Gelding The Stallions && Stopped Breeding

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Wolf Ranch

Reaction score
Long story short, I've decided that with this economy and the number of Miniature Horse breeders out there, I'm not adding to the population anymore. I had four stallions on the premises at one time - Sampson, Ranger, Timmy and Azul and so I sold Azul to a loving family in NC who is driving and showing him. I've since decided that I am having Ranger and Timmy gelded, along with the two colts born here this past March - Smitten and Braveheart. So I guess I will have FOUR geldings here at the farm once fall sets in and the flies go away!
default_yes.gif

I am still back and forth on whether or not to geld Sampson as he is such a nice and handsome boy....I'm going to wait on him seeing as he's not hard to handle and I have the proper facilities to seperate him from the girls, but odds are he is doing to get snipped as well! Before I got to thinking that I wanted to stop breeding and geld all the boys, I did breed one mare for 2012 - Allula who had lost her filly this March. So regardless of what she has, that little one will be staying too!
default_wub.png
I think I figured out I just can't let my little ones go - I get to attached LOL.
default_rolleyes.gif
So my one and only girl who may be bred for next year is going to be closely monitored, once again!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SO HOW MANY OF YOU HAVE DECIDED TO GELD THE BOYS AND STOP BREEDING? It was a hard decision, but atleast now I get to enjoy my new geldings come this fall!
default_aktion033.gif
In this economy, and with so many breeders it just doesn't make sense for everyone who has a stallion to be breeding! Not to mention I know of several farms around me that breed 15-20 foals per farm, per year - it adds up fast folks! You can get a show quality miniature horse for a STEAL now a days, especially if it's a colt....you're lucky to get a fourth of what they were worth a few years back.
default_sad.png
I decided that showing and enjoying my minis was a LOT more fun, a LOT less stressful, a LOT less heartache and a LOT less expensive than breeding. Two DOA mini foals and two live mini foals later, I've seen the pros and cons and personally, I think I will stick to the showing and buying!

With so many other people breeding on the East Coast alone - if there is something that I want here at my farm, I'm bound to find it available for sale by a breeder and this way, you get EXACTLY what you want!

Here are my soon-to-be show geldings......

Ranger......(pictured at 3 y/o - now is 4 y/o) please excuse the funny angle lol

32276_1452167265381_1269258589_31311058_8092811_n.jpg

Timmy......(pictured as an almost 2 y/o - now is 3 y/o)

11k9po5.jpg

Smitten.......(pictured at 5 months old this month)

285040_2253624301306_1269258589_32756099_7014229_n.jpg

Braveheart........(pictured at one week old, now is 5 months old)

braaveheart.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I am gelding two this fall and keeping two intact only because we will be showing them. Otherwise there will be no more foals born here. Just not my cup of tea and I see no need in adding to the miniature horse population growth. What we had born here will be shown next year.

That's my thinking as well, why add to the huge population and just enjoy the ones we have? All my "new geldings" will be shown starting next year - I look forward to many happy years with these boys as geldings! If my mare is bred for 2012, that foal will be the last for a long time, or until I want another "keeper" here at the farm!
default_biggrin.png

I didn't breed any mares last year, so no foals this year for the same reasons, plus the cost of vet care has gone sky high, and just one dystocia is finacially a killer. I'm concentrating on training my yearlings and have offered two of my four stallions for sale, but have decided if they don't go to new homes soon they will be gelded as I feel that way they will be more happy running with the other geldings and not going through the stress of breeding. My hubby's stallion will stay intact for now until I see what the market does in the next few years. No foals for next year either. I will be breeding four mares next spring that are going to be sold in foal. You're right about it here in the east. lots of horses trying to be sold, on the farm and at auction, prices are dirt cheap. Hay is going to be scarce this year because of lack of rain, and one of our suppliers has passed and his wife is selling out. another fact of life is we are getting older and it's hard to find help.

This is River Rose Prince Charming soon to be a gelding this fall:

100_1104.jpg

And this is his son, born last year, just waiting for him to drop, but will be gelded, River Rose Jumping Jack:

100_1033.jpg

Ive personally considered it too.

BUT hers my problem...

1 of my boys whos not really good quality has been a stallion for so long (12yrs old) is such a meany to others, no matter if hes gelded or not, ill have to still keep him seperated. So no breeding him, and just keep him a happy stud and not waste my $ on gelding him.

My other boy, ill sell him before gelding him cause hes so nice with awesome confirmation, and he's also one of the last King Supreme sons born. So hes a rare gem. I did breed him this yr to 3 mares, but because I worked so hard and love him so much, ill keep him a stud, and let him continue being one even if I dont breed in the future and let him be my pasture pet.
default_smile.png

BUT I do beleive 2012 will be my last yr of foals also!

Y'ep, but for completely different reasons! Plenty of reasonably priced hay, plenty of space, nice new barn, blessed with my husband having a good job, I can no longer deal with the thought of a foal or a mini I have raised being "todays treasure" and "tomorrows trash"! Not people that have fallen on bad times, but rather those that just loose interest, buy too many, overcrowd and get in over their heads or just don't educate themselves on proper horse husbandry skills. Done, Done, Done with breeding!

