Gelding A Stallion

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minicrazy22393

Reaction score
I was at the tack shop the other day and noticed a 3 yr. old stallion for sale. This horse sounds perfect except for the stallion part. I thought about getting him gelded. My friend told me that he might still have the stallion-like behaviors. Could you describe to me what these behaviors might be like? And how much is it usually to get gelded?

Our vets name is Smith and it costed $150 to get Coco gelded about 2yrs ago.

My classic shetland, Royal, he was gelded at 5yrs old last summer in June and IMO today he still acts like a stallion for the most part. Royal doesnt notice mares but he will notice stallions and sometimes geldings and get all puffed up and 'hot'. When i take him down to my dads barn (we have to walk through the barn isle to get to my dads big pasture, royal will know when he gets near my dads ponys stall (who is a gelding) ..Royal gets puffed up and makes his stud noises and prancies and one thing i've noticed is when when we walk by the stall as soon as we get past it Royals tail will go straight up and he will strut, deff a stallion quality. I love his spice but then agian there is a huge difference between that 'spice' and being completely out of control like a stallions hormones could do.

I'd say gelding 2-3yrs is somewhat average ..of course some people geld when there yearlings but i'd say 2-3 is average for most people.

Coco was gelded at 2yrs old and doesnt act studly at all in any way shape and/or form.

You live here in Senica right? I know a few people around these parts w/ ponies for sale, i may know the horse or be able to help you out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its possible for a 10yo stallion to be castrated and instantly behave like a gelding, and its possible to have a 2mo colt castrated and act like a stallion for the rest of his life, you just can't tell. The vast majority of stallions loose interest in a matter of weeks, along with the ability to get an erection and to ejaculate. Testosterone is gone in a matter of hours (usually one day or so). Gelding can be cheap or it can not, it really depends on your location. $150 unfortinately is no longer average, with prices easily hitting $350. I think we charge $75 here... it varies a lot. I'd call up your local vet and ask what their prices are, they are so different its difficult to say.

Latest posts

Back