Gelding those colts.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, I've been showing horses since 1987, and minis since 1999. This is just my opinion and you can take it or leave it.

1. AMHA I believe they cater to the trainers, yes they bring in a lot of horses, but in this day and time with the economy being the way it is, not everyone can afford a trainer. They need to expand the AOTE program into more height divisions like they do with open. Reason: To encourage new exhibitors, and give more true ametuers a chance to suceed and want to continue showing. Fees are so high it is discouraging for a new person to pay and not even place. Nothing against trainers, I've used them, but in this econony it would help the ametuer trainers to continue.

2. Both registries need to cater to the new people, either offer a class for beginners or novice in lets say their first three years of showing, and include performance. In my opinion we need new people.

3.AMHR needs to start a AOTE division, I used to love to show AMHR as we could place but now the trainers are taking over in our area and it is great feeling when you beat a trainer, but we've been showing for years. It discourages the new people.

4. More breeding classes offered at the local shows. Seems they only offer limited classes for breeders, such as own bred and shown by, or produce of Dam, etc. at the area shows, not everyone can attend at that time.

5. This one I'm not even sure of until we get a standard, and now we are just a height registry, but someone to inspect stallions and certify if they are correct, such as not toeing out in front, etc. at least make sure they are conformationaly correct before breeding quality can be submitted.

I personally love geldings and as I've said before a good stallion makes a great gelding.

If you want to flame me OK, I've got my suit on, but on the other hand I would love to hear your thoughts on what I posted, just please be kind. Oh! I am loving this debate.
1) TOTALLY agree. With the economy as tough as it is both registries, really, should take a good look at fees and such. I found this year I only went to two AMHR shows and NO AMHA shows as I just couldn't afford it. Of course, the surprise medical bills helped with that.

2) Maybe have a Novice Halter, any age or sex, and Novice Driving. I know the Fort Worth Stock Show has a novice halter class and it's pretty full. Only two classes to add. Or how about a Mentor class where a novice who wants to try to show can sign up and an experienced exhibitor "volunteers" to help the novice during the class. Volunteer can't touch the horse but give side-by-side help right out in the ring, which can be super intimidating to newbies. It would be so comforting to have someone right there with you showing you the ropes.

3) I would be doing handstands in the aisles if AMHR introduced an AOTE division. (Probably not a pretty sight, though....
default_biggrin.png
) Some shows just seem to be placed on who is on the OTHER end of the lead or reins and not the horse itself. An AOTE division would give those of us who do everything ourselves a chance to play with our PEERS. Especially with those horses who spend their lives at the trainers and then are handed off right before the class and gathered up right after.

4) Our local Area show had those and there was never anyone in them.

5) This could be a problem as many of our Mini people are not local to any place to get this done, and the BYBs don't care and wouldn't go anyway. Yes, it's something that should be done but probably will never be feasible. Plus, see #1 above- i.e., more $$$ out of pocket.

Geldings rule!
default_aktion033.gif
I see a pretty horse and go "Oh, wow! Oh wait, it's a mare...." Not that I don't LIKE mares, I LOVES my geldings!!

I also have been begging for an AOTE ASPC/AMHR class.

We also tried it at a show here (non rated class) and no one entered. But that is not surprising. Whenever you add something new 1- you have to get the word out 2 it always takes time when you add something new. I also think people do not like to show in unrated classes.

I wholeheartedly agree that we need to attract new people!

The super gelding program payouts last year were small. Again new things take time and if people do not enter there will not be big payouts. The winners are also being presented with trophies (that were donated by committee members) at convention etc.

I too would love to see more jackpot,incentive classes. But right now no way will you get the registry to pay for them. Memberships and registrations are down. The office has cut hours etc.

So you say get sponsors? We tried that with the super gelding program. Had some really neat prizes lined up from sponsors. Then we found they cannot take a tax credit for their donation (because aspc/amhr is not for profit not non profit) They withdrew their donations.

It is very hard to get sponsors to donate valuable items (or prize money) if they cannot take a tax deduction.

So while it may seem like starting incentives and programs is easy; it absolutely isnt. And we can all sit here all day and say what we want, but unless people get involved and put in the hours of work it takes - we will all still be sitting here typing.

I wholeheartedly agree that we need to attract new people!
This is getting a bit away form the original topic but still relevant. I totally agree we need to attract new people and I think a good start is people who already own and show "big" horses. My proposal is based on the Open Competitive Activities Program that the Pinto Association offers. http://www.pinto.org/ocap.html Scroll down to end to see the Miniature classes involved. These are classes offered at EXISTING Open shows - that you get added by contacting the show managers and then getting approval from PtHA. (So no cost to registry). There are a limited number of classes and will likely not attract trainers but might attract people who are watching their pennies and want to try showing in their own backyards. And in the process, they will be showing the "big" horse people what minis can do and how much fun they are to show. Participants in the program submit a form, signed by the Show Secretary, verifying the number of entries and the placing so points can be tracked.

I think we need to think outside the box as times get more and more challenging.

I'm sorry, but don't understand why you think it is straying from the posted topic, most new horse people buy geldings. Why, they are easier to train, not hormonal moody mares, and stallions are not for the novice. These people, and this is just my opinion, buy a gelding and hope they can compete at the local shows and maybe move on. Hopefully these same people will be the future of the industry and become the breeders, trainers of tomorrow. As a breeder I always try to sway the newbes to geldings for just that reason. WE all know times are tough right now and seems like everything takes a lot of money even the organizations are suffering. On the other hand if we don't do more to get new people into our passion, showing and breeding what is our future? I'm an oldster and could only afford one sanctioned show this year due to health reasons and money, otherwise we would have shown more, if nothing else to promote our breeding, and also to help the organizations, but sometimes the fees are too steep. Then add into that gas and stalling and time away from work. We have been taking a new kid with us to all our shows, she is very interested in showing one of our geldings, but her family just can't afford any more money lay out. On my last post I should have clarified showing geldings and didn't, sorry. Some in the mini horse world won't even consider a gelding worthy, and that is a shame, because geldings are perfect for beginners, novices, the old, and the young, not to forget the handicapped.

Latest posts

Back