My Buck Echo son will be gelded this fall at 18 years of age (even if my team of vets thinks it should be done at a 24/7 care facility rather than at the farm, doesn't matter, it will be done), I am keeping my favorite girl, others have been placed or I am trying to do so now. Sorry, I just can't bring myself to geld my Buckeroo son Dreamer, hopeing he is able to find that special herd of his own. I have a beautiful mare that loves being a mom and has alot to offer as a broodmare, but.....

Sadly it is a double edged sword, even when I did breed, it was only 1-2 a year, so of course, now that I am no longer breeding, I hear "well what's wrong with her since she isn't in foal?" Absolutely nothing, You want her bred, put a non refundable deposit down please!

So sadly one is either viewed as irresponsible and creating unwanted foals or on the other end of the spectrum one is veiwed as trying to sell a mare "that must have baggage". Nope, sorry, just trying to be responsible, I know, it's hard for many to wrap their minds around people like "us" .

MindyLee-one of my 'studdiest' stallions was gelded last year at 16 years of age. He was a nasty little thing and loved to pick fights. I gelded him and he was a terror for a few months and then started to settle down. I have him with my mares and foals (he is the designated babysitter which is very cute) and he helps me wean the foals come fall. He takes such good care of everyone and definitely thinks they're his herd. I keep him away from my other mature stallions that he used to fight with all the time, but he does great with the foals and the young colts (weanling-3). Just thought i'd throw that out there in case you ever might reconsider gelding your boy. I didn't expect mine to turn out as well as he did.

I go back and forth with this in my head...I'm just now getting back into the horses and have found a really nice stallion that I've "grown up" from a weanling (Khan is 2 now) and next year would be his 1st breeding season. Yet, like many of you, I see all these NICE horses being sold for next to nothing and I don't breed tons of foals a year anyway...most I've ever bred in one year was 3. I kind of want to see what Khan does at Nationals this year (he is a National Champion Futurity winner) and see what kind of foals he puts on the ground with the few breeding age mares I have. So, with him at least I will make that decision in 2013 at the latest.

My other 2 boys are for sale and if not sold in the next few months when it cools off a bit, they will become geldings! I don't need more than one stallion and these 2 will make exceptional geldings!

I love the babies, but I really enjoy showing, so that is where my passion lies with the horses. Having some really nice show geldings is really what I enjoy!

I don't even bat an eye anymore at people who geld their very best stallion...I just say "WOW, that is an amazing gelding!"

So sadly one is either viewed as irresponsible and creating unwanted foals or on the other end of the spectrum one is veiwed as trying to sell a mare "that must have baggage". Nope, sorry, just trying to be responsible, I know, it's hard for many to wrap their minds around people like "us" .

Isn't that the truth! People will say to me, you have all those mares and only breed a few every other year, How do they earn their keep? why is she for sale, is she a cull, doesn't she have a foal every year for you? No! I give my mares a year off and don't bred with foal at heel. No! Not culls, just need to be able to properly care for all of them, can't do that if there are too many to feed, groom and give attention to. Horses are not machines, they need a lot of love and care, some just look at it as a business only. Sorry, my horses have feelings and deserve more then to be treated like breeding machines. Of course if I had about 200 acres of lush grass and could afford all the other costs involved I wouldn't be concerned as I'd keep them all.

This picture is HORRIBLE - she is really dirty has hardly had anything done except for hoof trims and vaccines since I had knee surgery in May, but from this picture you can see this is a nice little mare. She has a lovely head, trot to die for and really is a sweetheart and yet, she was a freebie. This is the state of minis (and horses in general) in my area (Western WA).

I think breeders should breed if they want more for themselves &/or have really special stock... I don't understand the mentality of breeding large numbers of foals no matter what the economy.

293944_2296996621606_1149824875_2837870_2782889_n.jpg

Im going to be gelding my stallion this year
default_sad.png
..hes 17 years old and had his first (and last) foal last week..hes such a softie but i will be keeping his daughter and his wife forever so 2 girls in season would mean he would be spending alot of time alone..think its best alround if he becomes a gelding so they can all live together happily ever after
default_wub.png

I stopped breeding in 2007 and gelded several of my stallions.No market and STUPID buyers who wouldn't listen about care needed for a Mini.Their stupidity killed 2 of my nicest foals I had sold to them.Guess they figured I din't learn anything in over 20 years of having Minis and a lifetime of horses.I still own 1 stallion who is with a friend, but he will have to come back due to drought in Texas.Trying to decide what to do with him.My geldings are having here hanging out with the mares and each other.I'm down to 6 Minis 4 who have health issues.

I have stopped breeding and now only have 3 geldings, 2 of which I show, the other is retired after he got his HOF. My goal with the other 2 is to get their HOF and then may look for another horse in the near future, maybe 2012. I'm wanting to get a filly but will be showing her before I decide to breed her or not and if I do I will send her off to get bred. I don't need to own a stallion and I rather pay stud fees for a really nice one.

