew I didn't want to mess with the hormones. I have been very blessed to find three special geldings and I love them all. They are so affectionate and willing to please - and I know each is an individual and if I had a mare here I would've selected her on her personality, so I would love her too.

But I voted gelding since that is what I specifically set out to purchase and that is what I have!

Barbara

Latest posts

Back