Gelding The Stallions && Stopped Breeding

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We all, I hope, try to do what is right. Personally, I can name quite a number of breeders that I do not want to see "quit". It's been so exciting to see outstanding foal crops year after year and improvement upon which you'd almost doubt could be improved. People who have vision, the right horses, and a sense of responsibility to their animals are behind why some of us have outstanding horses to call their own.

Plenty of people who do breed minis probably shouldn't be, but there are some outstanding programs out there, and a number of those breeders are members of LB. I personally appreciate their contributions to the breed and the insights they've been willing to share on horsemanship here on this forum.

Well said. Obviously, not everyone should just quit breeding... Thank Goodness!!!

We are new to the minis but not to horses (35+ years). We began the mini journey when my daughter who was very timid with the big horses wanted a couple minis. Being the performance horse exhibitor and breeder that I am and have been, we purchased well bred show quality minis, two young stallions, one of which we promptly gelded. That was 2 years ago and since then we added several mares. 2011 we were expecting our first foals (2). We ended up losing a mare & foal from dystocia and then lost the other foal. My daughter and I were ready to throw in the towel, but many supportive mini horse people talked us in to hanging in there and then a couple people stepped in giving Gracie a mini filly and then another person gave Gracie 3 very well bred former show mares that had been pasture ornaments for a few years, no longer being bred. We have (we hope) 6 mares expected to foal in 2012. I have been around the block enough to know the current state of the economy and the effect that is has had on everything. We are NOT breeding to make money. We are breeding because of our love for horses and to try and produce great minded, flashy, show prospects. Gracie plans to show her foals next year as weanlings and keep a couple and sell a couple. We will see what the mares throw out of her stallion and maybe thin our mare herd if the cross is not great or sell and replace with other mares. We are keeping our eyes wide open.

I am not ready to stop breeding either, despite all the horrible luck we have had. Because of our bad luck, in 5 years of breeding we have only added one mini - a gelding - to the population and we found him a home.

As others have said, we didn't jump into this hastily - I have had horses for over 50 years, college degrees in animal science and animal disease, and we did TONS of research before we bought any minis. Our herd is small because we have been VERY selective. We know conformation, understand bloodlines, and appreciate horses that can DO something besides look pretty (although we like that too!). Our horses have been competitive in about every class/category you can think of at AMHA, AMHR, Pinto and American Driving Society events. Our goal is still to produce an all around - halter & performance - horse that will improve the breed (Pinto minis). We think we have a stallion and mares that can do this. We do not expect to market to any big farms or even outside New England, but hope that someone in our area will like what we produce. In our goal to improve the breed, we are prepared to give our foals away if we think that is in THEIR best interest and will accomplish our aim.

By the way, we have already decided that we will NOT breed any mares next year, no matter what. That will give us more time to train the ones we have - even if we don't get any live foals next year. And if next year is like the first five, we likely will give up.

I do have more pictures if you want to see him, and in your opinion do you think I should take a chance and send him to a trainer to teach him to drive? We don't drive. Thanks. Sorry, not to highjack the thread, please forgive me.
No need to apologize. I'd love to see more pix. If you want, start a thread with his pictures in it!

I'm no expert about driving. There are some very saavy folks in the driving forum here who can offer lots of advice. Pretty sure they'll tell you that if you haven't driven, you should send him for training and get lessons yourself. You have a lucky grandson!

I'm not saying that everyone should put a halt on breeding and geld all the boys in sight but I do believe that if people would LIMIT their breedings and foal numbers that in turn, foal prices would increase, stallion prices would increase and you WOULDN'T see VERY NICE quality horses going for $150+
default_aktion033.gif

Alot does have to do with the economy but it seems everyone who owns a miniature mare, also owns a stallion and seems to see the "need" to breed them because (and I quote) "what else can you do with them?"
default_no.gif
It seems in every other breed, the geldings are prized and highly desired, but if you have a miniature gelding, it seems you can't even GIVE them away! I am now working at a barn and this lady, who doesn't even breed miniature horses, refuses to geld a stallion she just recently bought because she is afraid that it will make him (and once again I quote) "worthless". He's a very nice Buckeroo bred solid silver bay who would make a fantastic gelding but she thinks that by taking away his breeding capabilities that he's now worthless
default_new_shocked.gif

Just wanted to shed some light on the situation I feel the "mini world" is involved in. I would love to see a day when miniature geldings are going for top prices and everyone wants atleast two!!
default_wub.png

