Gelding And Show Halters

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MDMminis

Reaction score
I was wondering when it would be a good time to geld a pony? I didn't want to do it to young but asap so i can show him. Also i'm edgy on getting a show halter i'm afraid he might grow out of it to quick or it could be to big etc. I like the arabian type but i found one at a tack store and its a normal horse type halter in miniature size she said its refundable. So should i get it and see how it fits, its 5 way adjustable? I'm having to many people give me differnt suggestions so i thought i'd ask some miniature people
default_smile.png
. So any advice on when to geld him and start looking at halter sizes? Thanks

Do you mean at what age to geld,or what season?How old is he?I've heard its best to geld when flys aren't really bad,but also not when its to cold,because you may want to hose the incision to help with the swelling,and I dont think that would be real pleasant in winter!
default_rolleyes.gif
: You can search the forum for info on gelding to.For the halter,Im not sure,but you can look on ebay,or minitack to get some ideas.Hope this helps.
default_yes.gif
:

Oh,and there's another post on gelding,you might want to check it out.

the pony in my avatar is a weanling that we just bought. He got gelded right before we got him at 4 months. As early as possible is best imo. That way they never get studdy acting or more studdy acting. Jet was done by the sign of the moon

I agree, if you have no reason to keep him intact the earlier the better. As soon as you can feel them in the scrutum, off they come.

If i was buying a horse, i would really like it to be gelded as soon as it was weaned. If not and you wait untill there 4yrs old ..you get a horse like my Royal, a gelding in major denial lol. If i ever start breeding, all my horses will be gelded before they leave with there new owner unless otherwized stated. If your talking about copper, as soon as he calmed down and you got him to where you can handle him to get him gelded i would get him done. I think it would be best to do so before there a year old.

Kay what do you mean when you say Jet was gelded by the sign of the moon?

Leeana H.

leanna

most breeders and veternarians prefer to geld by the moon. It makes it easier on them and most believe they heal faster. YOu can look in farmer almanac and it will give you the best moon phase to geld in
default_smile.png
sounds kinda silly but it really does make a difference. I know you couldnt even tell jet had just been gelded

None of the repro vets I've worked with used the moon to guide any castration, and I can't say we ever had a problem other than the one vet that just couldn't castrate anything.

nathan i have done it both ways and I have to say horses gelded by the moon did MUCH better then horses that werent. Sometimes the old farmers know so much more then any repro vet
default_smile.png
And I want to point out that the veternarians that do go by the moon as adamant about it.

If your wondering on how to fit a halter this is somthing i copied off a website that sells show halters....

To measure for your Halter

Start where you would like the ring to set on the side of the face.

From this point measure up, over the bridle path & back down to apx the same place on the other side.

This will give you an apx head length.

For better fit most of our halters have 4in of head length adjustment.

To measure for the noseband start again where you would want the top of the ring to set,

then measure across the top of muzzle to apx the same place on the other side,

This will give you a noseband measurement.

XS 14in-18in head length x 6in Noseband width - Especially for babies & very tiny minis

Small 16-20 x 7 Fits many larger babies weanling, yearlings and very small adults

Med 20-24 x 8 Our most popular size for most A minis & B with petite heads

Large 24-28 X 8.5 Fits some larger A minis, many B minis, baby ponies & some tiny foals

XL 26-30 x 9 Fits some big B minis, Ponies, Many "horse" foals, Some Petite Arabians.

I've helped castrate several dozen stallions... I think that's a reasonable group to draw my comment from. I'll castrate when I'm good and ready, not when some book tells the the sun and the moon are aligned correctly
default_smile.png

Which, by the way, I don't do. I won't castrate my own horses unless there is a very good reason for it, but I have no problem doing other people's. Not that that relates to the thread at all...

Latest posts

Back