I decided not to breed any mares for next year, but I also decided to add a third stallion who I think is a real knock out to our program because I have no intention of "quitting". The new boy brings a triple dose of a bloodline I have wanted to add for a number of years, is physically a good match for many of our mares, and has some pretty spiffy National titles as well.

We have had many very nice boys gelded in the past including a BTU son, several multi champion show stallions, gorgeous home bred colts, ETC. At this time, I cannot even imagine gelding Destiny, DunIT or our new little "Squirt" at any time in the foreseeable future. I'm proud of their accomplishments and the two that have produced foals have not let me down in that department, either.

I spent years learning about miniatures and showing before I put a breeding program together and am a responsible owner and breeder. I feel no shame in keeping the guys we've decided to have as our stallions "whole". They are a big part of my heart and Harvey and I both are dedicated to giving them good and interesting lives, even though they are stallions and cannot socialize as freely with other horses as our mares and geldings can.

We all, I hope, try to do what is right. Personally, I can name quite a number of breeders that I do not want to see "quit". It's been so exciting to see outstanding foal crops year after year and improvement upon which you'd almost doubt could be improved. People who have vision, the right horses, and a sense of responsibility to their animals are behind why some of us have outstanding horses to call their own.

Plenty of people who do breed minis probably shouldn't be, but there are some outstanding programs out there, and a number of those breeders are members of LB. I personally appreciate their contributions to the breed and the insights they've been willing to share on horsemanship here on this forum.

Riverrose28 said:
Isn't that the truth! People will say to me, you have all those mares and only breed a few every other year, How do they earn their keep? why is she for sale, is she a cull, doesn't she have a foal every year for you? No! I give my mares a year off and don't bred with foal at heel. No! Not culls, just need to be able to properly care for all of them, can't do that if there are too many to feed, groom and give attention to. Horses are not machines, they need a lot of love and care, some just look at it as a business only. Sorry, my horses have feelings and deserve more then to be treated like breeding machines. Of course if I had about 200 acres of lush grass and could afford all the other costs involved I wouldn't be concerned as I'd keep them all.
Way to go, you two!
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah
default_aktion033.gif
I almost bit my tongue off keeping quiet when someone I know decided a few years ago that since she couldn't sell her mare...i.e. this mare was so unmarketable that no one wanted her...she'd just go ahead and breed her to make her more attractive.
default_doh.gif
I was like "seriously?? Yes, because what the world needs is two of her."
default_frusty.gif

I am 100% with those who have decided to enjoy the horses they have instead of always trying to make more. The world does not need more. There are many good horses out there who need homes and you know if you still want a foal, someone, somewhere will certainly still be breeding it! At least on the positive side of things it looks like this economic downturn may finally encourage the popularity of mini performance geldings. That would be a good thing by any measure! More performance horses means more tack being sold, more training being sought, more entries in the shows....

Yep. Geld 'em and enjoy 'em.
default_thumbup.gif

Leia

This boy makes me drool... look at that hip! I think he is just gorgeous.
Thank you, his sire seems to throw lovely driving types, and halter horses, it's a shame to geld him, but I havn't exposed him to any mares in two years and in order to keep him he would be better off gelded and running with a herd. This little colt or should I say big guy as he is already 35"'s has been given to my grandson, as I can't part with him. In order for my 10 year old grandson to show him he needs to be gelded. Hubby said that all foals should be sold, so I put this guy on my web site at a crazy high price hoping no one would bite, so hubby finally gave in and said I could give him to my grand son. I don't know if you can tell from the picture but he is a dun with a dark dorsal stip and barring. His dam is my Area One Champion produce of mare Stump Hollows Cinder, and I have never sold any of her foals, she is now 20 years old and will live with me for the rest of her life, God willing. I do have more pictures if you want to see him, and in your opinion do you think I should take a chance and send him to a trainer to teach him to drive? We don't drive. Thanks. Sorry, not to highjack the thread, please forgive me.

We gelded two in the spring (a 16 yr old stallion and his son) and have at least two for this fall - post fly season - possibly four will get gelded, that's depending on a few things and they may wait until Winter/Spring 2012.

We exposed a few mares this year, but my nerves about the economy kicked in and I pulled them all (less than two weeks in with the stallion), so if they're all open (hoping) I'm fine with that. I doubt I'll breed in 2012 unless our economy seriously turns around. Fortunately our breeding stock is all relatively young, so we can wait out the economy - hoping/crossing fingers/praying it gets better soon.

It's a hard call on what to do and I think an individual decision.

Not here. I've been working at this for far too long to just throw in the towel now.
default_yes.gif
However, though we have over 20 breeding age mares, we bred just five of them last year and only four for next year. I'm keeping three of the four live foals we had this year too, and also kept half of last year's small, )six foals) foal crop. I'm pleased with how my breeding program is going, so even though it's basically slowed down to a crawl, I'm in it for the long haul.
default_saludando.gif

Latest posts

Back