I agree with you JNK. Too many people feel that if a mini is not able to reproduce (never mind whether it SHOULD reproduce) then it has no purpose. We are among those who have chosen to geld our very nice young stallions, not because they are not stallion material but because we want to use them and that is easier without hormones to contend with. We have learned we not only don't enjoy selling our horses but often times we can barely tolerate the buyers who want to know, "Is he broke so the kids ride him?"(this asked of a 29" horse who was only 2 at the time), or, "Will he respond to my saddle horse mare, I want to know when she comes in, so I'll just let him live with her. He's too small to breed her anyway", "I'll just fence off a corner of the corral with some wire and the mini can live there."(the mini in question was a mature stallion and tore thro the wire to reach the large horse mares in the first 1/2 hr of being unloaded and hurt himself, all the buyer could say was how poorly behaved the horse was). And my all time favorite from someone who has never had a miniature, "I'm going to get some mares and a stallion and turn them out on my pasture to keep it trimmed. They'll love it, they can live a natural life there and I'll just bring in the foals when they are yearlings and sell them." Yup, I've heard some really distressing plans and in the end I find I worry too much to be a breeder. So I am going to try to do my part to help people locally understand just how many things CAN be done with a mini gelding, I want to help others recognize their value. I believe I can contribute more to the miniature horse 'breed' by doing that than I ever would have breeding, I'll leave that to others who can deal with all its issues be they physical, financial or emotional.

As I've said before, I 'm not breeding right now becuase of personal, money, and health reasons, thats just me, believe me if everyone quite breeding we couldn't continue to improve the breed. Others have the resources to keep it up, but the economy has not been kind to some of us. I too would like to see geldings come up in our world as they have in other breed organizations. If I have a good colt I know he will make agreat gelding, as will some of my good stallions, and they will be happier running in a fild with other geldings. Plus as some of us get up in age they are easier to train and show, and for our grand children as well, as I don't allow my grand kids to love and lead stallions, but they play with the geldings all the time. My one grand son loves to show at the breed shows and 4-H and I have another that is only three that loves the little horses so I'm sure he will want to show soon as well. Love the geldings!

So I am going to try to do my part to help people locally understand just how many things CAN be done with a mini gelding, I want to help others recognize their value. I believe I can contribute more to the miniature horse 'breed' by doing that than I ever would have breeding, I'll leave that to others who can deal with all its issues be they physical, financial or emotional.

LOVE this!
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah And I SO completely agree! We only own geldings and they are perfect for what we want.

Barbara

All very good points.

The market is pathetic and letting horses go for "give away" prices, are in a lot of cases, setting your horse up for a not so bright future.

We are seeing very good foals, especially colts, being let go for very low prices just because "we need room"!!!!

We are just starting to get the look we want in our foals. We do not breed heavily at all, no more than four foals a year. (We have 15 mares...) However, we are gelding one stallion so he can show as a youth horse, and one stallion we haven't used for a few years but he is content as he is so there really isn't a reason to geld him right now. We have the facilities to keep several stallions so it's really no big deal.

Plus, I JUST bought a new colt from a Forum member this week!
default_aktion033.gif
a friend saw my Facebook post on him and said he'd make nice babies with chrome in a few years. Not THIS one. He's gonna be my new show GELDING as soon as the beaners are there!!

I don't think I'll be breeding anymore. There is virtually no market around here. The three foals I have had were originally intended to be kept but the first two went to great homes (Briar is a mascot for a therapeutic riding club and teaches the little ones how to groom, pick out hooves, etc.. Levi (Lex's second foal) will be gelded ASAP and be my stunning gelding
default_biggrin.png
I've had great experiences breeding and no issues and healthy, happy foals. I'm quitting while I'm ahead
default_biggrin.png

Just wondering what this thread would be like if we where getting the money the minis deserve, and the economy was good for us breeders. Not sure if people would be thinking of gelding.

We got into minis to have a hobby, and enjoy our retirement to keep us busy and yes admit having babies is a great enjoyment for us.

This year no foals.

Well, the thing is here only have 5 mares for breeding, and 3 geldings for showing and only 1 stallion.

We find this is enjoyable and gives us something to do and keeps us busy enough.

We have been around horses for 25 years, and would not give this up unless circumstances change that we can no longer enjoy what we love best.

To your question, love my 3 geldings ....

Just wondering what this thread would be like if we where getting the money the minis deserve, and the economy was good for us breeders. Not sure if people would be thinking of gelding.
I sure was and did at that time! That's when I gelded a gorgeous, supreme champion BTU son, my champion show stallions, a gorgeous little leopard, etc. I've never lacked appreciation for NICE quality geldings.

I'm glad to see that there are responsibe people that see that there are just too many minis!
default_aktion033.gif
But, I don't understand why anyone would keep breeding with intentions on keeping all or most of the foals. Unexpected things can happen, and you have to find homes for them. And I personally can't see how most people can afford or enjoy having so many to care for. I am very happy having just one mini (luckily he is a people horse and doesn't care to be with other horses). I am able to spend more time with him and can afford to take excellent care of him. I would hate to ever have to sell a horse in order to save another, which is what I often see in some of the ads.
default_sad.png
Having fewer foals born every year, and training the adult horses (mares included)would help make them more marketable, and only breed the best quality horses with good minds!
default_yes.gif

I don't think most of the people that have said they are going to stop breeding, are the ones that have stallions that wouldn't make show geldings. I know with my boys, they are all either (I hope) show quality or have already proven themselves in the show ring. I know the difference. I am keeping a colt that I bred and foaled out to show next year as a yearling colt, is this so I can breed him later??? NO its because I have two awesome colts that are the same height class so to show them both, one had to be a colt and the other one will be a gelding.

I think any breeding program should put their money where their mouth is, to say your horses are show quaility but you just don't want to show is a cop out. I can say that all day long about mine but until they are in the ring and being competitve, then they are just horses, like the other 200 + foals born every year. I know show quaility can mean a number of things, but proven and prospect are two different things. Maybe more people should look at the word proven differently. To me proven is a mare or stallion that has offspring competing and winning. To most people proven means they can have offspring. Horses with bad comformation can have babies, doesn't make them worthy of reproducing.

So while there are several people that have decided that breeding just isn't for them, there are a lot more that will never see it and will keep producing for the pet market, which is now flooded as well. And to me this includes a lot of big farms too. Just because you have 100 doesn't mean you should be producing 100 ( or for some farms whatever of the 100 make it out alive).

In general, I think this topic is getting a little off base from what the OP inquired. I think it was merely meant as "are you no longer breeding/gelding and what is your story behind it".

My reasons, as stated, and very bluntly put, sometimes dealing with the human element of it all just really sucks! In my case,even if it was a great market, my choice would still be the same.

I think that anyone that chooses to geld, regardless of the outstanding or less than stellar quality of the horse, should be applauded for taking those steps if they feel it is the right choice for them.

Sometimes these topics go so far off base, with different takes on things.... from those "big farms oughta do this and that", to "well that thing really needed to be gelded",

As I said, anyoneone willing to step up, spend their cash and geld, regardless of the quality or reason, should be applauded for taking a proactive step.

Carolyn, thats where I am. I thought I could raise one or two a year to show, but I just don't enjoy foaling out mares. Its not that I don't have quality horses, everything I breed has proven it can win in World or Nationals show rings. But no matter how good they are, and they have produced foals that we will be showing, I just don't like foaling mares. So I will not be foaling out a mare again. My stallion might be gelded or we might just take him out to show again, I don't know. I do know I won't be raising anything for myself again. To many nice horses out there to pick from without the issues of getting them on the ground alive and healthy.

I LOVE geldings, and I've gelded horses that I've even had some judges ask me right there in the show ring why I gelded them!
default_smile.png
Colts that have received Grand Championships in Halter have still been gelded. I've never regretted gelding any of them after the fact. I don't just geld and sell either, I keep several geldings here. I wish that geldings were more valued too. I have a friend who sold an accomplished show gelding several years ago for $7500; he went on to do a whole lot more winning and his owners adore him. I think that if miniature shows offered pay outs like big horse shows do, the geldings would suddenly become much more valuable.

I gelding our last stallion last year. Best decision I ever made I now own 5 geldings and 2 mares well ok if you count the big horses 6 geldings and 3 mares.

Everyone is happier including myself I loved the babies but the reality for me was that while I was producing decent babies I was not producing National Champion babies therefore I was adding to the surplus of horses and decided it was best to stop. My horses love all being together- I love it as well so much easier and saves me a lot of time. All in all I am only sorry I did not make the decision sooner

I made the decision just a couple of days ago to geld my stallion and I was always planning on gelding his colt if I still had him this fall. I have many different reasons why I decided to quit breeding. personal, financial and world economy are a few. I love my little horses and I loved having the babies. I am also working alot more than I was so I will not be able to watch mares like I used to so also have the mares' safety in mind. I have been doing this since 93'. I think its time for my life to take a new direction...

Back